This thread currently has 9,248 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
September 26, 2015, 10:35am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
A16 is very good 99% of the time but of course there are the exceptions in the depths of winter. I used to use it very regularly to go down to King's Lynn until someone pointed me down the Horncastle Rd and past Coningsby down to the A17. That is a great road to finish night shift on - zooooooom.

The A16 is the best way all year round to get down that way however.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 45
cmackenzie4
September 26, 2015, 10:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Thanks for the advice, I will be starting at 0620hrs in the morning and finishing at 1315hrs on early turns and 1315hrs till 2120hrs on afternoons (no nights)  .

I will be parking my car at the bottom of Alexandra Road Dave so will be going through the industrial estate (not actually going into the centre of Skegness) so should miss the summer caravan traffic for the afternoon shift.

If I give myself an hour from Grimsby (in a car within speed limit) would you say this estimate is about right?

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 45
Marinerz93
September 26, 2015, 11:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Thanks for the advice, I will be starting at 0620hrs in the morning and finishing at 1315hrs on early turns and 1315hrs till 2120hrs on afternoons (no nights)  .

I will be parking my car at the bottom of Alexandra Road Dave so will be going through the industrial estate (not actually going into the centre of Skegness) so should miss the summer caravan traffic for the afternoon shift.

If I give myself an hour from Grimsby (in a car within speed limit) would you say this estimate is about right?

That time of the morning Chris you'll be ok, no tractors at this time of year but you may get a lorry or two. I would allow more time for when the roads get icy, black ice is prevalent, especially on some of the shaded bends and dips.

When in Skeg I use Tesco's for dinner stop which is close by to the train station.

Quickest route will be just under the hour Chris, see route below. To avoid the roundabout which can be busy, you'll see a sign as you just come into Skeg that says Recycling centre / household waste, you need to turn right there which is Lincoln Road at the traffic lights. Follow that until you come to (turning right) Grantham Drive and that will take you to Wainfleet road (turning left) and then your first right is Alexandra Road (chippy on the corner).

A16 - A1028
A1028 - A158
A158 - (turn right) Lincoln Road
Lincoln Road - (turn right) Grantham Drive
Grantham Drive - (turn left) A52 Wainfleet road
A52 Wainfleet Road - (first turn right) Alexandra Road

Were abouts is the signal box?

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 45
cmackenzie4
September 27, 2015, 10:16am

Recovering Alcoholic
Thanks Dave, the box is at the bottom of Alexandra road I have to go through a set of gates to get to it, I've not been yet, planning on going on my next long weekend off, looking at YouTube though you can get to the box via the platforms.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 45
LH
September 29, 2015, 10:40pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
Does anyone do a commute to Hull on here? Specifically more eastern Hull. Just wondering what that's like on a daily basis as I'm not getting any bites in Grimsby/Immingham on my job search so looking to widen the area a bit.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 45
cmackenzie4
September 29, 2015, 11:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from LH
Does anyone do a commute to Hull on here? Specifically more eastern Hull. Just wondering what that's like on a daily basis as I'm not getting any bites in Grimsby/Immingham on my job search so looking to widen the area a bit.

Did you try Siemens? I know there is a lot of work for them (ongoing) on rail projects (North east Lincs re-signalling scheme) I believe their next project is the Brigg line 2016 and then Hull area 2017 onwards, there is a big demand for signal testers mate so it's worth a try, a very good job if you can get it and there's some good money to be earnt too,  hope you get something mate.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 45
Marinerz93
September 29, 2015, 11:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from LH

I used to have to go across there occasionally for work and pick up stock for my van.  It was a nightmare getting across when they were doing the upgrades to the toll booths but after that it was usually quite quick.  You'll hit traffic more towards the traffic lights after you have come over the fly over on Clive Sullivan way, watch out for speed cameras, 40 mph.  Roundabouts tend to be busy and as you are heading east on Hedon Road towards Salt End / Hedon.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 45
grimsby pete
September 30, 2015, 10:37am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
There are plenty of jobs in Suffolk.

Bloody horrible commute though and the house prices are a lot more than Grimsby.

That was no help was it ?

Sorry,

BUT

If anybody did fancy coming south it would be nice to have another mariner down here.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 45
Hagrid
September 30, 2015, 9:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
My old man does. Gets up at 6 and commutes to work in hull
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 45
FishOutOfWater
October 1, 2015, 1:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from LH

I do...not the most pleasant of trips going along the Clive Sullivan A63 every day  

Depends on what time of day you're travelling though... the morning school run / rush hour traffic from the Humber bridge into the centre can be a pain; stop start all the way to the Myton Bridge ( over the River Hull, near The Deep) then after that it's usually ok, so depends on what you mean by east Hull

Same again in the afternoon and evening; crawling traffic heading out as far as the bridge between say 4-00pm and 6-00 pm so I usually leave later from work rather than just sit in gridlock

Overall and particularly outside of the "rush" hour, it's not so bad I guess, although all it takes is one broken down vehicle or one RTA and the whole place comes to a standstill
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Commuting to work

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.