The Fishy - Grimsby Town FC

Player Minutes

Luke Waterfall2,340
Danny Preston2,300
Mattie Pollock2,273
James McKeown2,160
Luke Hendrie2,160
Elliott Hewitt1,676
Harry Clifton1,636
Danny Rose1,594
Matt Green1,280
Owura Edwards1,179
George Williams1,009

Full Stats
Latest Scores

Follow the Fishy on Twitter
NewsNow logo

Question of the Week

Who will finish bottom?

A N Other

Wood: MOM
Wood: MOM

Alis Aquilae

By: Rob Sedgwick
Date: 27/08/2012

GRIMSBY trebled their goals for total for the season in one game, emphatically beating Mansfield, one of the promotion favourites this season, in a performance which couldn't be a greater contrast to that which saw them booed off in a 0-0 draw with Nuneaton nine days ago.

Town were two-nil up at half time, and in the second half they made the game safe with another two goals, before Mansfield pulled back a late consolation - ironically when the Stags were down to 10 men, after the late dismissal of Gary Roberts.

Grimsby made one change with Bradley Wood being preferred at right back to the more defensive Sam Hatton.

After a relatively even first few minutes, Town should have taken the lead but Pearson missed the target completely after Colbeck had picked him out unmarked in the six yard box. The big striker failed to connect properly with the ball.

Mansfield could have gone ahead when Town got caught napping on a short corner and the visitors broke through Speight, who picked out Green whose first time shot went just wide.

But the Mariners drew first blood when Colbeck made a run down the right hand side, pulled it back to Niven who picked out Artus on the edge of the box. The Scot turned and rifled the ball into top corner. It was a great finish to cap off a tremendous team goal.

On the stroke of half time Town won a dangerous free kick not far from the corner flag. The ball was played out to Thomas who was pulled down by Speight for an obvious penalty. Pearson converted, sending the 'keeper wrong way. A Town striker had finally found the net, even if it was from the spot!

At the start of the second half Macca had to tip over a long range free kick which was launched into the box and by chance found itself heading for the top corner!

Town finally put the game safe with a third goal when they broke quickly and Pearson played the roll of provider, crossing the ball into the box where a deft touch by Cook sent the ball into the path of Colbeck who blasted it in for his first goal.

Pearson then added a second, flicking in a header from the near post at a corner where he got in front of his man.

In the final minutes Town had the luxury of a four goal cushion, and fans hoped for more when Roberts was sent off for a second yellow. However it was the Stags who scored the fifth goal, pushing men forward and Rhead headed the ball in.

Once Town had broken the deadlock the belief flowed right through the team, and the result never looked in doubt. Town's next two games are also at two of the front runners in the division: Hereford and Forest Green. However on today's display neither of those teams will fancy playing the Mariners.

Add To Facebook

This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!

Related Stories

Forum Latest
Thread TitlePostsLatest Post
Colchester17DB25/02 02:00
Our target 20louth_in_the_south25/02 00:03
Is it time for John Tondeur to be replaced?71Knut Anders Fosters Voles24/02 23:45
National League at risk876KingstonMariner24/02 23:31
Trust Board Elections45KingstonMariner24/02 23:26
Beat The Clock....... v Harrogate23bigbadmarinerbob24/02 22:52
Other Games/Scores 303Bigdog24/02 20:58
Just Back99The Old Codger24/02 16:24
Brief highlights7BobbyCummingsTackle24/02 15:53
Crawley match thread287TheRonRaffertyFanClub24/02 13:16