mike_d
April 11, 2014, 2:08am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from pontoonlew

Prehaps the clue in that is that we should've been beating Woking at home and it could show that Cambridge are miles ahead of us going into the PO.

Is this the same Woking who beat Luton?

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 253
mike_d
April 11, 2014, 2:15am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from tonyfordsmicrofro
I'm really annoyed, maybe I shouldn't be posting when I'm in this mood but if we do reach the playoffs, I can't see him taking us up. Absolutely ridiculous decision to play a reserve side tonight. We should've got the three points, one at best, played a weaker side at home against a struggling Chester on Saturday keeping fresher legs for the more difficult game against Halifax the following Tuesday.

Am I mad or does this make sense? I just don't get him!!

The struggling Chester who are above Dartford in the table, and have won two out of their last three games, with Dartford only winning one out of their last three (yes, tonights game).

A couple of inches difference for Cook twice and it might have been a different story.

Personally I think it was good to blood the second-string in a game against a team fighting for their lives,, but knowing it is one of a game or two in hand on the other contenders, with a four point cushion on that last playoff place. Better to know know how they handle it than have to rely on a relative unknown quantity if we need to put them in in the playoffs/ later games this season.

I also liked seeing Cook and Tounkara actually talk and gee each other up as a strike pair, especially when Tounkara came close in the first half.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 253
oldun
April 11, 2014, 8:31am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from barralad

The way I see it is that at some point PH was going to have to take a risk given the sheer number of games facing Town. I think everyone would agree that Halifax isn't the game to do it in which leaves tonight or Saturday. Whilst Saturday looks a very good option, the great unknown is what effect Tuesday's game had on those who played and what effect travelling down to Dartford would have had on those players. Had Tuesday's players with maybe one or two changes gone out there tonight and not performed (there was absolutely no guarantee that they would have done so) we could have been looking at playing Saturday with our first team players even more knackered and the same need to win-with Halifax waiting on Tuesday. At least resting tonight gives those players a fighting chance of being able to do their bit-again-not only on Saturday but next Tuesday as well. I wouldn't want to have been the manager having to think his way through that one. A final point-many on here have sung the praises (and rightly so) of most the players who played tonight with several of the more vociferous stating that their particular favourite should be in the best starting XI. If this is the case then exactly how much of a weakened team was it? Obviously I wasn't there but it doesn't sound as though many who listened on the radio thought much of the performance-.....
This whole ridiculous situation has been created by the intransigence of the management of this league and the unwillingness of Dartford (unsurprisingly given their position) to play the game at a time more beneficial to us.

This is also my considered view of events. PH looked at the bigger picture and whilst 10 changes is a bit extreme that team should have been capable of getting points and sounds like they were unlucky not to do so. There can be few excuses for a bad result on Sat now though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 253
biggles9999
April 11, 2014, 9:15am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from mike_d

[b]The struggling Chester who are above Dartford in the table, and have won two out of their last three games, with Dartford only winning one out of their last three (yes, tonights game).

Chester who have beaten Hyde and Tamworth at home in the last 3. The two teams that are 23rd and 24th in the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 253
mike_d
April 11, 2014, 9:44am
Snakebite drinker
So, against teams who have something to play for? My point is that they wanted a full strength team against Dartford, who are BELOW them, and play a weakened team against a team that are confident having beaten the teams around them.
Dartford managed a win against a reserve side who hadn't played together; not that that should make any difference at all. We can choose things to suit the argument. Personally, I think Chester are the stronger team, so PH did the right thing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 253
cmackenzie4
April 11, 2014, 9:51am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.22
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Not winning last night has now made Saturday a must win game imo.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 253
biggles9999
April 11, 2014, 11:05am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from mike_d
So, against teams who have something to play for? My point is that they wanted a full strength team against Dartford, who are BELOW them, and play a weakened team against a team that are confident having beaten the teams around them.
Dartford managed a win against a reserve side who hadn't played together; not that that should make any difference at all. We can choose things to suit the argument. Personally, I think Chester are the stronger team, so PH did the right thing.

I don't disagree that Hurst did the right thing last night. But Hyde have had nothing to play for since about October time, and Tamworth would have needed a miracle to stay up. For what its worth they are currently 12 points away from getting out of the relegation zone with 12 points available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 253
Mariners_15
April 11, 2014, 11:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
How some people aren't viewing this as a missed opportunity is beyond me. We could have gone 7 points clear in the play-off's with a result last night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 253
marinette
April 11, 2014, 3:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
If I had to choose between a bunch of players who were used to playing together in matches but who had had several games in quick succession and were likely to be physically and mentally drained (well I was mentally drained after Tues, anyway!) or another bunch of players who presumably are used to playing together in training and who are physically quite fresh, raring to go and desperate to prove their ability, I would go for the second bunch of players every time, and give the first lot a rest.  No arguments at all with last night's team selection.  In fact I think our normal 'first team' would probably have lost by a bigger margin, as I expect they were already fairly kna*kered, even before that long journey.

Private Message
Reply: 249 - 253
26 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.