The Fishy - Grimsby Town FC

Player Minutes

Danny Preston2,290
Mattie Pollock2,183
Luke Waterfall2,160
James McKeown2,070
Luke Hendrie2,070
Elliott Hewitt1,586
Harry Clifton1,546
Danny Rose1,504
Matt Green1,280
Owura Edwards1,179
George Williams1,009

Full Stats
Latest Scores

Follow the Fishy on Twitter
NewsNow logo

Question of the Week

Will Grimsby be relegated?


Cook: MOM
Cook: MOM

Town Go Back to Top

By: Rob Sedgwick
Date: 09/12/2012

GRIMSBY returned to the summit of non-league football's top table with a comfortable 2-0 win over Tamworth at Blundell Park. A goal at the start of each half set the Mariners on their way. Tamworth were given hope midway through the second half when the ref awarded a penalty to them, but it was saved by McKeown.

Apart from that Town's goalkeeper was rarely troubled and Grimsby were relatively comfortable for most of the game, having scored so early in it.

Grimsby made just one change from the side which drew 1-1 with Ebbsfleet last weekend. Neilson replaced Dayle Southwell in midfield, with Marcus Marshall switching to the right allowing Neilson to play on the other wing.

Town got off to a great start when Disley put Town in with a near post flick from a corner into the bottom corner of the net.

Grimsby so nearly went 2-0 up when Cook picked up the ball on edge of the box, shrugged off a defender and fired past the 'keeper. It looked goalbound but bounced off the base of the post to deny Town's big striker.

In the second half a long ball from Niven through to Cook seemed to set Town's frontman away. However he was dragged down on the edge of box by a defender, but the ref gave nothing. Cook managed to get up and had half a half shot but the 'keeper cleared it straight to Hannah who was hacked down, and this time the ref did give a foul. However Hatton's free kick went straight into the wall.

Town won the ball back almost straight away and Marshall layed it into the path of Hannah who drilled it past the 'keeper to double Town's lead. It was no more than the Mariners deserved after a bright start to the second half.

Town were coasting but the ref gave Tamworth a lifeline when he gave a penalty for an infringement that nobody else in the ground saw or even appealed for. McKeown ensured justice was done when he saved the spot kick low to his left and it was headed behind for a corner.

Town were not greatly troubled for the remainder of the game and there were few worries that anything other than three points would be Town's haul for the weekend. With news that Newport were losing it meant that Grimsby would go top if results stayed that way, which they did.

Town have had a string of fixtures against the least fancied sides in the division. After next week's break for the FA Trophy the Mariners were face a tough series of games over the Christmas period. Wrexham, Lincoln, Mansfield and Lincoln again await the Mariners over the festive spell. All three of those sides are in the top ten and expected to challenge for a play-off place. If Town can pick up points from all of those games then they'll be in a good position as the second half of the season commences.

Add To Facebook

This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!

Related Stories

Forum Latest
Thread TitlePostsLatest Post
Hurst158essexexile25/01 00:05
Ron Rafferty8GrimExile24/01 23:46
Beat The Clock........... v Barrow20gary_elton24/01 23:41
Signings !!!29ginnywings24/01 23:36
How we were promoted7friskneymariner24/01 22:57
Armchair Manager. Your Team Tuesday?27toontown24/01 22:29
The boardroom 15moosey_club24/01 21:19
Valuation of Football Programmes?4Perkins24/01 20:48
In case anyone forgot.11Kris224/01 19:27
Just back35arryarryarry24/01 18:51