Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 90 Guests

Match Thread

This thread currently has 36,575 views. Print
27 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc82
March 14, 2015, 5:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from GrimRob

It's pretty standard practice bringing on a defensive minded player for a forward when your team is winning

Not when you have a comfortable lead!! As we have seen many times it invites pressure! We've been lucky on many occasions but the luck ran out today!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 260
BeijingMariner
March 14, 2015, 5:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from TAGG

He needed to bring another striker on because we were winning by 2 goals playing with 2 up top. With playing 1 up front the ball won't stick and will as today comes streigt back at ye.
Hurst is a flipping idiot.

Agreed a more positive substitution would have been the right decision, but that doesnt make him PH idiot. Just listened to Sean Pearson and he is obviously protecting the manager and standing by him but at the same time he is right when he says 'we have done this plenty of times already'....so I think poor decision by PH but not the end of the world, it really isnt
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 241 - 260
friskneymariner
March 14, 2015, 5:55pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,154
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from GrimRob

But how many times had it won us points? You can't just ignore the credit side of the ledger book and add up all the debit column.We have won a lot of games by one goal this season when those same negative  tacitics have gained us points.

You agree they are negative tactics then Rob.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 260
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
March 14, 2015, 5:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
If you have the player to do the job, to come on, slow the game down, take possession and get the ball forward, then yes by all means it's a good option, but parslow has never done that job, and surely a professional manager should operate by using the players he actually has, rather than operating by the theory you learn doing your coaching license, which gets us onto a debate rightly brought up by Curtis woodhouse about everything that's wrong with football management in Britain these days but that's for another time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 260
GrimExile
March 14, 2015, 6:02pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
I don't post a lot on here and when I do I try and give a balanced and (hopefully) an intelligent view. I also (most of the time) back the manager too. However, Hurst really must take the blame for this result especially as almost the same thing happened the week before against Woking which we got away with it. Yes take off Palmer and protect his hamstring but put on Hannah so that firstly the balence of the team isn't upset and secondly we might even have scored a third. To say I am angry even an hour after the finish of the match is the understatement of the year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 260
wembley_double98
March 14, 2015, 6:05pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +154
Quoted from GrimRob

It's pretty standard practice bringing on a defensive minded player for a forward when your team is winning. You see it most weeks on tv. So I think your analogy is very poor it's not as though PH did something so terrible only a madman would do it.He had to make the subsitution whether he brought the right defensive player on is another matter but I see nothing wrong with the principle of the subsitution. Had he brought on another striker and went for more goals that we didn't need then he would have deserved the criticism.

My analogy was based on your quote Rob, very poor as you may see it, I do not gamble myself but I have managed in football and feel maybe
in today's case that a striker for a striker would have been more suitable. Chester were not presenting too much of a threat also taking the score into account.
The percentage game as you put it is like rolling a dice, this IMO was not necessary.

I hope your bets paid out today

UTM!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity.
The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 260
oldun
March 14, 2015, 6:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
The percentage choice today was to leave well alone
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 260
wembley_double98
March 14, 2015, 6:09pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +154
Quoted from oldun
The percentage choice today was to leave well alone

This

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity.
The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 260
grimsby pete
March 14, 2015, 6:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from GrimRob

But how many times had it won us points? You can't just ignore the credit side of the ledger book and add up all the debit column.We have won a lot of games by one goal this season when those same negative  tacitics have gained us points.

Its all about opinions Rob,

We are 2-0 up, now if we were under the cosh and Chester was all over us then yes bring that extra defender on,

BUT

We were not under the cosh were we ?

Bringing Jolley or Hannah on might have made the game safe with a third goal,

Just bring a defender on when there is no need makes no sense.

Horses for courses as they say but Hurst ops to defend whatever the situation is on the pitch.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 260
springstomind
March 14, 2015, 6:28pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
Christ get off his back now, he's the manager and he's doing very well this season.  Mourinho has a world class record and his defensive mentality and similar subs threw him out of the CL the other day.. I'm not comparing Mourinho with Hurst, but I'm just saying .. It doesn't always work.. He doesn't need crucifying.  If he'd of come on and said yer fair one my mistake, we would all lose faith in his decision making anytime to went wrong in the future. I think he's kept self respect and dignity and a similar sib would work in the future... 90 percent of the reason he's gettig nailed was because as soon as he made the sub JT said.. "As long as it works".. Keep supporting the team and manager and on we go!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 260
27 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.