Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 232 Guests

Match thread

This thread currently has 29,291 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2015, 10:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from oldun
Beat FGR twice and the gap is next to nowt.

We took 6 points off Barnet. Net result. Still 6 points behind them.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 192
barralad
August 29, 2015, 10:15pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from HighamMariner

You should get at least 25 green ticks for that, unfortunately ticks won't get us promoted.  Accept failure and you get failure.  

I guess our failureometers are calibrated differently. Failure is something that can be assessed after 46 games...

Oh and I long ago ceased to have any interest in the ridiculous crosses/ticks business. Feel free to downgrade my reputation....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 192
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2015, 10:21pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I guess our failureometers are calibrated differently. Failure is something that can be assessed after 46 games...

How would you rate our success/failure in the previous 5 batches of 46 games? Would you say we have failed more than we succeeded or succeeded more than we failed?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 192
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2015, 10:25pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
There is another 40 games to play this season,

Plenty of time to get top spot,

I would rather be top in April than August,

KEEP THE FAITH !!!!!!!

But in August wouldn't you rather have maximum points in the bag?

Isn't that a better indicator of ultimate success in April than having 50%?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 192
chaos33
August 29, 2015, 10:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,978
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from barralad

Oh and I long ago ceased to have any interest in the ridiculous crosses/ticks business. Feel free to downgrade my reputation....

You say you've lost interest in it, but I note that you still indulge in it.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 192
barralad
August 29, 2015, 10:37pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from chaos33

You say you've lost interest in it, but I note that you still indulge in it.

Oh I've lost interest in ticks/crosses but I still have an occasional dabble into reputations...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 192
barralad
August 29, 2015, 10:52pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from KingstonMariner

How would you rate our success/failure in the previous 5 batches of 46 games? Would you say we have failed more than we succeeded or succeeded more than we failed?

A difficult question. I never thought we'd bounce straight back after 2010 because we'd fallen such a long way. I think we "stopped the rot" in 2010/11 so for me that was a kind of success, failed to progress at all in 2011/12. Improved greatly in 2012/13 and had two excellent cup runs-stagnated in 2013/14 and then pushed on in 2014/15. I don't and never will have promotion as my only criterium for success. I would watch Town whatever level they were at and although EVERY season I "hope" they get promoted I accept that football isn't always that simple (edit:-rarely that simple). My health really isn't good enough to get too wound up by it. As Julie Andrews said "When I'm troubled I simply think of my favourite things" and I've seen some bloody fantastic things at GTFC since I started watching them in 68/69. Can't really be more specific (at 22:45 on a Saturday night)

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 192
Jaws
August 29, 2015, 10:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Think our performances so far have on average been much better than last term. We will always have a bad performance here and there. Results will come if we can keep putting in a good performance. Happy for us to be written off by the other teams, town have never played well under pressure regardless of the squad at the time.
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 192
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2015, 11:22pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barralad

A difficult question. I never thought we'd bounce straight back after 2010 because we'd fallen such a long way. I think we "stopped the rot" in 2010/11 so for me that was a kind of success, failed to progress at all in 2011/12. Improved greatly in 2012/13 and had two excellent cup runs-stagnated in 2013/14 and then pushed on in 2014/15. I don't and never will have promotion as my only criterium for success. I would watch Town whatever level they were at and although EVERY season I "hope" they get promoted I accept that football isn't always that simple (edit:-rarely that simple). My health really isn't good enough to get too wound up by it. As Julie Andrews said "When I'm troubled I simply think of my favourite things" and I've seen some bloody fantastic things at GTFC since I started watching them in 68/69. Can't really be more specific (at 22:45 on a Saturday night)

I wish I could be as stoical as you Barra. Seems our successometers are calibrated differently. For me it's been failure every year with some enjoyable spots along the way - more of the enjoyment comes from things off the pitch than on it.

But given your philosophical nature, how can you not accept that some people are rather annoyed at the way things have panned out/are panning out? It seems odd you seem to get so wound up at other people getting annoyed with the performances (overall over the past X year, not specifically today) and or express the view that the manager isn't good enough? Even if they're wrong, it seems perfectly reasonable for people to question things. it's not such a ludicrous position to hold.

I think by definition all of us on here (almost all of us) would watch Town whatever level they're at.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 192
ginnywings
August 30, 2015, 12:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
For some reason, those that say we are going to win the league are applauded and seen as positive Town fans, whereas those who don't think Hurst is good enough to make us champions are seen as negative moaners. Neither camp can see into the future, yet it's way more acceptable to voice your opinion in the affirmative, than it is to have doubts.

The only thing that we have to go on is what has happened to date and that is near miss after near miss, followed by another average set of results at the start of this season. If you think it will come good and being 9 points off the lead is somehow negated by it being early in the season, then that is your prerogative. If however, you feel this season already looks to be going the same way as the previous ones, then who can blame people for having that view?

They say history never repeats but it does if your a Town fan it seems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 192
20 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.