September 14, 2013, 8:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from moosey_club

Seriously?

Where you at the game? Did you not witness the other corners we had during the previous 90 mins? We never threatened from a single one, with injury time only left then running down the clock in the area furthest away from our goal is the sensible, professional and only option.

We secured a victory, showed much more attacking intent for the first 45 mins and never really looked that threatened at any point.

Don't agree with keeping it in the corner myself it rarely ever works and results in a free kick the other way fairly quickly, which would give the opposition a chance to lump it forward anyway.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
lee65
September 14, 2013, 10:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from davmariner

Don't agree with keeping it in the corner myself it rarely ever works and results in a free kick the other way fairly quickly, which would give the opposition a chance to lump it forward anyway.

I agree, with 30 seconds left maybe do it, but we were never going to hold it there for 5mins +  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
marinerian
September 15, 2013, 12:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
I thought we looked decent today. We played some good football at times.

Neilson looked fitter and showed desire to go forward and defend. Midfield three wanted to pass, they wanted the ball and looked to tr and win the 2nd ball. Kerr was very good at talking and organising especially from throws etc.

The shop linked up very well, good passing and vision. He won so man headers and got a goal, very happy with his performance.

Defence, Pearson looked to bring the ball out more, far fewer pointless hoofs. MacDonald looked ok especially as the game grew.

We suffered when our full back went off injured as he was stead and reassuring.

Room for improvement but this was much better today.

I would prefer 4-4-2 as we have 3 goal scorers on the bench. It would enable full backs to overlap and deeper crosses from wingers. Just my opinion though

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
Neilo83
September 15, 2013, 12:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Anyone listen to hursts interview on rh after the game? He sounded really cautious in answering anything/everything he got asked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
RoboCod
September 15, 2013, 8:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
The one thing that stands out from the commentary and the just back threads is how much much better we are going forward with Neilson in the team, even at 75% fitness or whatever.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
ginnywings
September 15, 2013, 10:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RoboCod
The one thing that stands out from the commentary and the just back threads is how much much better we are going forward with Neilson in the team, even at 75% fitness or whatever.

Him and Rodman can both regularly go past a defender, which Coulbeck and previous wingers can't/couldn't.

Puts defenders on the back foot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
RoboCod
September 15, 2013, 10:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from ginnywings

Him and Rodman can both regularly go past a defender, which Coulbeck and previous wingers can't/couldn't.

Puts defenders on the back foot

I was hugely impressed with John-Lewis in the Luton game, he seems capable of controlling any ball from any angle/height with pretty much any part of his body, very often killing the ball dead, twisting and....nothing on. Maybe it's the whole 4-3-3/lone striker-work-in-progress thing and certain players are now coming to figure in it more but a team with Rodman and Neilson on the flanks should surely bombard the opposition with overlaps culminating from LJL's hold up play.

We have potentially the most exciting squad in the division but end up scraping 1-0 home wins in games in games that should be wrapped up long before the final whistle.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
grimsby pete
September 15, 2013, 7:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
I think Lewis deserves his place in the side,

BUT

We would be a much more dangerous if he could lay the ball off to Hearn or Hannah

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
bobbyturtle
September 15, 2013, 7:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from grimsby pete
I think Lewis deserves his place in the side,

BUT

We would be a much more dangerous if he could lay the ball off to Hearn or Hannah

indeed

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.