This thread currently has 3,908 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
kingofthekippers
September 27, 2009, 6:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
It's not just depression either. Mental illness comes in many forms and can act in equally devastating ways. In the mid-1990's I developed obsessive compulsive disorder. I won't explain what it is as the clue is in the name but for several weeks I thought I was literally going mad; in the end it led to a nervous breakdown.

I recall breaking down in tears in front of my mum who took me to my GP, a wonderful gentleman who I wish was still my doctor. He prescribed me Prozac and referred me to a psychologist and with that and the help of family, friends and great support from my then employer I fought the battle and won.

Although more than a decade has passed since then I am still aware that this thing can come back at anytime. The battle was won but the war is never over. That doesn't mean that you can't keep winning though.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
ginnywings
September 27, 2009, 6:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
One of my sisters' has OCD.It can ruin lives and as you say,one of the many different forms of mental illness.My GF has many books on the subject and they make interesting reading.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
Wrawby_Mariner
September 27, 2009, 10:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
there are many different causes for depression, when i am going through a rough patch there is one piece of advice ive been given that always sticks out in my mind. Im not by any means religous but it was given to me by a priest a few days ago 'Its not how many times you fall over that counts but it is how many times you pick yourself up'. also in these times there is a Winston Churchill quote which inspires me "If you're going through Hell, keep going.". No matter what life throws at you, whether by your own doing or something out of your control you have to keep going and dont give in because nobody remembers those who surrender (Hitler and the French being exceptions). Theres been times in the past few years and right up to now where ive wanted to give in but where there is people around you who will back you to the hilt you wont go far wrong. Meataforically speaking there was a time where someone i know was in a very bad place, both mentally and physically who took a few (alot) more sleeping tablets than what he was meant to and his friend stayed up with him all night to keep him awake, its at that point you know your not alone,  your never alone.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 12 - 18
MaccaBilk
September 28, 2009, 2:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +16
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
there are many different causes for depression, when i am going through a rough patch there is one piece of advice ive been given that always sticks out in my mind. Im not by any means religous but it was given to me by a priest a few days ago 'Its not how many times you fall over that counts but it is how many times you pick yourself up'. also in these times there is a Winston Churchill quote which inspires me "If you're going through Hell, keep going.". No matter what life throws at you, whether by your own doing or something out of your control you have to keep going and dont give in because nobody remembers those who surrender (Hitler and the French being exceptions). Theres been times in the past few years and right up to now where ive wanted to give in but where there is people around you who will back you to the hilt you wont go far wrong. Meataforically speaking there was a time where someone i know was in a very bad place, both mentally and physically who took a few (alot) more sleeping tablets than what he was meant to and his friend stayed up with him all night to keep him awake, its at that point you know your not alone,  your never alone.

Go Wrawby; wise words indeed.

The trick is to teach yourself how to manage your way out of a hole.

As Billy Ocean wisely said; "When the going gets tough, the tough get going"...you just need to work out how to remain level headed in times of crisis and "get going".

--
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
Wrawby_Mariner
September 28, 2009, 2:45pm
Season Ticket Holder
Exactly - learning the hard way is something i am now accustomed to
Logged Offline
Reply: 14 - 18
MaccaBilk
September 28, 2009, 3:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +16
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
Exactly - learning the hard way is something i am now accustomed to

I guess it explains your regular trips to Nicole's...

--
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
Wrawby_Mariner
September 28, 2009, 4:04pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from MaccaBilk

I guess it explains your regular trips to Nicole's...

For the last time its no longer called that
but you know what i mean anyway
Logged Offline
Reply: 16 - 18
Biccys
September 29, 2009, 8:47am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
And surely that's a nice "stress relief" for anyone?

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 18
Wrawby_Mariner
September 29, 2009, 8:53am
Season Ticket Holder
any sort of relief is good
Logged Offline
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Depression

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.