FishOutOfWater
August 8, 2015, 3:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Will be staying signalling Tim, was at Hull paragon signal box Wednesday funnily enough, was looking at the panel as the box is on our closed list for jobs, will either be north of the river Hull/Goole up as far as Beverley or west as far as Donny or south as far as Wainfleet. Will know my new job at the end of the month Tim when the allocations are made, the jobs are allocated under PTR& R arrangements.

So Chris, when you're on the wrong side of the river and I get the regular " points issues at Gilberdyke" news, at least I'll know a man who can give me an instant update
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 45
ginnywings
August 8, 2015, 6:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I spent many months travelling to Bessacarr and the same travelling to the Boston area and i hated every single minute of it. Admittedly, travel was done in a van due to the nature of my work, which is less comfortable than car travel but all the same, i gave up the contract in the end because i hated the extra hours it put on the day. The road to Donny is boring and the road to Boston slow and dangerous, especially in a work van.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 45
HighamMariner
August 8, 2015, 7:25pm
More to life than sucking fentys meglomaniac behind
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -64
You're in the very lucky few nowadays if you live close to good quality employment.  The older you get the harder it gets.

Be back when fenty felicitations off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 45
ginnywings
August 8, 2015, 8:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HighamMariner
You're in the very lucky few nowadays if you live close to good quality employment.  The older you get the harder it gets.

I'm self employed and my trade is in fairly high demand, so i suppose i am lucky.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 45
HighamMariner
August 8, 2015, 9:42pm
More to life than sucking fentys meglomaniac behind
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -64
That's good, I sit in the few (or perhaps many) that left GY in the 80's in search of work.  Unforunately and despite my quest to move closer to my home town, my earning power in Grimsby is half of what it is in the Midlands, yet housing aside, the cost of living is the same.

Based myself in mid Northants where I can commute easily into the Midlands and South but still long for the opportunity to move closer to the place that will always represent home.  Could sell up tomorrow and upgrade the house or bank a chunk if moving to simillar but taking a 25k dip in salary fooks the whole plan.

Be back when fenty felicitations off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 45
cmackenzie4
September 25, 2015, 2:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I have been relocated to Skegness signal box, do any fishy posters travel to Skegness on a regular basis and if so are the roads ok? I've not been to Skegness for 30+ years we use to go the old road which seemed to take forever if I remember correctly.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 45
Teestogreen
September 25, 2015, 3:26pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -160
Gold Stars: 23
Overtook the Kidderminster Harriers team bus earlier this afternoon - just south of Preston - presumably preparing for work tomorrow afternoon at Barrow. Looks like they mean business, as I reckon that would only be a 4 hour journey.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 45
grimsby pete
September 25, 2015, 5:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I have been relocated to Skegness signal box, do any fishy posters travel to Skegness on a regular basis and if so are the roads ok? I've not been to Skegness for 30+ years we use to go the old road which seemed to take forever if I remember correctly.

Rubbish road still Chris,

Best of luck while you are doing that,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 45
Les Brechin
September 25, 2015, 6:44pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Even more of a nightmare to get there by train from Gy Chris, I reckon you could get to London as quick as it takes to get to Skeggy on the train.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 45
Marinerz93
September 26, 2015, 10:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Hi Chris, travel to Skeg is varied but using the A16 and A1028 gets you there for about 1Hr 15mins in my van.  A much better road than the A1031 and when you come off the roundabout at the A16 to A1028 keep in the right hand lane of the short dual carriage, the left takes you off to Mablethorpe / Chapel St Leonards.

A16 is a decent road most times of the year unless there is snow drifts but I think they now grit the roads more often than they did.

What's the address of the signal box and are you on permanent days?

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Commuting to work

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.