barralad
January 30, 2016, 10:25pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from pontoonlew
McLaughlin dominating the game, typical.

Our fans sound superb mind, but we're nowhere near getting into this game at the minute. Need an individual piece of brilliance.

I always read the match thread especially for moments like this...I can only assume that his name was being spoken a lot by Tondeur and ? Having watched the game I genuinely didn't see very much difference between the Paddy we had and the Paddy on show today. Some moments of excellence interspersed with long periods where he hid from the action.
Gateshead's number 12 (Mafuta?) was head and shoulders over all of the midfielders on show today. We could do worse than get someone in his mould into the side...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 188
chaos33
January 30, 2016, 10:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,981
Gold Stars: 361
Played in his correct position though, he will influence games and score and create goals. All the stats say so, and so he should. To be absolutely fair, Hurst didn't trust him there and barely played him. There you go. Obviously we'd rather have centre midfielders who break up play and win tackles.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 188
barralad
January 30, 2016, 10:47pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from chaos33
Played in his correct position though, he will influence games and score and create goals. All the stats say so, and so he should. To be absolutely fair, Hurst didn't trust him there and barely played him. There you go. Obviously we'd rather have centre midfielders who break up play and win tackles.

I liked Paddy when he was here. Gave us some great moments but IMO too few. Managers decide how they want their teams to play and recruit staff accordingly. Once Paddy couldn't perform in the way Hurst wanted then it was kind of inevitable he'd be on his way.
My previous post was to point out that in my opinion he didn't "dominate the game" today regardless of what position he was played in

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 188
chaos33
January 30, 2016, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,981
Gold Stars: 361
Yeah fair enough, but he was misused or underused and as a result, was wasted. Just look at that goal he scored against Northampton, and ask yourself ...could any of our centre midfielders do that? Do we have a need for a centre midfielder who might score 10 and make 10 a season? Yes, I think, is the answer. It's not what Hurst wants though, hence the decision to keep Clay (for instance), who might make or score 3 or 4 goals but have a greater physical influence.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 188
barralad
January 30, 2016, 11:18pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from chaos33
Yeah fair enough, but he was misused or underused and as a result, was wasted. Just look at that goal he scored against Northampton, and ask yourself ...could any of our centre midfielders do that? Do we have a need for a centre midfielder who might score 10 and make 10 a season? Yes, I think, is the answer. It's not what Hurst wants though, hence the decision to keep Clay (for instance), who might make or score 3 or 4 goals but have a greater physical influence.

Both of us have commented in the past about our general lack of bite in our central midfield area. I'm still not sure how putting Paddy in there would have improved that. He can and does score goals but in a set up where budgetary constraints dictate that we need "extras" from our players, he could have been construed as a luxury. I guess it comes down to need and Hurst clearly decided that we "needed" that physical approach more than we needed Paddy's goals. By the same token Arnold, playing where Hurst wanted Paddy to play contributes goals and defensive qualities.
Paddy clearly looks more at ease now than he did here. Sometimes some things just have to be.
As I say I enjoyed a lot about his spell here but we have to move on...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 188
KingstonMariner
January 30, 2016, 11:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Thats not bad luck its called being good enough to get the points

Don't you realise that when we lose or draw it's bad luck, and when Cheltenham and FGR win it's good luck?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 188
KingstonMariner
January 30, 2016, 11:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from samg
Bloody hell it's one slip up,loads of points to play for we move on and I'm sure the lads are as gutted as we are but we go again UTM!!

Exactly. One slip up.

I reckon we must be getting good at this 'go again' malarkey. We done it 13 times this season.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 188
highcliff mariner
January 31, 2016, 1:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from Belfast Town
1,004 Town fans.

I wonder where that figure came from , no turnstiles as  such , myself and 3 of the 5 in our car just walked through .

shame you dont get points for havig the better support .
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 188
moosey_club
January 31, 2016, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You sure? Shaun apart who was injured that was our first team squad today.  

I wouldnt really count ..Robertson not playing, full backs on opposite flanks and an untried centre mid combo as our first team. Would you?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 188
19 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.