20 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
August 30, 2015, 1:15pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,258
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from ginnywings

I do support my team and i'll be there at BP tomorrow. I also agree that it is different this season and i have been thoroughly entertained in all 3 home fixtures to date.

You also make a good point about us not having the biggest budget and i alluded to that after last weeks game. Like it or not, FGR and Eastleigh are paying wages way beyond what we can afford, despite us having far bigger attendances. If either of those sides are managed competently, then we will have to fight tooth and nail (as you say) to better them and this is where the manger comes in. Football history is littered with success stories of teams that win leagues beyond their expectations and managers that achieve way more than they have a right to. I don't feel Hurst is such a manager despite being very competent. He just doesn't have the chutzpah to take us to the next level IMO.

This is where some confusion appears among SOME posters regarding my views. I'm not panicking, i'm not moaning, i'm not being negative and i'm not naive enough to think that finding and appointing a league winning manager is easy, so i'm just going to enjoy the ride and hope that we somehow get out of this league.

I still feel that last season was our best chance and that was scuppered by a poor start and too much fannying about getting a striker on board. FGR and Eastleigh have had another season to get their acts together and now look stronger than last year. Wrexham also seem to have improved by bringing in the manager i think we should have gone for. It's going to be tougher this season but if we can get that defence as lean and mean as last season, we now have the goals in us to make a difference.

As ever, i live in hope.

Fair dos

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 192
barralad
August 30, 2015, 10:46pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from chaos33

Barra, I respect you and often find I agree with you, but this is an incredibly dismissive, almost elitist post. 'Drama queens'? And once again, this notion running through yours (and others' posts) that if you don't attend a match you have no right to a view on it (particularly if it contains critical or disappointed content). This is the real 'negativity' on this board in my view, and it makes me want to stop contributing. I personally have not criticised the manager or players per se (although I'm sure we can all agree that Gowling was foolish). I personally don't think that operation promotion has become 'an embarrassment'. Why so defensive and dismissive of other people's views?

I have followed Town for more than 30 years and have studied, played and coached the game. My view is as valid as anyone else's and there are aspects of our current situation that, believe it or not, need discussion and scrutiny. In my opinion, people who cannot tolerate others challenging their views, or expressing a position that implies some critical analysis are obstructing our evolution. It cannot be denied that our results and league position thus far this term are following a familiar pattern since we fell to this level, and that the gap to the impressive leaders is, at best, unfortunate.
For the record, I think yesterday's result and performance ought to earn the manager and players plenty of praise. I do try to remain balanced in all my posts, but obviously that isn't coming across.

I think the board is a better place if people can allow some respectful and friendly debate about our team without having to resort to calling people 'drama queens' or excluding or disparaging their views because they didn't/couldn't attend a particular game.

UTM.

Well where to start.....

Firstly I deliberately didn't name anyone as a drama queen. To my knowledge you have never come on here and said you won't go back to Blundell Park after a defeat. There are however posters who fit that description. You know it and I know it.
Elitist? I don't know...I do find it a lot easier to take on board the opinions of people who have actually witnessed the game that I've witnessed. By that I mean ANY opinion. It would be a very sad world if we all had the same opinion on the way forward for GTFC. As Marinerz 93 said we could all stand in a line and have a different view on what happened. I didn't see the sending off incident so, at half time I went in search of people who did. The first person said Gowling didn't touch him. The second said Gowling had him by the throat and the third said that he had him round the neck in a virtual stranglehold. The proof of the pudding...
If this was a film buffs board and the discussion was about a recently released film which I hadn't seen I wouldn't dream of commenting on the content for fear of making myself look daft. We'll just have to agree to disagree on validity of opinion when the person wishes to comment on something they haven't seen and expects their opinion to carry the same weight. It's like having a court case where the witnesses haven't seen the incident the case is about...
I've been called some things but never an evolution obstructor!!
To finish did you read back what you wrote? You accuse me of being defensive after detailing your defence against my (alleged) allegations.
To save the rest of the contributors from the terminal boredom of reading about two idiots who should know better I suggest that any further correspondence on this matter is dealt with by p.m.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 192
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2015, 4:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

Well where to start.....

Firstly I deliberately didn't name anyone as a drama queen. To my knowledge you have never come on here and said you won't go back to Blundell Park after a defeat. There are however posters who fit that description. You know it and I know it.
Elitist? I don't know...I do find it a lot easier to take on board the opinions of people who have actually witnessed the game that I've witnessed. By that I mean ANY opinion. It would be a very sad world if we all had the same opinion on the way forward for GTFC. As Marinerz 93 said we could all stand in a line and have a different view on what happened. I didn't see the sending off incident so, at half time I went in search of people who did. The first person said Gowling didn't touch him. The second said Gowling had him by the throat and the third said that he had him round the neck in a virtual stranglehold. The proof of the pudding...
If this was a film buffs board and the discussion was about a recently released film which I hadn't seen I wouldn't dream of commenting on the content for fear of making myself look daft. We'll just have to agree to disagree on validity of opinion when the person wishes to comment on something they haven't seen and expects their opinion to carry the same weight. It's like having a court case where the witnesses haven't seen the incident the case is about...
I've been called some things but never an evolution obstructor!!
To finish did you read back what you wrote? You accuse me of being defensive after detailing your defence against my (alleged) allegations.
To save the rest of the contributors from the terminal boredom of reading about two idiots who should know better I suggest that any further correspondence on this matter is dealt with by p.m.

Don't the BBC do live commentary from the Odeon then?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 192
20 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.