4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 17, 2013, 5:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The worrying fact is that Town failed to score. It is all very well for Scott & Hurst to say there is a great choice of class strikers at the club but only 2 of them are genuine goal poachers and neither was fit today.

The other thing is that if you play 4-3-3 you must have a front 3 where all of them are a genuine goal threat and have pace. If there's an injury and you can't replace like with like then your best bet is a switch to 4-4-2. If you don't then the midfield just gets pushed back and you are left with a lone striker.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
grimsby pete
August 17, 2013, 6:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
I see Miller and Cambridge are top of the league,

If only eh !

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
Marinerz93
August 17, 2013, 7:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
It is still early doors but it is the lack of enthusiasm from the kick off, lack of fire in the belly for a fight and none of the players grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck stamping their authority on the game that is pish.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
gobby
August 17, 2013, 7:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Note to ones self: Stop taking the enthusiasm from an improved performance the game before into the next game, it only leaves you fustrated.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
FishOutOfWater
August 17, 2013, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from gobby
Note to ones self: Stop taking the enthusiasm from an improved performance the game before into the next game, it only leaves you fustrated.
UTMM

Echo that sentiment Gobby....all it does is leave you feeling flatter than you would have done if your expectations hadn't been upped

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 36
GrimRob
August 17, 2013, 7:37pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,415
Gold Stars: 113
Slade used to play with 3 up front and it really worked well for a while. Stan, Reddy and Parky all could score and were basically strikers. We're only playing with one out and out striker and 2 wide players, and he's got a very poor goals ratio as I recall. It's more like 4-5-1 to me than 4-3-3.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 36
Bovine
August 17, 2013, 8:11pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +17
The biggest disappointment from today was the performance. After 15 minutes we seemed to be well in control with lots of possession and balls delivered into the box. From there we ran out of ideas, then Welling realised we had nothing else to offer and came at us.

After 90 minutes we didn't have a meaningful effort on goal. It's early days but it's hard to see us scoring enough with the tactics as they are to be promoted. The shop was busy while on but had no clear cut chances and little support.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
GrimRob
August 17, 2013, 8:22pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,415
Gold Stars: 113
I don't really understand why we changed the tactics in the summer. Last season was a success by anyone's standards and we came close to the ultimate prize. Attendances were up, so the public were happy too - the usual moaners aside, but they still come. I'd take finishing fourth every year, eventually you'll get promoted.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 36
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 17, 2013, 8:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GrimRob
I don't really understand why we changed the tactics in the summer. Last season was a success by anyone's standards and we came close to the ultimate prize. Attendances were up, so the public were happy too - the usual moaners aside, but they still come. I'd take finishing fourth every year, eventually you'll get promoted.

I thought the managers had more savvy. The way out is down to hard work and pace in the side no matter what system you use plus you need one or two proven goalscorers. If Hearn had been fit last year I am 90% sure we would have gone up so why change everything?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
Ruston AT
August 17, 2013, 10:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10
I've been a supporter of the dynamic duo over the last couple of years but listening to the match today leaves me wondering! How much more of this awful football can I stand, this has been going on since last Christmas and from what I've seen it will not improve!
More than us losing, how irritating was a certain Mr Burns making inane comments, he really does need to go back over the river and suck up to the targers. I really hate the fact that when DB did make a reasonable comment he was right!
Sorry dynamic duo time to go!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Same old Same old

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.