The Grimsby Town FC

League Two Table

2Notts County271851
3Accrington Stanley261446

6Lincoln City271144

10Newport County27642
12Cambridge Utd27-638
14Crawley Town27-436
18Port Vale28-632

23Forest Green27-2223

Full League Two Table

Question of the Week

Should Russell Slade be sacked?

Yes immediately
Give him one more game

Till: MOM
Till: MOM

Town Cup Triumph

By: Rob Sedgwick
Date: 09/10/2007

GRIMSBY entered the last eight of the Northern Section of the Johnstone Paint Trophy after coming from behind to beat Rotherham United on penalties at Milmoor. After a poor first half display, a change in personnel at half time by Alan Buckley transformed the game and Town ended worthy winners.

Home > 2007-2008 Season > Reports > Rotherham (a)

Alan Buckley once again decided to play a 4-5-1 formation with Danny North the lone striker in place of the injured Isaiah Rankin.

It was no surprise when Rotherham took the lead on 20 minutes when O'Grady took advantage of the referee allowing play to continue following a Clarke foul. O'Grady latched onto a ball into the box and drilled it past Barnes.

Town responded immediately by bringing on Gary Jones for Clarke and switching to 4-4-2, but is seemed to have have little impact.

Rotherham failed to add a second after Danny Boshell gave the ball away in midfield and Holmes put it wide after a one on one with Barnes.

The first half ended a poor Town display. Grimsby had not created a chance of any significance in the entire 45 minutes and were fortunate to be just a goal down.

At the start of the second half Taylor came on for North, with Town continuing to play 2 up front.

Taylor nealy made a great impact by beating his man and making a great run along the goal line but the young striker could not pick out a Town player and the ball was cleared for a corner.

Town equalised when Peter Till broke rapidly from a Rotherham corner, played a brilliant 1-2 with Toner, and rifled the ball into the net to bring the game level.

Taylor and Till nearly repeated the same move a few minutes later with another breakaway move and Gary Jones had a shout for a penalty as Town came more into the game.

Town continued to press forward and began to look dangerous, Toner forcing a good save from the 'keeper with a spectactular 30 yard drive.

Town had chances through Till, Boshell and Toner to win the game in the last few minutes, but the game ended 1-1 and went straight to a penalty shoot out. The penalties went as follows:

TONER 0-0 saved
Newsham 0-0 hit post
NEWEY 1-0 down middle
Danny Harrison 1-1 scores
BOSHELL 2-1 in off post
Derek Holmes 2-1 saved by Barnes
TAYLOR 3-1 top corner
Brogan 3-2 scores
TILL 4-2 scores

Grimsby deservedly won from their second half performance and Man of the Match Peter Till fittingly scored the winning goal.

Vote for your Man of the Match

Your Name (optional)
Your Email Address (optional)
Your Man of the Match

Add To Facebook

This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!

Related Stories

Forum Latest
TitlePostsLatest Post
Scam16AussieMariner17/01 04:10
We won something!10Mrs Doyle17/01 04:08
Upcoming Fixtures1SiteBot17/01 03:10
A proper disgruntled chairman7Marinerz9317/01 01:54
Only fools and.....4davmariner17/01 01:06
Asante coming back37friskneymariner17/01 00:50
McDermott available!!!24wigworld16/01 23:12
It could be worse...7KingstonMariner16/01 22:53
Word Association Game44,544KingstonMariner16/01 22:34
SLO Vacancy75dapperz fun pub16/01 22:17

News  | Features  | Submit Article  |   | 
© 2018