Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread Alfreton V Mariners
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 134 Guests

Match Thread Alfreton V Mariners

This thread currently has 23,385 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
April 18, 2014, 6:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
We will not get promoted defending like that,

Thomas should hang his head in shame, again !!!!!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 213
RonMariner
April 18, 2014, 6:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,718
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from immariner
I can't see both Gateshead and Braintree winning tough away fixtures on Monday, albeit against teams with nothing to play for. That would be pretty unfortunate for us. And if we win (and) by a few goals, which is possible, it might not guarantee a play off place but it will make it very difficult for Gateshead if they only get a point, with Cambridge to play on the last day.

See, easy!

Not tough at all if you look at the form table, and Barnet will be playing a few squad players, they have already said that.  Cambridge will be resting key players ahead of the playoffs.

Unlike us, our rivals win key games against also rans when they need to

So the most likely outcome is that we will need a point at Braintree to get into the playoffs.  As things stand I don't see us getting it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 213
FishOutOfWater
April 18, 2014, 6:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Feels like a defeat in some ways when really should be enjoying a satisfying win and appreciating some good forward play by us

Why did Kempson only get one yellow?

Clattered LJL in the first half but no booking (yet LJL got himself a booking for standing still waiting for one of their players to jump on him )

Stopped Hannah running through when last man and got a booking only

Brought down Pearson for the penalty but no card whereas Pearson got a yellow when he gave his away

Surely he shouldn't have been on the pitch for the last 20 minutes giving us more time and space to get a possible two goal cushion

Then again, if only the ref had sent Aswad off for being a liability we might have got something more than a draw

When he's going  forward I quite like him but his own publicity of being the best left back outside of the FL....

On this season's performances? Nowhere close!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 192 - 213
GrimRob
April 18, 2014, 6:48pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,411
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from RonMariner

Unlike us, our rivals win key games against also rans when they need to

How come we're third and all our rivals for the remaining three spots are below us? At the moment only Halifax wouldn't swap their position for ours.

Alfreton aren't also rans anyway. They have only lost 3 times at home all season, and still had a chance of making the play-offs had they won.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 193 - 213
thefish
April 18, 2014, 6:54pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from GrimRob

How come we're third and all our rivals for the remaining three spots are below us? At the moment only Halifax wouldn't swap their position for ours.

Alfreton aren't also rans anyway. They have only lost 3 times at home all season, and still had a chance of making the play-offs had they won.

Exactly! We will win on Monday, giving us a decent chance of securing/ almost securing a play off spot. I'd have taken that last August!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 213
Abdul19
April 18, 2014, 6:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from RonMariner

Our only hope now if for gateshead to implode, which looks highly unlikley.

Gateshead who dropped 2 points at home today.

As for Thomas, did McKeown shout for the ball? If not, then what was he supposed to do? I know Jimmy Mac's a great shot stopper, but commanding the area does seem to be something that needs to be worked on.

Shite result though after being ahead 3 times

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 213
cmackenzie4
April 18, 2014, 7:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Teestogreen
Town played really well going forward today. The game should have been wrapped up long before Alfreton got back in the  match. Midfield functioned well - LJL and Hannah played well. Considering the match preparation, it was encouraging going forward to the play offs.

They did tend to lose the ball by trying to be clever on the edge of their own penalty box, too many times. Eliminate some of that and this team should be played for the rest of the games (barring injuries)

Agree with this.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 213
immariner
April 18, 2014, 7:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Margins eh? Can't help ruing that Thanoj chance, so much goal to aim for.

It's done now though. On to Monday and Hyde at home. As long as the crowd try to remain patient I think we'll win comfortably. Then we'll know what we need to do. Still in our hands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 213
Alfie
April 18, 2014, 7:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from thefish

Exactly! We will win on Monday, giving us a decent chance of securing/ almost securing a play off spot. I'd have taken that last August!

Really?! You have much lower expectations than me then. I wanted us to mount a serious title challenge this season and we're wimpering our way into the play-offs.

The way I see it; it is in Braintree's and Gatehead's hands now. If they both win both of their games, they're in and we're not. Simple.

I think we will stumble our way in there by default of one of those two not picking up maximum points but it is nowhere near what I would have hoped for in August.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 213
FishOutOfWater
April 18, 2014, 7:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Alfie

Really?! You have much lower expectations than me then. I wanted us to mount a serious title challenge this season and we're wimpering our way into the play-offs.

The way I see it; it is in Braintree's and Gatehead's hands now. If they both win both of their games, they're in and we're not. Simple.

I think we will stumble our way in there by default of one of those two not picking up maximum points but it is nowhere near what I would have hoped for in August.

But conversely it is in our hands too....beat Hyde and avoid defeat at Braintree and we get a play off spot guaranteed

It might not be an easy task but our away form is better than most (despite us throwing it away today)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 199 - 213
22 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread Alfreton V Mariners

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.