March 4, 2016, 9:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,989
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog

Dis scores. LOL.

4-3-3 Disley sitting in front of back four covering full backs bombing on. Clay in to break up play and Nolan as playmaker. Arnold, Bogle/Hoban and Amond up front.

3-5-2 same 3 midfield, Tait on right Arnold left. Bogle/Hoban up front with Amond. Pearson, Gowling, Toto back three.

I don't think the quality of this league is all that this season and we've underachieved through changing the side around and unsettling the dressing room.

I really hope my gut feeling is wrong and we do get promoted.

Good shout re Dis.........

I must agree we need to have a plan B, I thought we controlled the game after the goal.

We still might do it mate even if it's the play off's,

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 144
heppy88
March 4, 2016, 9:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Up the mariners. With support like that how can we not be proud to be Town supporters! Great second half performance. This result will be a real confidence boost for the players and the fans!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 144
ginnywings
March 4, 2016, 9:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Got to be happy with that. Macca didn't have a serious shot to save and we had all the best chances. The only frustration for me is that we can go there and win but we lose games like Halifax away. 2 or 3 more wins and we'd be right in the mix now.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 144
MuddyWaters
March 4, 2016, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Oh by the way,thought the ref was a complete homer, gave us nothing.
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 144
promotion plaice
March 4, 2016, 9:58pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from ginnywings
Got to be happy with that. Macca didn't have a serious shot to save and we had all the best chances. The only frustration for me is that we can go there and win but we lose games like Halifax away. 2 or 3 more wins and we'd be right in the mix now.  

Understand what you are saying but let's just enjoy the moment.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 144
Maringer
March 4, 2016, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,660
Gold Stars: 189
A proper defensive away performance from us and their only chance was the long lump into the box, hoping for something to fall their way. FGR highly unimpressive yet again. Frustrating that they can be consistently just above average and this has been good enough for them to be well ahead of us.

A pity we didn't do more going forward at points in the game and we weren't nearly ruthless enough with those chances after the goal. Not convinced that Hoban is the answer up front - he can certainly hold it up if the ball comes straight into his feet and he had a couple of decent efforts, but he's slow as hell and didn't exactly run his socks off. Need better crosses into the box if he's to score some goals, I'd have thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 144
The_Chief
March 4, 2016, 10:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +302
An immense solid performance by Town. One of the best centre back pairings in this league stopped FGR in their tracks. FGR tried the direct ball game, and testing us from set plays, but Pearson and Gowling were rocks.  Good to have kept their decent players like Marsh-Brown and Frear quiet.  We also worked their keeper a few times.  

Town looked dangerous on the break and played some reasonable football on an absolute pudding of a pitch.  We should've made it 2-0 when Podge had a good chance.  Hoban looks a very useful acquisition and a good debut from him, holding up the ball well and also forcing their keeper into a good save.  

Totally agree ginnywings, you get that shambles at Halifax away and then they go and win at one of the most in form and free-scoring teams in the league.  Supporting Town can be unpredictably infuriating and joyous at the same time.

Fair play and respect to Ady Pennock for giving us credit for our performance.  No sour grapes from him and an open and reasoned assessment of the game and the title challenge.

Safe journey back to all the fans who made it down there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 144
KingstonMariner
March 4, 2016, 10:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Isn't that just the answer though. FGR are consistent(ly adequate). If we've got the best central defenders in the league, it takes that to stop them - other sides don't have our assets.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 144
Vance Warner
March 4, 2016, 10:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,830
Gold Stars: 105
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Hurst is boring the world now on it

Funny reading back through comments after a great win. Makes some people look like right pr1cks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 144
The_Chief
March 4, 2016, 10:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +302
FGR have got a lot of tall players in their squad and now it's clear why they score so many late goals.  Even if Parkin (6 ft 4) is not being effective (which is rare), the 3 subs they put on tonight were Williams 6 ft 2, Guthrie 6 ft 3 and Moore 6 ft 5. .  Town have got the personnel to deal with those sort of players.  Pearson and Gowling would run through brick walls for the cause.  It also helps by experienced players defending well, not giving away any dangerous free kicks, and nullifying quality players in terms of stopping the ball getting in the box in the first place.

Credit goes to Paul Hurst were it is due: it was a solid and professional performance by Town who did their homework on the style FGR play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 144
15 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.