pontoonlew
August 27, 2013, 8:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from BIGChris

Disley was my man of the match on Saturday! His pass to Colbeck for the 3rd goal was superbly weighted.

Why can't both Thanoj and Disley be in the side? I dont understand why it has to be one over the other??

It doesn't, I'm just saying given the choice I think Thanoj has been more consistently good for the last 6 months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
BIGChris
August 27, 2013, 8:47am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from pontoonlew

It doesn't, I'm just saying given the choice I think Thanoj has been more consistently good for the last 6 months.

Really? He hasn't played much in the last 6 months
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 63
ginnywings
August 27, 2013, 8:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Disley is the best all round player at the club IMO.

Thanoj has potential but isn't ready to replace the club captain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 63
psgmariner
August 27, 2013, 9:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
We beat a pretty rubbish team quite comfortably. The first half was fairly even but we certainly dominated the second half and were worthy winners.

MOM for me was John-Lewis. Won almost all his headers and held the ball up so well. Top performance. Can't hide the fact that he never looks like scoring but that's excusable if he plays like that.

McKeown and the centre backs were rarely troubled but looked good. Aswad was rubbish. Poor first touch and has forgotten how to cross. Hatton did ok.

Our midfield was fairly anonymous but would say Paddy was the only one who didn't really contribute anything.

In attack Hearn started well but drifted completely out of the game and was rightly subbed. He is wasted wide left as he is one of the best strikers in the league. Colbeck had a very good game and put in a real shift. Always wanted the ball and constantly got his crosses in. As always only about 1 in 5 of the crossed are accurate though.

Credit to the managers for an inspired substitution. Brave to take Hearn off but it really worked.

Onwards and upwards.

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
lew chaterleys lover
August 27, 2013, 10:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from psgmariner
We beat a pretty rubbish team quite comfortably. The first half was fairly even but we certainly dominated the second half and were worthy winners.

MOM for me was John-Lewis. Won almost all his headers and held the ball up so well. Top performance. Can't hide the fact that he never looks like scoring but that's excusable if he plays like that.

McKeown and the centre backs were rarely troubled but looked good. Aswad was rubbish. Poor first touch and has forgotten how to cross. Hatton did ok.

Our midfield was fairly anonymous but would say Paddy was the only one who didn't really contribute anything.

In attack Hearn started well but drifted completely out of the game and was rightly subbed. He is wasted wide left as he is one of the best strikers in the league. Colbeck had a very good game and put in a real shift. Always wanted the ball and constantly got his crosses in. As always only about 1 in 5 of the crossed are accurate though.

Credit to the managers for an inspired substitution. Brave to take Hearn off but it really worked.

Onwards and upwards.

To be honest I think the only positive was the fact that we won - albeit against a side of limited ability themselves who are part time and had played 2 games against former league opposition in 3 days.

In the ground on Saturday it didnt look too bad, but watching on the TV with neutral commentators it seemed to show up our inadequacies all too well.

We simply dont look like promotion material and it is a worry that we dont have many / any of the attributes the managers keep banging on about.

BUT - football being what it is I hope that some decent results will bring its own kind of confidence and I am proved wrong over the season.  
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
pontoonlew
August 27, 2013, 10:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
I'd like to know the opinion on LJL actually. Nobody disagrees that he's playing well but that comment about forgiving him for not scoring is interesting. Because how long do you forgive that for before you realise a side playing a guy up front who doesn't actually score goals is never ever going to win you a title. I am a great admirer of the guy but I think we're kidding ourselves a bit because there are plenty of good target men who also score goals. I'd rather have a decent scorer and target man than a guy just excellent at being a target man. If it was a front 2 with Hearn scoring from his knock downs it's slightly more forgivable. But when it's essentially a lone striker at times it's hard to justify 46 games surely?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 63
tintowner
August 27, 2013, 10:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
Why dont they just play Hearn in his favoured central role and put LJL on the left.

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 63
mariner91
August 27, 2013, 10:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
They've shot themselves in the foot when it comes to formations. Hearn would benefit from going in a forward 2 with LJL but we won't play 442 now I don't think. The midfielders in the squad, in my opinion, couldn't form an effective centre mid partnership between them plus it would mean the managers dropping two out of the four which I think they'd be reluctant to do. So I think it's 433 for a while yet and we have to hope they can get it working properly on the training ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
Rodley Mariner
August 27, 2013, 11:28am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
We don't have a goalscoring target man though do we? I'm hoping we'll get better at playing 4-3-3 as I do think we've been outnumbered in midfield too often over the past few seasons. We clearly have to find a way to get Liam more involved but maybe we're looking at a handful of players contributing 10-15 goals rather than someone getting 25+? Maybe LJL's finishing will improve as well - those professing to be big fans now were labelling him a joke who contributed nothing a couple of months ago so things can change. I certainly think he's one of the first names in the XI at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
BIGChris
August 27, 2013, 11:48am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Towns best start for 10 years but to read some of the comments you would think we were pointless.
I am not suggesting we are firing on all cylinders but if we do we will be very well placed!!!

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.