2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner John
May 4, 2024, 11:02am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +632
Gold Stars: 54
Unlike most people, I have an interest in politics. It's such a shame that many don't.  In my opinion that's the main reason this country currently sucks. If I wasn't almost 70 I would leave.  There are 1000s that always vote the same way, it's as though they can't see what's been happening or simply don't care. It's only local it won't affect me. Erm it will and does.

The media makes things worse as it's 99% owned or run by Tories. The TV news is an utter disgrace and couldn't be more biased if it even worse blue rosettes

The lies approaching the election will only get bigger yet the voters apathy may stay the same.

Please vote at the election you never know your lives could become better. Vote for who is better not maybe who you always vote for
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
May 4, 2024, 5:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from Mariner John
Unlike most people, I have an interest in politics. It's such a shame that many don't.  In my opinion that's the main reason this country currently sucks. If I wasn't almost 70 I would leave.  There are 1000s that always vote the same way, it's as though they can't see what's been happening or simply don't care. It's only local it won't affect me. Erm it will and does.

The media makes things worse as it's 99% owned or run by Tories. The TV news is an utter disgrace and couldn't be more biased if it even worse blue rosettes

The lies approaching the election will only get bigger yet the voters apathy may stay the same.

Please vote at the election you never know your lives could become better. Vote for who is better not maybe who you always vote for

I've thought the BBC have been anti Conservative in recent times?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
codcheeky
May 4, 2024, 8:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,262
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from promotion plaice

Is this irony?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
Maringer
May 5, 2024, 9:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189

Robbie Gibb:  Downing Street director of communications 2017-2019, given a knighthood by May as part of her resignation honours and now a director of the BBC, reportedly using his influence to set the agenda of BBC reporting. We can't be certain of this, because the BBC has refused a FoI request to view any incriminating e-mails because it would be, "too expensive". Interesting to see what Emily Maitliss had to say about him. Oh, he 'owns' The Jewish Chronicle as well, though he won't say who provided the funding for his consortium. I'm obviously not bothered that he's involved with the paper, but the fact he's completely opaque about the funding doesn't exactly inspire confidence when so many dodgy characters already own media outlets in this country. Admittedly, it's only a small-scale outlet, but it does help to set the agenda in some areas of politics.

Oh, and Kuenssberg is pretty shameless in her bias, toeing the government's line and being unfair to opposition politicians ever since she's been presenting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
LH
May 5, 2024, 11:26am

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,609
Gold Stars: 177
One of our own posters on here managed to secure a shock Labour win in Scartho.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
Humbercod
May 5, 2024, 3:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,503
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from Mariner John

I agree with you partly. But I’m not quite 70 so I fully intend to get the hell out this shithole of a country. Decades of weak leadership have turned this country into a shadow of its former self.
Once the Labour extremist get power the rest of the country will get the London treatment and our towns like big City will be lost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
Jackal
May 5, 2024, 4:27pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +216
Gold Stars: 16
The Tory party would love to get control of the BBC fully as it’s the only media group powerful enough to expose them and it’s the only one left of any size they don’t have full control of.  

Once its independence is assured I want it to hold all politicians of all persuasions feet to the fire until they are truthful.  Stop the lies!  

We have have had 40!years of failed policies such as privatisation and trickle down economics which has basically sold off the family silver to foreign control and the only establishment left is the NHS which is being sold off as we speak .

By their very nature privatised utilities end up costing more .
The demand for increased returns for shareholders can only be achieved by cutting spending or increasing prices. The market size of utilities is capped by population.

We have cut the state through selling off assets and contracting out to a point whereby there is a lack of skill in the purchasing realm of government. This is the reason it costs so much to build things like a mile of rail track here compared to state controlled systems.  Hence the failure of HS2. The French are building Hinckley because we don’t have the skill set anymore.

The gap between rich and poor is as wide now as it was in Victorian times.  
Our economy doubled in the 30 years after we joined the EU but the average worker didn’t benefit other than having more jobs paying subdued wages.  
Where’s the cash generated by that doubling?  
Follow the graph of the income of the richest 1% as a clue.  

We need a clear out of our ridiculously corrupt and incompetent system . Start with cleaning up the expenses of MPs.  Increase the salary and they pay their own way including house costs .  Travel costs exempted. .  Ban special interest groups used to syphon cash into MPs pockets ( there are 750 of these). No gifts at all.  Civil servants are banned so why not MPs. I don’t care they declare it. Ban it!!

MP candidates can only stand for election after they have lived in the constituency for a min of 5 years to get true representation .

Introduce proportional representation to truly reflect the country’s views. Yes we will get extremists come into view but the parties will all have to compromise on best policy for all and the swing short term Parliament merry go round will stop .

Oh and cut the lords to 200 with an age limit of 75 .  No party members only independents.  
I’d also ban party politics in local government.  National policies never fit in local circumstances.  

Onwards on upwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
ska face
May 6, 2024, 10:25am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,826
Gold Stars: 854

Tweet 1787391724463010161 will appear here...
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
chaos33
May 6, 2024, 4:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,014
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Humbercod

I agree with you partly. But I’m not quite 70 so I fully intend to get the hell out this shithole of a country. Decades of weak leadership have turned this country into a shadow of its former self.
Once the Labour extremist get power the rest of the country will get the London treatment and our towns like big City will be lost.

Same as Farage then - claim you’ll quit this country because it’s been ruined (bogus victimhood classic) but he hasn’t and you won’t either. You lot inflict brexit, set fire to everything then start blabbing and saying you’ll leave. I wish you all would and this country can get past this endless psychodrama.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
PrestwichMariner
May 9, 2024, 4:17pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
It works both ways - I live in Manchester and a lot of acquaintances don't both voting in local elections on the basis that 'if you stuck a red rosette on dog it'd win'. The feeling is that Labour will always win so if you have alternative view (it may surprise some posters to realise these people do exist) then you're wasting your time. Personally I could never bring myself to vote Labour but I always use my vote - you can't complain if you don't as my late father used to say.

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Local elections results

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.