Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › LINCOLN CITY - NO EXCUSES CAN BE MADE!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 166 Guests

LINCOLN CITY - NO EXCUSES CAN BE MADE!

This thread currently has 8,562 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
acko338
August 24, 2015, 12:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
A win at all costs - Lincolnshire bragging rights returned - there can be no glib excuses - must win - no goals for Liam Hearn - tell the new squad it's a pride thing !

No walking away from this next game - season setter !

No experiments, no mass changes from the early winning squad - at them from the off !!

Best defenders in their best positions, please, and Amond and Bogle both up front !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 24, 2015, 12:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Well said Acko. Agree 100% with that.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
jonnyboy82
August 24, 2015, 1:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
East tait amond and clay have to start.

Why forget all the excellent pre season and barrow bromley games all because of one game at altrincham.

Stick with them please paul or you will lose the fans and players rather sharpish.

I believe with robertson coming in slows us down and amond going to the bench was just utter madness.

Toto might be injured so pearson and gowling pick themselves.

Over to you paul.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
Les Brechin
August 24, 2015, 1:14pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
Hearn can score as many as he wants, as long as we score at least one more!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
The_Chief
August 24, 2015, 1:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +302
The number of "soft" calamitous goals we have conceded against basic sides is alarming.  IF we defend as we have done over the past few games, it pains me to say but Lincoln will bury us.  Lincoln have got a stronger front line than last year and they've never been frightened to get the ball forward and stick it in the mixer.  That lad Matt Rhead is a big unit and an extremely effective target man at this level.  He's going to be a handful.  With mobile forwards around him they'll cause us problems, if we don't do the basics properly.

We need to stick with a firm back four.  I believe the defensive players we have are very good at this level, only need to look at the number of goals we conceded last year, but with new faces coming in they need time to gel, form partnerships and understandings. Chopping and changing does not help.  Hoping that our defensive strengths will return and a lot of the sloppy goals will be eradicated.

To get anything out of the Lincoln game we need to toughen up and sort out basics: get bonces first to long balls, deal with the second ball, and not be frightened to put a foot in in the middle of the park.  In these games, it's a question of "who wants it the most?" and about determination, application and drive.  Worryingly last season Lincoln wanted it more than us last season.  It's about time Mr Hurst got our players fired up in order to prevent a repeat of the results against them last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
oldun
August 24, 2015, 1:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I noticed Liam was not in the Lincoln squad on Sat. Maybe saving him for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
Les Brechin
August 24, 2015, 2:01pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from oldun
I noticed Liam was not in the Lincoln squad on Sat. Maybe saving him for us.

Absent due to a virus apparently.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
LH
August 24, 2015, 2:17pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,519
Gold Stars: 173
I thought this thread was going to be a Dave Boylen one when I saw the title.  
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
Grim74
August 24, 2015, 4:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from The_Chief
The number of "soft" calamitous goals we have conceded against basic sides is alarming.  IF we defend as we have done over the past few games, it pains me to say but Lincoln will bury us.  Lincoln have got a stronger front line than last year and they've never been frightened to get the ball forward and stick it in the mixer.  That lad Matt Rhead is a big unit and an extremely effective target man at this level.  He's going to be a handful.  With mobile forwards around him they'll cause us problems, if we don't do the basics properly.

We need to stick with a firm back four.  I believe the defensive players we have are very good at this level, only need to look at the number of goals we conceded last year, but with new faces coming in they need time to gel, form partnerships and understandings. Chopping and changing does not help.  Hoping that our defensive strengths will return and a lot of the sloppy goals will be eradicated.

To get anything out of the Lincoln game we need to toughen up and sort out basics: get bonces first to long balls, deal with the second ball, and not be frightened to put a foot in in the middle of the park.  In these games, it's a question of "who wants it the most?" and about determination, application and drive.  Worryingly last season Lincoln wanted it more than us last season.  It's about time Mr Hurst got our players fired up in order to prevent a repeat of the results against them last season.

I thought I was reading a quote from Paul Hurst himself at first.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
oldun
August 26, 2015, 8:38am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from The_Chief

Hang on, there are many experts on here who say we should not be concerned about the opposition
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
Garth
August 26, 2015, 8:53am

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from The_Chief

Man for man we are better than them, creame always comes to the top, it will be a game of goals scored hands up who now would swop Bogle or Amond for Hurst

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
Rick12
August 26, 2015, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Going to be tough but hopefully we can pick up 3 points and go on a run that lifts us to the top of the league and we stay there.Easier said than done I know but with effort hard word and dedication in every game bar none  from this group of players it is possible

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
arryarryarry
August 26, 2015, 9:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Garth

Man for man we are better than them, creame always comes to the top, it will be a game of goals scored hands up who now would swop Bogle or Amond for Hurst

You mean play Hurst up front.

May work.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
friskneymariner
August 26, 2015, 10:54am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Lincoln are going to come out straight from the kick off ,they will play a physical game and give our players no time on the ball.Our players must not hide,we are not good against physical teams.We have got to learn how to counter a physical team.Other teams soon suss us out.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
Garth
August 26, 2015, 4:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from friskneymariner
Lincoln are going to come out straight from the kick off ,they will play a physical game and give our players no time on the ball.Our players must not hide,we are not good against physical teams.We have got to learn how to counter a physical team.Other teams soon suss us out.

Mr Morse says :-      dot dot dot da da da dot dot dot,  and repeat
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
KingstonMariner
August 26, 2015, 8:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Our toughest game so far on paper so I wouldn't expect anything from this game. BUT....

....Hurst should pick our best team, not the team he thinks is going to counter the opposition*, and the team should go for it.

* adapting the team cos that Geoghan bloke didn't work did it - they still scored from one of his long throws.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
MuddyWaters
August 26, 2015, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from oldun

Hang on, there are many experts on here who say we should not be concerned about the opposition

We shouldn't. Football matches are won by imposing your style of football on the team you are playing.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
friskneymariner
August 26, 2015, 8:18pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We shouldn't. Football matches are won by imposing your style of football on the team you are playing.

Agreed there should be no hiding places on Sat.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
Sconeboy
August 26, 2015, 8:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +218
Gold Stars: 2
Two weeks ago I'd have expected us to murder this bunch of lumpers, a wobbly couple of games and the whole feel has changed  

Time to get some of that pre season defiance back and show these muppets how to play a game of football, no more soft town!!

C'MONNNNN YOU MARINERS!!

<*(((((>< G T F C ><(((((*>
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
sydney
August 26, 2015, 8:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Pearson and Amond in
Please don't let them drag us into "Local Derby" bragging rights thing as we all know we are better than them
It's the three points we want and a far better performance
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
TownSNAFU5
August 26, 2015, 8:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
We are the highest scorers in the Division.  And have conceded more goals that Altrincham.  (Who would lbe bottom but for us).

A big change-round from last season.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
Southernboy
August 27, 2015, 8:24am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +111
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
We are the highest scorers in the Division.  And have conceded more goals that Altrincham.  (Who would lbe bottom but for us).

A big change-round from last season.  

Hurst is the new Keegan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
acko338
August 27, 2015, 8:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Full commitment from the first whistle is vital on Saturday - our current squad should have the capability to beat Lincoln, and nearly 1,800 fans will give them the backing required as the off field 12th man for 90 minutes - this is where last year's away form and support needs to be regenerated and Town avenge the defeat of last season.

This match is our Liverpool vs Everton, the Man Utd vs Man City - please consider what losing those 6 points to our local rivals last year cost the team and the town.

if we stutter against any opposition in this league, PLEASE don't let it be in either game against Lincoln - my life will be hell with all of my dad's side living in that area !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
denni266
August 27, 2015, 9:15am

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +705
Gold Stars: 132
We will be lucky to get anything out of this game, Lincoln will steam roller us off the park. we will win more than we loose,  but we are no where near what is needed to get out this hell hole . I still think we need 3 more first choice players. a battering ram up front.. a midfield  ball winner and a  good right sided winger.. And of course  a manager that knows what he is doing every week .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
Biccys
August 27, 2015, 11:25am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
We still have JPP, Marshall and Brown to come back fully from their injuries. I think the squad is spot on but these injuries have affected the start, no doubt. You could argue all day that there is a deficit of numbers but our budget isn't going to stretch to 2 quality players for every position. Although we're probably not far short tbh.

Browns tenacity is certainly missing from the centre. As much as I admire Clay, he's not a terrier, nor is the Dizza.

Marshall has been missed since preseason where he was smokin' hot.

We know what JPP is capable of but also his glass hamstrings etc.

These 3 have certainly been missed.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 42
chicaneuk
August 27, 2015, 12:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Pre-season, I was really looking forward to this game. Now I'm way more nervous than I should be. Really, really hope Paul Hurst and the lads can give a result for us to be proud of. I'll be setting off on a 10 hour flight shortly before kick-off so will have no idea of the result until I land.. all I can do is cross my fingers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
Southernboy
August 27, 2015, 1:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +111
Marshall and JPP available apparently so only Brown out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2015, 3:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
[quote=34]

Browns tenacity ability to run around like a headless chicken like he did at Wembley is certainlynot missing from the centre.
[/quot
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
chaos33
August 27, 2015, 3:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
That's an interesting thought and, funnily enough, is exactly what all of my York supporting mates said about Brown.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 27, 2015, 3:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The players will be up for it. They won't want to let the fans down and their attitude in that respect will be spot on.

The deciding factors will be the team selection, the tactics and the substitutions. These are down to the manager. This game will tell us a lot about what to expect for the rest of the season.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2015, 3:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
That's an interesting thought and, funnily enough, is exactly what all of my York supporting mates said about Brown.

I said this last season and I've seen nothing to change my mind - Scott Brown looks really good in a poor team, he breaks play up, loads of effort etc. In a good team, he needs one more touch than anyone else - an example? - we looked much better at Wembley when Clay replaced him.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
chaos33
August 27, 2015, 4:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
I think there's plenty of evidence for that. For me, he turned out to be half the player he looked in pre-season last campaign. And, his goals and assists combined total was way below what could have been reasonably expected.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
acko338
August 27, 2015, 9:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Brown - potential not yet fulfilled - and if and when he is fit again, probably owes us some hard man performances,

Still missing the central midfielder who can bully the opposition.

It'll be interesting to see how Robinson is used for this month while Brown is recuperating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
Biccys
August 28, 2015, 10:28am
I'm not denying that Brown is a bit of a clogger when it comes to ball playing, what I am saying is we have missed that bite in the midfield when he's not played. We look weak when we don't have the ball without him in there, or someone like him. Maybe Robinson is the player to take that role from now on, to be replaced with Clay when the opposition are worn down a bit. I don't doubt for a second that Clay is a better ball player than Brown. Wht we don't have is a battler who will fly into tackles to release the ball for our more creative players. Can you remember Diz or Clay doing that for each other, cos I can't.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 42
RoboCod
August 28, 2015, 10:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Biccys
I'm not denying that Brown is a bit of a clogger when it comes to ball playing, what I am saying is we have missed that bite in the midfield when he's not played. We look weak when we don't have the ball without him in there, or someone like him. Maybe Robinson is the player to take that role from now on, to be replaced with Clay when the opposition are worn down a bit. I don't doubt for a second that Clay is a better ball player than Brown. Wht we don't have is a battler who will fly into tackles to release the ball for our more creative players. Can you remember Diz or Clay doing that for each other, cos I can't.

Agree completely. Disley and Clay are both good at what they do, but those things that they do well don't include giving our midfield that certain 'energy', something that Brown looked like  he might once have been capable of doing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
1mickylyons
August 28, 2015, 11:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Robinson did ok 2nd half last week and we need the extra height tomorrow as most of the time the ball will be in the air.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
Mariner_09
August 28, 2015, 11:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Has to play 'the best side' not just the side that tries the hardest in training. East at RB, Toto and Pearson at CB, Clay and Diz in CM, The Funky Monkey and Arnold wide and Bogle and Amond up top. We need a clean sheet and a win. Hope we don't get pre-occupied with Liam and get behind the team.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
Biccys
August 28, 2015, 11:53am
Spot on for me that Mariner_09. Agree wholeheartedly, we can have Marshall and JPP on the bench to bring on and ruin them late on and smash them 3-0.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 42
1mickylyons
August 28, 2015, 11:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Biccys
Spot on for me that Mariner_09. Agree wholeheartedly, we can have Marshall and JPP on the bench to bring on and ruin them late on and smash them 3-0.

I would take a 0-3 scoreline and in all seriousness failure to beat these jokers means you can forget winning the league  already.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
FishGY
August 28, 2015, 12:11pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +65
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I would take a 0-3 scoreline and in all seriousness failure to beat these jokers means you can forget winning the league  already.

Well that's not true is it, they beat Barnet twice last season and Barnet still won the league..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
Marinerz93
August 28, 2015, 4:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
If the players and manager are serious about winning the league they need to roll over mid table teams like Lincoln.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 42
Mariner_09
August 28, 2015, 10:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Think people are being harsh on Brown, he was IMHO the best player on the pitch for 30 minutes at Wembley, he was tearing around like a man possessed and was the only man to hit the byline all game. His touch and mobility are far superior to Clay and he showed he can be a quality footballer at the start of last season. I'd pick him over Clay when he is fit.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 42
mariner91
August 28, 2015, 10:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,650
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Mariner_09
Think people are being harsh on Brown, he was IMHO the best player on the pitch for 30 minutes at Wembley, he was tearing around like a man possessed and was the only man to hit the byline all game. His touch and mobility are far superior to Clay and he showed he can be a quality footballer at the start of last season. I'd pick him over Clay when he is fit.

I've no idea what game you were watching but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who agrees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › LINCOLN CITY - NO EXCUSES CAN BE MADE!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.