7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
BIGChris
August 27, 2013, 3:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6

Yes Chris, that's true but you know as well as anyone that we have been lucky to get the points, especially yesterday. I can't believe that Scott was serious in saying we always looked like winning and we were in charge and so on. The game I watched wasn't like that at all. We should be creating far more chances against teams like Hyde who hadn't much to offer except effort. We scraped a goal. All it will take is for a couple of other teams to scrape similar wins against us and the wheels will come off.

Sorry but the game i saw we definetly deserved to win, were the better side other than the first 10 minutes or so. We deserved the 3 points on Saturday and definetly at Gateshead.
IMO we have not been lucky to get the points we have
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 63
gobby
August 27, 2013, 4:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from BIGChris
Have you seen Neilson recently?. He makes me look like a stick insect! (Well not quite but he is terribly out of condition).

But is he strapped up in the ankle department as you was on Sunday? Is that you sidelined for a few weeks then?
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
grimsby pete
August 27, 2013, 4:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
We are a bit hit and miss at the moment imo,

Colbeck works hard but puts one bad cross in to every good one,

Hearn looks a bit lost in this system,

The defence looked ok with Doig directing operations,

BUT

As Scott said after the game, we will get better,

Well we will have to if we want to get out of this league,

Early days yet, as I have said many times before,

Its not how you start, its how you finish,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
cmackenzie4
August 27, 2013, 5:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I thought we showed some promising football yesterday albeit in very short spells, We can only improve in the coming weeks and we are picking up points while not playing so good.

With regards to Neilson why is he is so unfit in the first place? He's a professional footballer for god sake.  :-

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
Tommy
August 27, 2013, 5:40pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from pontoonlew

How on earth is he meant to get fit sat in the stands? They seem clueless on how to deal with players fitness. Not once have I seen anybody elsewhere respond to players needing match fitness by not playing them, it just defies all logic. Last season they played weakened teams because 'the players weren't fit' and in my mind it cost us a potential promotion. Why was it every other club in the league (inc part time sides) could go out and play full strength teams (and beat us in the process) but we couldn't?

I don't think it's match-fitness he needs really Lew. Before you can get match-fitness you've got to actually be fit. Which as you can tell by looking at him, he is not fit to the level required. And you don't get someone fit in that way by playing them in competitive games.

He'll be getting fitter by training every day, doing extra training (which apparently he is doing) and doing some work in the gym. As well as hopefully sticking to a strict diet.

Once he's in a condition to play pro football we can start looking at introducing him back into the team.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
mariner91
August 27, 2013, 9:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from pontoonlew

How on earth is he meant to get fit sat in the stands? They seem clueless on how to deal with players fitness. Not once have I seen anybody elsewhere respond to players needing match fitness by not playing them, it just defies all logic. Last season they played weakened teams because 'the players weren't fit' and in my mind it cost us a potential promotion. Why was it every other club in the league (inc part time sides) could go out and play full strength teams (and beat us in the process) but we couldn't?

We can't put him on the pitch yet, he's fat at the minute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 63
Trawler
August 28, 2013, 9:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Quoted from cmackenzie4

With regards to Neilson why is he is so unfit in the first place? He's a professional footballer for god sake.  :-

He had a hernia operated on at the end of last season which meant he was out of action for a while.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
Marinerz93
August 28, 2013, 9:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Trawler

He had a hernia operated on at the end of last season which meant he was out of action for a while.

I've known women who have had c section and not put as much belly fat on as Nielson.

Footballers are now considered as athletes and have to eat a balanced diet.  Yes everyone likes a treat but his occupation requires him to be able to be fit enough to run a few pounds off and not sit on the side lines with a spare tire.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 63
Trawler
August 28, 2013, 9:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Quoted from Marinerz93

I've known women who have had c section and not put as much belly fat on as Nielson.

Footballers are now considered as athletes and have to eat a balanced diet.  Yes everyone likes a treat but his occupation requires him to be able to be fit enough to run a few pounds off and not sit on the side lines with a spare tire.

I saw him come on at Welling.  I don't think he looks as overweight as some are making out.

edit# I guess belly fat is in the eye of the beholder

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
Marinerz93
August 28, 2013, 10:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Trawler

I saw him come on at Welling.  I don't think he looks as overweight as some are making out.

edit# I guess belly fat is in the eye of the beholder

I saw him sat down at Hyde, a bit of a chubby face and spare tyre was quite clear but that could be the camera adding 10 pounds  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.