3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
December 3, 2018, 12:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,389
Gold Stars: 56
Thomas set up both goals I thought for him he had a quiet game but two assists I will take that every week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
moosey_club
December 3, 2018, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Thomas set up both goals I thought for him he had a quiet game but two assists I will take that every week

We were having the discussion during the game regards Thomas...for a large proportion of the game he was on a hiding to nothing as the service was poor, Macca's kicks didnt go anywhere near him half the time and he was outnumbered throughout....
however it was noticeable that he virtually didn't move outside of the centre circle when we were defending in open play...he never came across to the likely channel were the ball may be cleared which i thought was quite inept of him...while others thought it must be a clear directive he has rather than his personal decision/ awareness. By him staying central it maybe would leave the channels open for others.  Not sure.

For me he could be more effective not only for his own involvement but for the team, with a bit more anticipation in situations like that then being in the likely area should save energy, give him a fighting chance of retaining the ball helping relieve pressure, it also puts the defenders under pressure preventing them picking a team mate out and possibly having to put the ball straight into touch.

Lovely turn to set Clifton up though.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
1mickylyons
December 3, 2018, 12:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,389
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from moosey_club

We were having the discussion during the game regards Thomas...for a large proportion of the game he was on a hiding to nothing as the service was poor, Macca's kicks didnt go anywhere near him half the time and he was outnumbered throughout....
however it was noticeable that he virtually didn't move outside of the centre circle when we were defending in open play...he never came across to the likely channel were the ball may be cleared which i thought was quite inept of him...while others thought it must be a clear directive he has rather than his personal decision/ awareness. By him staying central it maybe would leave the channels open for others.  Not sure.

For me he could be more effective not only for his own involvement but for the team, with a bit more anticipation in situations like that then being in the likely area should save energy, give him a fighting chance of retaining the ball helping relieve pressure, it also puts the defenders under pressure preventing them picking a team mate out and possibly having to put the ball straight into touch.

Lovely turn to set Clifton up though.

I have too say Thomas has impressed me since he got match fit he generally works the centre halves even on his own and his lay offs are good.Like you point out his hold up play leaves a bit to be desired BUT I wager he will do Town a massive favour with Cardwell/Rose/Vernam I have high hopes for those 3 and their recent goals will have given them a huge confidence boost.Were scoring goals now and a Month or so ago it didn`t look likely did it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 3, 2018, 12:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Thomas plays more like Lump than LJL.

My guess is he is at least in part playing to orders. Keep the centre backs occupied by being around and we will always know where to find you (if and when we hit a decent ball out from the back ).

He's good at the layoffs when he gets the chance like for Clifton and his nod on for Vernam from the corner was class.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
Tommy
December 3, 2018, 1:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
I missed the first half hour but watched the rest at home.

Sounded like we weathered a storm early on but from the moment i switched it on we were pretty comfortable. Not very composed as the first half ended but certainly some better spells of football and some half-decent breaks forward.

Second half we were a class above them. Moved the ball around really well at times and broke forward very effectively.

Embleton fantastic at drifting into areas behind Chesterfield's midfield where he could pick the ball up on the half-turn and run at their back 4. Hessenthaler and Clifton were very good at finding him and eliminating several Chesterfield players with one pass.

The longer the game went on, we should've scored a good few more than we did. The BBC highlights don't show all our breaks forward in the 2nd half because it seems like they're instructed to only show shots on target. And most of the time we didn't hit the target from decent positions. We seemed to get forward countless times with Clifton joining Vernam, Embleton and Thomas in attack, often against just 3 or 4 defenders. We just didn't take advantage enough of the situations we got into in the final third.

Great set piece for our first goal. Great corner from Pringle and a fantastic flick on from Thomas.
Second goal very well worked, great work by Thomas and a great run off the ball initially from Clifton. Luckily he got a second bite at it as the better decision would've been to square for an Embleton tap-in really.

Thought Martin Allen looked a bit clueless on what to do and don't think he'll be there much longer.

We look to be really developing as a side. With an identity, a structure to what we're doing, and a core of young players at the heart of it. Exciting and interesting times I think.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
Tommy
December 3, 2018, 1:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Also on the set-piece front, that's the third game in a row we've scored a goal from a set-piece.

Before these last 3 games we'd previously only scored once from a set-piece this season.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
grimsby pete
December 3, 2018, 2:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,830
Gold Stars: 222
Regarding Thomas and where he positions himself when we are defending,

I just can't see Jolley saying to him" stand where you like"

Wes will do what MJ tells him to do and stand where he is instructed,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
RoboCod
December 3, 2018, 2:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Tommy

Great set piece for our first goal. Great corner from Pringle and a fantastic flick on from Thomas.

Really like Pringles technique. His crosses aren't overhit with too much pace as we were seeing at the seasons start, he 'sits the ball up' as the pundits say.
His corners are great, that clever style where you' almost facing 90 degrees away from where the ball is going, with a little twist of the ankle and hips to give a wicked spin to fade/dip the ball.
Hope the set-pieces can really pick up with him and Embletons delivery quality.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Bus

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.