The Fishy - Grimsby Town FC

Question of the Week

Who will win Euro 2020?

A N Other

Hearn: Hat trick
Hearn: Hat trick

Town Hit Jackpot

By: Rob Sedgwick
Date: 30/11/2011

TOWN scored seven goals without reply for the first time since 1957 to send sorry Stockport back to Cheshire in a thoroughly deserved thrashing. Liam Hearn scored his third hat trick of the season to give the small Blundell Park crowd a night to remember.

Coulson, Elding, Green and L'Anson also took advantage of some poor Stockport defending to score goals of their own.

Just one change was made to the Town side that won at Kettering. Jamie Green, who impressed at left back when he first came to the club, began the game on the left side of midfield, with Bury loanee Luke McCarthy dropping to the bench.

After a bright start Hearn took advantage of some terrible defending to bring the ball to the byeline and pull it back to Coulson, who finished well past the keeper who had come out of his goal.

Stockport then should have scored when a defensive lapse allowed McCann a clean run at goal, but he fluffed a good opportunity. It proved to be the Hatters one and only chance.

However clinical finishing by Town almost straight away doubled the lead through Hearn. Green, starting for the first time on the wing, set up the goal, breaking from the left and pulling the ball back for Hearn to open his account.

Elding added a third on 31, sidefooting home a Coulson corner from point blank range against his former side. It was virtually Town's first goal from a corner this season.

Then Town hit Stockport with a quick attack on the break, with Coulson crossing for Elding whose shot was cleared before Green was first to the ball on 34.

Elding found himself unmarked in the box and combined with Hearn who added a fifth just before half time.

The near perfect first half ended with a thoroughly deserved 5-0 scoreline against a poor Stockport side.

After a slow start to the second half normal business resumed when Hearn slotted in a goal for his hat trick. It came from a corner where the initial header fell to the feet of Hearn who slotted it in as the Stockport players stood and watched.

L'Anson made it seven from yet another corner, although his header seemed to come off a Stockport player, to send Town to their biggest win for 50 years.

Town couldn't have had a better preparation for Saturday's FA Cup tie at Salisbury, and the three points give them some breathing space between themselves at the bottom four. Another couple of wins and Town will start to look at the teams ahead of them rather than below them.

Add To Facebook

This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!

Related Stories

Forum Latest
Thread TitlePostsLatest Post
National League fight for promotion 63KingstonMariner16/05 22:21
Yo-yo Clubs7KingstonMariner16/05 22:18
European Championship Sweepstake117Hurstomariner16/05 21:59
Let the rumours begin ..108WayneBurnettsJockstrap16/05 21:57
Grimsby Town appeal against relegation168moosey_club16/05 21:54
FA Cup final40promotion plaice16/05 18:33
Omen14FishOutOfWater16/05 16:46
Retained List Announced117TheRonRaffertyFanClub16/05 13:12
Youth team to first team.6GollyGTFC16/05 09:42
McKeown Video34Theimperialcoroner16/05 09:20