Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 150 Guests

Match thread

This thread currently has 29,110 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
DavidB
April 10, 2014, 10:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
From the commentary it seems as though it was fairly even in a game that lacked much quality. Cook was unlucky with his chances (I wonder whether the same adjective would be applied by some to L J-L?!), and Fyfield's bookings sounded harsh.

But despite the disappointing result, I think some perspective is called for. I'm sure some will criticise PH for his team changes - but he's always said it's got to be a squad effort given the congested fixtures; and those rested should be much fresher on Saturday from missing 8+ hours of travelling  and 94 minutes of competitive football. There were several in tonight's team that had points to prove, so arguably they should have been well 'up for it', and it was far from a weak or inexperienced team.

As for those who think we've blown our play-off chances, our position is still very good - it's in our own hands. There's a bit more pressure on the remaining games - but over recent weeks this squad has shown its resilience, and everyone involved knows what job they have to do. A play-off place is the objective - we're still well on course for that.

Perhaps the biggest risk is upsetting the focus - negative reactions could exacerbate the situation shown after Tuesday's game, when tempers were frayed and divisions began to show. Cool, calm determination and focus is what's required now to get the job done: whilst of course everyone has a right to express their views and show their disappointment, I just hope it's measured otherwise it could be a very costly distraction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 253
Meza

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
What you got to ask is why have things gone slightly sour after xmas.  Was there changes galore before then npe just the odd one or 2 to replace suspensions and injuries.   PH also won manager of the month not so long ago.

I think given the RS situation PH has done very well on his todd but his team selections, tactics at times are confusing to say the least.  Trying to keep everyone happy I dont have all the answers but changing the team ecery 5 mins even when players have come back into the side played v well then dropped.  Great opportunity missed.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 253
ginnywings

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from buckstown

Some people just want to be unhappy. PH has taken us to our best position in five years and we have to have faith in him. Instead all he gets is grief from people who think they know better.
I'm not a knobhead, Im mildly intelligent, held reasonable jobs etc. but do believe we should be positive and supportive. Of course we're all entitled to our opinions but please be positive

As stated before, i have opinions i voice on here. I go to every game and never boo or jeer the players or manager.

If you don't agree with my comments, then quote me and put your counter argument. I called you a knobhead because you chose to make a veiled dig at me and others.

Don't know what your intelligence level and job history have to do with anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 253
cmackenzie4
April 10, 2014, 10:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from petethemariner
I think all of us can accept the need to rest players, but its a matter of
scale and i feel he has gone way OTT tonight, even prem teams with
fantastic squads rarely change 10 players AND have a  no strength in
depth on the bench (as previous poster have  stated) doing what we
have done tonight has given other clubs around us a squeak of the play
offs and added extra pressure for the forthcoming home games and lets be
honest,our recent  home performances have been  fairly poor in the main.
Like others, i just feel  baffled and disappointed.

Me too Pete.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 253
Grimal
April 10, 2014, 10:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from cmackenzie4
1 point in the last 6,   10 changes was always going to be a gamble, will be interesting to see why Paul did this, It's not as if we didnt need 3 points tonight was it?  

[/b]We should of gone all out for the 3 points tonight to take the pressure off[b], now we will be looking over our shoulders.

I am baffled by some of the decisions Paul makes!

I would imagine PH  had faith in the players he put out tonight to go out there and do the job,but they have let themselves down. I for one thought the team chosen should have been capable of beating a team in the relegation zone,Obviously not.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 253
marinette
April 10, 2014, 10:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from DavidB
From the commentary it seems as though it was fairly even in a game that lacked much quality. Cook was unlucky with his chances (I wonder whether the same adjective would be applied by some to L J-L?!), and Fyfield's bookings sounded harsh.

But despite the disappointing result, I think some perspective is called for. I'm sure some will criticise PH for his team changes - but he's always said it's got to be a squad effort given the congested fixtures; and those rested should be much fresher on Saturday from missing 8+ hours of travelling  and 94 minutes of competitive football. There were several in tonight's team that had points to prove, so arguably they should have been well 'up for it', and it was far from a weak or inexperienced team.

As for those who think we've blown our play-off chances, our position is still very good - it's in our own hands. There's a bit more pressure on the remaining games - but over recent weeks this squad has shown its resilience, and everyone involved knows what job they have to do. A play-off place is the objective - we're still well on course for that.

Perhaps the biggest risk is upsetting the focus - negative reactions could exacerbate the situation shown after Tuesday's game, when tempers were frayed and divisions began to show. Cool, calm determination and focus is what's required now to get the job done: whilst of course everyone has a right to express their views and show their disappointment, I just hope it's measured otherwise it could be a very costly distraction.

Great post.  Long time no see!

Private Message
Reply: 195 - 253
pontoonlew
April 10, 2014, 10:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I half see why Hurst did what he did, however he's lumped pressure on himself to justify tonight's total surrender.

A win Saturday and no 'resting' players from here on in to get us on a run of form for the play-offs = good choice tonight.

No win Saturday, makes stupid changes to the squad for the rest of the season so we go in with no confidence. Meaning we dribble into (and subsequently out of) the play-offs like an old mans spunk (AGAIN) = totally idiotic.

It's things like this that rile fans about him. You need to look back at the two odd stunts he's pulled in the last 2 days to see why.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 253
tonyfordsmicrofro
April 10, 2014, 10:10pm

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +37 / -4
Approval: +26
I'm really annoyed, maybe I shouldn't be posting when I'm in this mood but if we do reach the playoffs, I can't see him taking us up. Absolutely ridiculous decision to play a reserve side tonight. We should've got the three points, one at best, played a weaker side at home against a struggling Chester on Saturday keeping fresher legs for the more difficult game against Halifax the following Tuesday.

Am I mad or does this make sense? I just don't get him!!

You fill up my senses,
Like a barrel of Tetley's,
Like a packet of Woodbine,
Like a good pinch of snuff,
Like a night out in Cleethorpes,
Like a greasy chip butty,
O, Super Black and Whites,
Come fill me again
Na na naa naa naa naaaa TOWN!!
Na na naa naa na na naaaa
Na na naa naa na naaa naaa
Na na naa naa naa naaaaaaa!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 253
Teestogreen
April 10, 2014, 10:12pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -160
Gold Stars: 23
I'm amazed that people think PH should have made his previously selected outfield players for the Kidderminster and Woking games travel to play at Dartford. I think that he had a duty to protect these players under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, in terms of likely injuries that these players could sustain with such a concentrated programme of games. Blame the Conference League organisers for a ridiculous timescale of games i.m.o.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 253
cmackenzie4
April 10, 2014, 10:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from tonyfordsmicrofro
I'm really annoyed, maybe I shouldn't be posting when I'm in this mood but if we do reach the playoffs, I can't see him taking us up. Absolutely ridiculous decision to play a reserve side tonight. We should've got the three points, one at best, played a weaker side at home against a struggling Chester on Saturday keeping fresher legs for the more difficult game against Halifax the following Tuesday.

Am I mad or does this make sense? I just don't get him!!

Makes total sense to me TFM.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 253
26 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.