Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 2023/24 RETAINED LIST
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

2023/24 RETAINED LIST

This thread currently has 35,845 views. Print
21 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
wiggers
April 30, 2024, 6:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +475
Gold Stars: 11
I actually think that most of the players did genuinely care. A combination of ability and questionable coaching is the reason we finished were we did. As much as I respect and thank Gav for his contribution to the GTFC cause we need better if we don’t want to be circling the relegation drain next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 203
Spurn boy
April 30, 2024, 7:02pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from chipsandgravy
Now the dust has settled a little I can honestly say that the only departure that has disappointed me is Gav. Anyone at Morecambe away, when he missed a sitter that would have won us the game, saw what it meant to him at the final whistle. He was distraught and left the field almost immediately. Its not very often you get players that care that much for his club and team mates.
Sentimentality can't come into it when budgets are tight and you need to build a newish squad and I fully get that. I'm sure it wasn't easy either not offering him a contract. I think he will be missed on and off the field and thank him for some memorable moments.

I think both Gav and Harry have both struggled this season, that doesn’t mean they are not good enough but as our position in the league shows we need players who can perform consistently and neither of these two have although they have both been committed to trying their best.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 203
Maringer
April 30, 2024, 7:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,756
Gold Stars: 189
There's no(t much) room for sentiment in the professional game.

Holohan has done a good job for us and scored some important goals, but his race is run after this season. Not involved enough when we aren't in possession and has just missed too many chances this season which could have made up for that. He'll do a decent job somewhere else for a few seasons yet, though possibly not in the League.

It will interesting to see which way we go this summer. Young, up and comers or a bit more experience? A mixture of both is probably best, but it would be nice to have a young loanee or two from a higher division club who really kicked on and made themselves indispensable. A Paterson-type to play alongside Rose would be amazing. Yes, I know, probably too much to hope for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 203
Hagrid
April 30, 2024, 7:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,526
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from Maringer
There's no(t much) room for sentiment in the professional game.

Holohan has done a good job for us and scored some important goals, but his race is run after this season. Not involved enough when we aren't in possession and has just missed too many chances this season which could have made up for that. He'll do a decent job somewhere else for a few seasons yet, though possibly not in the League.

It will interesting to see which way we go this summer. Young, up and comers or a bit more experience? A mixture of both is probably best, but it would be nice to have a young loanee or two from a higher division club who really kicked on and made themselves indispensable. A Paterson-type to play alongside Rose would be amazing. Yes, I know, probably too much to hope for.

Still got the most assists in the entire side though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 203
GollyGTFC
April 30, 2024, 8:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,982
Gold Stars: 372
Quoted from Hagrid

Still got the most assists in the entire side though.

Yeah, but worked out at assists per minute he’s behind both Glennon (assist every 306 minutes) and Green (assist every 408.5 minutes). Gav had an assist every 416.3 minutes).

*technicaly Callum Ainley is top but he only played 96 minutes all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 174 - 203
IlkleyMariner
April 30, 2024, 9:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,030
Gold Stars: 69
Nice to see all departing players got their legends certificate before leaving.
The club have a positive ethos about the place, despite nasty social media
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 203
Limerick Mariner
April 30, 2024, 9:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,800
Gold Stars: 139
In reality, there wasn’t much flex available in the decision-making. As per DA on DN35 we are already having to bring in 11 or 12. I agree with the decisions made. Maher is a bit unlucky but had to be released if we want to bring in a first choice CB. I suspect the data supported Hume being offered over Glennon. Glennon’s level of fitness has looked poor right from the start at Mansfield, whilst I’m not yet fully convinced by Hume he looks the better athlete. Gav has his own thread because he’s been an outstanding Mariner, but time is right for him to move on - perhaps York, maybe back to Pools or even Boston if they beat Brackley. Eisa a no brainer.

So that really just leaves the Green and Clifton decisions. If we think about formation options in basic terms - 5-3-2, 4-3-3 and 4-4-2, both have a key squad role in 2 out of 3 of these. Harry as a WB in the 5 or as a wide player shoring up one side in a 4-4-2. Green on the bench or starter if we have injuries in both the 3s in midfield. Retention of either doesn’t prejudice bringing a first choice WB, winger or CM, we’d only have recruit more players for squad depth if they were released.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 203
gtfc_chris
April 30, 2024, 9:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,522
Gold Stars: 118
It's strange to think that at the end of the season there's no disagreement about Eisa leaving. Again, we cite the need for goals and creativity yet the guy who's our second top goalscorer is released to much fanfare.

If I were the manager, and knowing how I like to play I would have kept him as he'd suit what I like. Obviously DA doesn't think he'll suit and I think that became evident in how he seemed to do little when we were out of possession. When the team is doing well that kind of player is ok, when you're having to dig in you can't afford passengers and I think that's what we've all seen and base our conclusion on.

There's something almost humorous in that if you'd have said in October that we'll be releasing Eisa in the summer there'd have been riots. Skip 6 months and no-one really cares much for him. Certainly shows how quickly things can change in football.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 203
Limerick Mariner
April 30, 2024, 10:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,800
Gold Stars: 139
Quoted from gtfc_chris
It's strange to think that at the end of the season there's no disagreement about Eisa leaving. Again, we cite the need for goals and creativity yet the guy who's our second top goalscorer is released to much fanfare.

If I were the manager, and knowing how I like to play I would have kept him as he'd suit what I like. Obviously DA doesn't think he'll suit and I think that became evident in how he seemed to do little when we were out of possession. When the team is doing well that kind of player is ok, when you're having to dig in you can't afford passengers and I think that's what we've all seen and base our conclusion on.

There's something almost humorous in that if you'd have said in October that we'll be releasing Eisa in the summer there'd have been riots. Skip 6 months and no-one really cares much for him. Certainly shows how quickly things can change in football.....

A bit of basic research by opposition coaching has all that has been required to close off his only real contribution the 20 yarders. He’s a passenger when we are out of possession, in possession he doesn’t work hard enough to find space or anticipate where to make to the right runs into space. Since the early games he’s only been anything like effective against the schoolboy defending of Notts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 203
RonMariner
May 1, 2024, 12:01am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,918
Gold Stars: 233
Someone mentioned sending young players to Scunthorpe for game time. I think that is  a good idea. NLN is a higher standard of football then you would get at Clee Town or GY Borough, and the Scunts will probably need players once their budget is slashed. So it is an arrangement that possibly could suit both clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 203
21 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 2023/24 RETAINED LIST

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.