League Two Form Guide
Question of the WeekWho will finish bottom?
|Guilty as Charged!|
Ian Holloway's Mistakes
By: Rob Sedgwick
IAN Holloway's mistakes at Grimsby have been many but with the help of some posters on the Fishy's forum I have compiled a list to reflect on.
Holloway came in and made some good signings last season to supplement the squad he has inherited from Michael Jolley. However after the previous season was abandoned, the Town boss has made a calamitious set of decisions as he started the return from the long lay-off.
- Letting experienced players go and signing multiple cheap replacements whose combined wages were probably more. The size of the squad was 39 at one point.
- Deciding a single pre-season friendly with Cleethorpes would be a sufficient pre-season. Most of the squad were shockingly unfit for the opening games.
- Deciding to play a style of football that didn't suit the squad we had then, instead of changing the style, deciding he would have to change the players several months later when the window re-opened.
- Dropping captain McKeown because he didn't suit the style of play he was attempting (see 3).
- Constant rotation of players, almost half the side changed every week in the early season. Any chance of players getting to know one another went out the window.
- Signing players he had probably never seen play.
- Crticising his players publicly and saying that some will be going in the window, weeks before the window even opened.
- Getting rid of the assistant manager and not replacing him or appointing other coaching staff. His only assisstants are also players.
- Blaming everyone and everything but himself
This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!
Forum Latest Thread Title Posts Latest Post The power of positive thinking. 26 KingstonMariner 27/02 09:24 At the risk of sounding like DB... 21 KingstonMariner 27/02 09:22 Other Games/Scores 305 KingstonMariner 27/02 09:18 Prediction Thread v Harrogate (A) 42 Dick Nale 27/02 09:17 Gimps Top.....Aghhhh 135 Davec 27/02 09:00 Beat The Clock....... v Harrogate 29 Mallyner 27/02 08:33 A New Beginning 46 KingstonMariner 27/02 00:17 Brief highlights 11 Theimperialcoroner 26/02 22:31 National League at risk 885 Madeleymariner 26/02 22:19 Radio humberside 20 Abdul19 26/02 20:31