toontown
April 30, 2024, 6:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from toontown

I'd be surprised if Maher went there, he wasn't a certain pick in 22/23 for example, Hurst mostly preferred smith.

Well maybe not mostly, but frequently
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 45
Maringer
April 30, 2024, 7:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,756
Gold Stars: 189
Is Maher one of those who is suddenly becoming a better player the instant he leaves? He did well enough at times during his first season, but hasn't been any better than the other defenders this season. A little disappointing overall, as he came with rave reviews when he signed. Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up back in the Conference.

In general, players who are released after a struggle against relegation don't tend to go on to bigger and better things, though there are obviously some exceptions to the rule.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 45
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 30, 2024, 7:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,789
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from Maringer
Is Maher one of those who is suddenly becoming a better player the instant he leaves? He did well enough at times during his first season, but hasn't been any better than the other defenders this season. A little disappointing overall, as he came with rave reviews when he signed. Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up back in the Conference.

In general, players who are released after a struggle against relegation don't tend to go on to bigger and better things, though there are obviously some exceptions to the rule.

Think reading through the respective threads posted in the past couple of days there is pretty much support for every player who is leaving from someone and I keep seeing that Hurst will be after players released, Eisa & Maher, or contract extensions, Clifton. Think we forget that we came fourth from bottom and genuinely played decent football in less than 20% of our games and that’s maybe being a little generous.

Not watched the interview on DN35 yet but understand Artell confirmed there will be ten to twelve guys coming in which is what we require and of this number I would say seven must be good enough for the starting line up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 45
GollyGTFC
April 30, 2024, 8:13pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,983
Gold Stars: 372
Quoted from toontown

I'd be surprised if Maher went there, he wasn't a certain pick in 22/23 for example, Hurst mostly preferred smith.

Not true. Maher was injured at the start of the season. He missed the first 7 league games and then was on the bench for a couple. He then started 30 of the final 37 league games.

Smith started all 9 of those games at the start of the season. After that he only started 25 out of the 37 remaining fixtures.

So actual Maher was picked more often once he was fit at the end of September.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 45
Mappers
April 30, 2024, 9:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.40
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,613
Gold Stars: 121
I think Maher out of all the one's released will likely stay in league 2 and probably do really well . I think he's a decent player , a solid allrounder . It will be like Morris at Newport , who's done well and was a good player ; sometimes players are just not the right fit or it's the wrong time -- i do think Maher has the capability , more than the other CB's to play 'Artell ball' but we would effectively have had no wiggle room on signing central defenders if he had stayed on I doubt ,now we can bring in 1 (2 if he see's Mularkey as a RB?) .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 45
MuddyWaters
April 30, 2024, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mappers
I think Maher out of all the one's released will likely stay in league 2 and probably do really well . I think he's a decent player , a solid allrounder . It will be like Morris at Newport , who's done well and was a good player ; sometimes players are just not the right fit or it's the wrong time -- i do think Maher has the capability , more than the other CB's to play 'Artell ball' but we would effectively have had no wiggle room on signing central defenders if he had stayed on I doubt ,now we can bring in 1 (2 if he see's Mularkey as a RB?) .

I disagree. Every time Maher came up against a striker with pace, he struggled. If I remember correctly, he was particularly poor against Walsall, like a rabbit in the headlights. Just easily outpaced at this level.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 45
RichMariner
May 1, 2024, 9:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,197
Gold Stars: 217
Worth remembering that Maher and Green were Halifax's best two players in a season when they finished above us.

Pete Wild was their manager, so maybe Maher will end up at Barrow. They tailed off badly and missed out on the play-offs when they looked one of the best sides in the division when visiting BP.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 36 - 45
arryarryarry
May 1, 2024, 10:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,022
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Mappers

I don't think you can use the word "solid" for any of our defenders.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 45
HerveJosse
May 1, 2024, 10:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,208
Gold Stars: 145
Fantasy thread none of the players mentioned are good enough for League 1 most are not good enough for League 2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 45
dapperz fun pub
May 2, 2024, 6:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,083
Gold Stars: 85
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I disagree. Every time Maher came up against a striker with pace, he struggled. If I remember correctly, he was particularly poor against Walsall, like a rabbit in the headlights. Just easily outpaced at this level.

He’s a conference player for this reason
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Shrewsbury

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.