The Grimsby Town FC

Question of the Week

When should John Fenty stand down?

End of season
When successor found
Job for life!


29/07 Lincoln 1st Half

By: Rob Sedgwick
Date: 04/08/2000

Lincoln City 1 Grimsby Town 1
29 July 2000, Friendly

A warm, muggy day in old Lindum Town, with some flashes of lightning visible in the surrounding hills. Lincoln had put some seats in the stand they put us in last year so we were denied to opportunity to indulge in patronising remarks about quaint lower division practices, like standing. The seats were very dusty and covered in cobwebs, which is what happens when you have too many seats and too few fans. The grass was very green and very long. Perhaps too long even for Rugby. The ball travelled unevenly across the pitch and it was obvious that Lincoln were not interested in seeing a passing game. Black and Chapman were in danger of getting lost in the undergrowth.

The Town players limbered up in a familiar pre-match routine - arbitrary jogging, passing and autograph signing. The pre-match murmurs were all about the "big bloke over there". We could identify all but a tallish, dark haired man talking to Pouton. By a process of elimination we decided it must be Raven, despite Mr X looking nothing like Raven's photographs in the GET.

Town lined up in the two tone blue hoops in the usual formation as follows :- Coyne, McDermott, D Smith, Livingstone, Bloomer, Pouton, Burnett, Groves, Black, Allen and Michael Jeffery. Who? WHO? Much head scratching resulted in nothing more than "wasn't there a bloke called Jeffrey who once played for Newcastle a few years ago?". D Smith played at left back, Groves in midfield with Pouton on the right wing. Raven, Handyside, Gallimore, Donovan were all totally absent. The last two, of course, being now physically absent as opposed to their usual state of mental absence, but occupying a Town kit.

1st half

Lincoln (in an odd rugby type red and white quarters top and white shorts) kicked off towards the Town supporters at 3.05. They immediately kicked the ball out of play. Town then passed the ball out of play, allowing them the opportunity to hurl a long throw. Which they did, to the near post where their number 9, Cameron, glanced a header past Coyne (wearing a mustard yellow top, but playing like a lemon). Fortunately, the referee decided that Livvo had been fouled (dubious decision). Within the first 5 minutes Lincoln had got another two long throws into the 6 yard box, which caused Coyne to panic; and a corner, which resulted in a goal. The corner was taken from Town's left, swung to the far post, about 8 yards out. P SMITH was totally unmarked and steered his header between Bloomer and McDermott, who were on the line. Coyne had wandered 5 yards off his line and become stranded under the flight of the ball. In short (which he is), Coyne was nowhere near anything.

Town had done nothing of any note in the first few minutes, there was no urgency or organisation. It looked like a training game. Lincoln had only one aim in life - to win a throw in (or corner, if that failed). There was absolutely nothing else to their game. Basic Cambridge/Tranmere tactics. Of course, this is exactly the sort of game that makes Town crumble. The triumvirate of Livvo, Bloomer and Coyne were nothing short of disastrous when the ball was in the air, which is where Lincoln put it. I counted three free headers in the first half from which Town should have conceded (the headers were weak and ill directed). Apart from the disallowed goal, the goal, a couple of back passes, two over-hit through balls and one catch from a poor cross, Coyne didn't touch the ball in the first half. No shots saved.

Lincoln's centre forward, Gordon, was occasionally plain dirty. In the first couple of minutes he went in late on D Smith when clearing up the line, and also put in a couple of Fashanu-type challenges in the air. Livvo matched fire with fire, placing a forearm smash on the back of D Smith's neck during one challenge. Typically accurate aim from Livvo.

The game went into a bit of a lull after 15 minutes when Town started to gain control of the ball and passed it through and across the midfield. After about 30 minutes it started to rain, which is when Town really took control of the game and Lincoln hardly touched the ball thereafter. Town started to create half chances, Allen turned on the edge of the area and hit a firm right foot shot a couple of feet past the 'keepers left hand post. McDermott and Pouton played in Jeffrey behind the defence on the Town right. He got to the byeline and chipped a cross to Allen, about 10 yards out, whose header hit a defender and went slowly to the 'keeper. McDermott surged forward and, when 25 yards out, dropped his left, then right shoulder, sending the defender the wrong way. McDermott continued his run to the left, passed to Allen, who turned and slipped a superbly weighted pass inside the right back. Black clipped a cross to a yard or so beyond the far post, whereupon Jeffrey attempted to steer a header into the far corner. Unfortunately, he had to stretch for the header and couldn't get power or sufficient direction. It went straight into the arms of the 'keeper as he raced across his goal. Another Black cross, to Jeffrey at the near post resulted in Jeffrey hitting a poor first time shot 5 yards wide.

A minute or so before half time Town won a throw in about 10 yards from the bye line on the left. It was taken quickly and D Smith (I think, it may have been Black) passed to Jeffrey, who had set himself up in a position about 5 yards from the near post , near the bye-line. Jeffrey hit a first time reverse pass to about 15 yards out, level with the near post. GROVES sprinted in and whacked a first time shot into the net off the underside of the bar. A cracker - simply constructed and finished superbly.

Then it was half time. It had been a complete contrast to the Dundee game, with the pace slower and the competitive edge missing. Town were, yet again, playing down to the level of the opposition. Very little had been created, relying mainly on McDermott thrusts down the right and the occasional turn and pass on the edge of the area from Allen. Jeffrey had looked nothing special, but not useless. He showed a couple of moments of thought and control, though he didn't look to be an all action player. He appears to have some of the style of Lester and Woods (he ambles a bit and holds on to the defender when turning). A couple of times he drifted into good positions, but the pass was never released quickly enough. He doesn't have much pace and doesn't look to be a prolific goalscorer, more of a link player. Pouton looked faintly disinterested out wide and Burnett looked to be playing well within his capabilities - never sprinting, nor attempting long passes. He was content to keep the ball moving, playing neatly but unremarkably. Allen's control was mostly poor, but he still managed to look the most likely Town player to score. Until Groves did, of course

Half time: Lincoln City 1 Grimsby Town 1

Add To Facebook

This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!

Related Stories

Forum Latest
Thread TitlePostsLatest Post
Nathan Arnold54Impish222/01 12:12
Football Twat of the Week14The Old Codger22/01 11:53
Mariners Trust supporter survey2The Old Codger22/01 11:51
Gullivers2oochiad22/01 11:44
Ex-GTFC players thread2,246livosnose22/01 11:39
It's Complicated.....17RoboCod22/01 11:29
The real face of Lincoln city 13Civvy at last22/01 10:55
Where's the 15 points coming from then?29monkeyboy22/01 10:54
Fishy Pontoon Buster Game40Civvy at last22/01 09:17
Change/add-a-letter/remove-one Word Game thread...30,676cmackenzie422/01 08:03

News  | Submit Article  |   | 
© 2018