4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Zmariner
February 9, 2016, 10:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Firstly, great result as I could not see a winner coming.
Ground sodden and so Town played the ball in the air a lot.Wind did not help. Not a great plan as they were bigger and stronger.
First half they scored from their first attack, only when their fans cheered I worked out where they were. We pushed and Nolan's goal was a great shot from just outside the box. Neither side was creating anything and so a bit out of the blue. Nolan got pushed around for the first 20 mins but got better and I was quite impressed. He adds something to the team and was the pick of the midfield. Up to half time we were pushing and looking good with Amond stinging the goal keepers hands, we also hit the post.
After half time we started slowly and Bromley shaded it , again a few corners but no real chances, Bogle off limping I think but he and Amond did not have good games. Arnold offered more from the wing. Winner came out of the blue and made for a great finale. They nearly equalised from a close range header. They were very poor but we were not much better and in my opinion cry out for a striker who can hold the ball. Tait was decent, Nolan played well, Toto solid but MOM for me was Gowling. Outstanding in difficult conditions. To be honest this review would have been harsh but for the winner as we were not great but winning is everything and so a great night
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Garth
February 9, 2016, 10:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 26
Thanks for that, it looks like we will get another body in up front after this weekend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
ginnywings
February 9, 2016, 11:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Zmariner
Firstly, great result as I could not see a winner coming.
Ground sodden and so Town played the ball in the air a lot.Wind did not help. Not a great plan as they were bigger and stronger.
First half they scored from their first attack, only when their fans cheered I worked out where they were. We pushed and Nolan's goal was a great shot from just outside the box. Neither side was creating anything and so a bit out of the blue. Nolan got pushed around for the first 20 mins but got better and I was quite impressed. He adds something to the team and was the pick of the midfield. Up to half time we were pushing and looking good with Amond stinging the goal keepers hands, we also hit the post.
After half time we started slowly and Bromley shaded it , again a few corners but no real chances, Bogle off limping I think but he and Amond did not have good games. Arnold offered more from the wing. Winner came out of the blue and made for a great finale. They nearly equalised from a close range header. They were very poor but we were not much better and in my opinion cry out for a striker who can hold the ball. Tait was decent, Nolan played well, Toto solid but MOM for me was Gowling. Outstanding in difficult conditions. To be honest this review would have been harsh but for the winner as we were not great but winning is everything and so a great night
UTM

We've needed this for a while, someone who can score from range and i totally agree on the striker to hold up the ball, especially away from home. LJL was a very good at being the spearhead. Pity we didn't have Podge alongside him last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
Caesar
February 9, 2016, 11:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Well that was a great result without anything else great at all except maybe the Bovril.  

Any atmosphere from a large Town following was sucked away instantly with their opening goal that seemed to come from a nothing ball into the box.  I cannot really justify why I think this but I want Pearson back in the team, I don't know that anything different would of happened with their goal as I couldn't make enough out to see if anyone was to blame, and I think it is somewhat unfair as Toto played well and Gowling was immense, probablly MOM (friend who came along commented on how Gowling put his head on everything) but I just feel Shaun would bring more confidence to those situations.

After that we played reasonably in the first half with Arnold looking dangerous again, but apart from Nolans wonder strike and a good Podge effort from range we didn't really test them too much.  Second half was really poor from both sides and looked to be going to a dull 1-1 when we won a free kick that was put in with real quality and nicked that vital win.  It was not the performance we wanted but we got the result and hopefully can continue doing that until we improve and start playing better football again.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
davmariner
February 10, 2016, 12:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,943
Gold Stars: 79
Interesting insight Caesar. Ta for sharing.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
Theimperialcoroner
February 10, 2016, 12:24am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,238
Gold Stars: 102
My toes are still frozen. Heart warmed by a he result though.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
Davec
February 10, 2016, 12:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 42
That speaker in the corner behind the goal near the catering van was so so loud until a young lad pulled the wires out, that gave us some peace and quiet.

Good job the wires weren't live otherwise he could have given himself an electric shock
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2016, 12:59am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Mariner summed it up pretty well.

New lads looked good. Very well taken goal by Nolan ("there is your goal and there are your posts"*). Side better balanced. Buckleyballish. But we kept lobbing high balls in which their big blokes dealt with comfortably all night. We had that many goes that eventually something would go in and JP got it.

Not convincing from a promotion seeking side, but what do I know. I probably read the Sun, watch Sky and am obsessed with the managerial merry go round and berate our goalkeeper when he's recovering from Meningitis. Same goes for the bloke I was talking to who has a season ticket and has been watching since he was a kid in the 50s. He knows fack all and doesn't care about the game, much less Grimsby Town.

Bromley missed a bigger pay day by not letting us get through to the bar. Was mightily relieved when their speaker "died"  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
Theimperialcoroner
February 10, 2016, 1:02am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,238
Gold Stars: 102
We got a late goal against a side trying to impress a new manager. Just what Chelts have been doing. Banana skin avoided.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
Davec
February 10, 2016, 1:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Kingstonmariner a young guy disconnected it,

And a small chant went out which seemed to mention that the infamous Aaron Rattray disconnected it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
coxy
February 10, 2016, 1:21am

The only way is UP !!
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +67
Home and very happy with that performance, Nolan and gowling best two players on the pitch. We looked very sluggish throughout long periods but at the same time never really looked like conceding. Referee seemed OK, could and probably should have sent disley off but sometimes look favours the brave.

Well done to Hurst played Nolan (scored) brought Jp on (scored).

Special mention to someone off here who kindly offered me a lift today (won't mention name 😉)

And well done to all who made the journey another great turnout! Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
ponnyfan
February 10, 2016, 1:48am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Yes...credit to all who turned up Coxy....long journey to Kent.....UTM

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
barralad
February 10, 2016, 2:57am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,294
Gold Stars: 126
Cannot argue with most of what's been said so far. The early goal had me reaching for the internet to find out how to spell deja vu. Undoubtedly a bad goal to concede-a deep cross and what looked suspiciously like a free header although he took it well.
For most of the first 25 minutes we looked like we were willing to be bullied off the ball. Too many half-hearted challenges and hopeless aerial balls gobbled up by their mountain range of defenders. The only bright spot in that period was Arnold who was definitely up for it-quickly found the range with his corners and played some lovely touch football.
The remainder of the half was all Town. Nolan took his goal exceptionally well-cool head and an excellent strike. Podge absolutely rattled the post and it looked nailed on for Town to go on and win convincingly.
Unfortunately half-time got in the way! Town's momentum slowed and the first 20 or so minutes of the second period mirrored the first half.
An earlyish substitution by Hurst to take off Omar who couldn't do very much right tonight and replace him with JPP paid dividends as Arnold put in another excellent dead-ball for a stooping header.
A few "hairy" minutes as Bromley pressed for an equaliser and Macca deserves great praise for an excellent save very late on.
Both centre halves did the business although neither full back got forward very much. Arnold and Monkhouse had decent games.
It must have been a difficult decision for Hurst between Clay and Nolan. The former may well have got among them more particularly in the first half but I cannot, no matter how I try, imagine him having the vision and execution to score the first goal. I think it was Ginny on another thread who said that Nolan makes things happen. He has a real football brain and I can see him being a massive part of the rest of this season.
Disley got booked and some might consider he was lucky to stay on after another clumsy challenge a few minutes later. I think that was his eighth of the season(?)
There were more than the 394 Town fans officially recorded. Quite a few of us had to go through the home turnstiles as that was the only way to get into the club shop and those that went in the seats entered through a home turnstile as well.
Someone at the Bromley club should reflect on the fact that there were 40-ish Town fans at the ground by 5:45. Bromley stuck to their guns of opening the bar at 6:30. Perhaps they don't need the money.
It wasn't pretty but I'll take the three points.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
ginnywings
February 10, 2016, 3:05am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from barralad
Cannot argue with most of what's been said so far. The early goal had me reaching for the internet to find out how to spell deja vu. Undoubtedly a bad goal to concede-a deep cross and what looked suspiciously like a free header although he took it well.
For most of the first 25 minutes we looked like we were willing to be bullied off the ball. Too many half-hearted challenges and hopeless aerial balls gobbled up by their mountain range of defenders. The only bright spot in that period was Arnold who was definitely up for it-quickly found the range with his corners and played some lovely touch football.
The remainder of the half was all Town. Nolan took his goal exceptionally well-cool head and an excellent strike. Podge absolutely rattled the post and it looked nailed on for Town to go on and win convincingly.
Unfortunately half-time got in the way! Town's momentum slowed and the first 20 or so minutes of the second period mirrored the first half.
An earlyish substitution by Hurst to take off Omar who couldn't do very much right tonight and replace him with JPP paid dividends as Arnold put in another excellent dead-ball for a stooping header.
A few "hairy" minutes as Bromley pressed for an equaliser and Macca deserves great praise for an excellent save very late on.
Both centre halves did the business although neither full back got forward very much. Arnold and Monkhouse had decent games.
It must have been a difficult decision for Hurst between Clay and Nolan. The former may well have got among them more particularly in the first half but I cannot, no matter how I try, imagine him having the vision and execution to score the first goal. I think it was Ginny on another thread who said that Nolan makes things happen. He has a real football brain and I can see him being a massive part of the rest of this season.
Disley got booked and some might consider he was lucky to stay on after another clumsy challenge a few minutes later. I think that was his eighth of the season(?)
There were more than the 394 Town fans officially recorded. Quite a few of us had to go through the home turnstiles as that was the only way to get into the club shop and those that went in the seats entered through a home turnstile as well.
Someone at the Bromley club should reflect on the fact that there were 40-ish Town fans at the ground by 5:45. Bromley stuck to their guns of opening the bar at 6:30. Perhaps they don't need the money.
It wasn't pretty but I'll take the three points.

Hurst said it was his 9th and it was totally justified. Don't think he was impressed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
Brisbane Mariner
February 10, 2016, 7:00am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
We got a late goal against a side trying to impress a new manager. Just what Chelts have been doing. Banana skin avoided.

This exactly - we have been applauding FGR and Chelts for doing exactly this and we somehow find negatives - I can only see three points for us! UTM

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 31
DocTower
February 10, 2016, 7:42am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from ginnywings

Hurst said it was his 9th and it was totally justified. Don't think he was impressed.

Starting to struggle now in games , or not so imposing  whether he is starting to loose his pace , timing I don't know , time does eventually catch up . Same thing happened to Futcher when he was here .  Some won't like the fact but it happens to all of us .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
Hagrid
February 10, 2016, 7:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,474
Gold Stars: 536
Not sure i agree with that^ this season we've seen a different dis, but i wouldnt say things are catching up with him, take his performance away at lincoln, he was exceptional- just he stays back a lot more now and has developed into a holding midfielder who keeps gettigg booked !! 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
Southernboy
February 10, 2016, 7:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +111
Agree with most of the above especially Gowling as MOTM.  Couldn't understand why we kept playing the long high ball which their defence had all day and then Pitman scores form a similar loft into the box - what do I know? Awful ground, got there an hour before ko and not allowed in the bar although the helpful police told us it was only a 15 minute walk, in the pouring rain, to the boozer. Town stuck at it and kept going and I'll take the 3 points.

Bromley big and strong but had nothing. McKeown's save with a few minutes to go was brilliant. Ref did ok, kept his cards to himself when they might have been used earlier. Dis a little lucky to stay on and a small whinge about the booking for Macca when their keeper had been wasting time since ko!!

Only 1 team wanting to win and they parked all 11 behind the ball at times and only when we took the lead did they really threaten.

See you at Aldershot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
LongEatonMariner
February 10, 2016, 8:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Davec

And a small chant went out which seemed to mention that the infamous Aaron Rattray disconnected it

Did you see him?! 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
PrestwichMariner
February 10, 2016, 8:36am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
Nice to see that according to the GET website we had a battling draw last night!!

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
Davec
February 10, 2016, 8:50am
Whiskey Drinker
LongEatonMariner

I watched the person snap the wires so I would say I did see him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
DocTower
February 10, 2016, 9:09am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Hagrid
Not sure i agree with that^ this season we've seen a different dis, but i wouldnt say things are catching up with him, take his performance away at lincoln, he was exceptional- just he stays back a lot more now and has developed into a holding midfielder who keeps gettigg booked !! 😂

Who keeps getting booked ?   9 bookings for someone who isn't a dirty player .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
highcliff mariner
February 10, 2016, 10:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Poor game with some flashes of good football ( from us , they looked like a team of American" footballers ") . Good move for the 1st rounded off by a great finish from Nolan . Relief when the second went in just as we were saying " we've won Feck all in the air upfront all nightttttt..... Jp get in! " Last few minutes ,the effort the team put in to repell the,  "nowt to lose Airial bombardment "(  their last Sub made Toto look  small ) was  great to see , podge sprinting to close down ,deep in our own half on 90+4 .
Cold wet night with what felt like a yomp to the pub , but a great crowd last night ,a big percentage being southern based exiles ? Great atmosphere in the end ,3points , job done  , love the London area away days
UTM
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
MawsleyMariner
February 10, 2016, 11:03am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +47
How many town fans were there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
Les Brechin
February 10, 2016, 11:21am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,716
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from MawsleyMariner
How many town fans were there?

394 was the official number in a gate of 1073, although some went in the home turnstiles to gain access to their club bar as you couldn't get to the bar from the away end,

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
mariner91
February 10, 2016, 11:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
There was more than 394 in there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
highcliff mariner
February 10, 2016, 12:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
yea lots there  commented that there looked more .than the figure given
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
GYinScuntland
February 10, 2016, 12:26pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,252
Gold Stars: 98
Back at 3am. Straight to bed, up for a pub lunch and back to bed. We're both feeling our age methinks. A brilliant turnout once more spolied by the disgusting facilities on offer. How the hell women, kids, the elderly and disabled were expected to cope with dark urine ridden rocking boxes like that I will never know.  No official access to the bar on a cold rainy night just rounded it off nicely. One to miss if we play them again. Boring high street too. Excellent three points from a late goal, just a shame we haven't been doing it as much as our closest rivals. Game still on as the fat lady is still singing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
Davec
February 10, 2016, 12:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Just as Arnold was taking the free kick I said to my mate, we won't score here, how wrong I was
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2016, 11:21pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Davec

I think the bloke did us a great service. Thanks to him about 20 people can still hear today.  

Imagine how the Barrow fans felt with that thing blasting off 5 times!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
ginnywings
February 10, 2016, 11:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I think the bloke did us a great service. Thanks to him about 20 people can still hear today.  

Imagine how the Barrow fans felt with that thing blasting off 5 times!

Wow! The could hear it in Barrow?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
KingstonMariner
February 11, 2016, 8:57am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Wow! The could hear it in Barrow?

Sami herdsmen could have heard it.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I did mean when Barrow got tonked 5-0 at Bromley).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.