Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FGR v Town Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 293 Guests

FGR v Town Match Thread

This thread currently has 30,787 views. Print
27 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
Madeleymariner
March 19, 2014, 6:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Were still pants
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 261
Teestogreen
March 19, 2014, 6:48pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from pontoonlew

It's a bit sad but I worked out if that's true last night. It's not. Based on what the sides above us did in however many games they've got remaining, we will finish 8th. So if we did exactly as we did in the last 12 games (we have 12 left) we'll have 71 points. The play-offs on current form will be; Cambridge, Alfreton, Nuneaton & Forest Green.

On top of all that you have said Pontoonlew, which is a very insightful assessment of Towns chances, I frightened myself by looking at the very short time frame that we have for fulfilling the remaining fixtures in this season, and I can't see how Craig Disley and Scott Kerr (at the age of 32 each - a lot younger than me I know) can be the midfield powerhouse game after game (younger players being substituted when the facts suggest they sometimes are performing better) . I'm sure this is a reason for the slow starts and it's costing us points. The current strategy is to keep the 'relatively' olduns on.

Craig Disleys goals have been crucial this season to keep us in the hunt - but surely he needs to be looked after, to keep him fresh (er), otherwise he can't do justice to himself. Great goal last Saturday and this reflects his inner desire to succeed

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 261
barralad
March 19, 2014, 7:27pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from ackomariner

Tonight? Never said tonight in my post to you did I?

As for tonight's game I only finished work at 8.30 pm so only got the second half, but it sounds like I got to hear the best half of the game and it sounded like town gave it a good go , but that's all fans ask for.

So there you go, I'm not all doom and gloom

Good man!!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 261
barralad
March 19, 2014, 7:36pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Caesar

Worried that I might be starting to agree with you, I have been positive for a while now but the negativity around GTFC at the minute seems to be looming large and every time we have something that might be a spark (Tonkoura loan, Jennings loan, beating Wrexham etc.) it just doesn't last and within a game or two at best it all seems pretty bad again.  

However as you say no point sacking Hurst now, and whatever us fans on here say we all want the same thing as everyone else involved in the club, to be a league team next season, so think we all need to get behind the team and hope that our form changes sooner rather than later!

Hail Caesar....Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears etc. etc.

The negativity comes from a very few ne'er do wells amongst Town's fanbase who give vent to their feelings on here. Surely this hardly constitutes negativity around the club. Stay positive mate....you KNOW it makes sense.

Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 261
barralad
March 19, 2014, 7:39pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from pontoonlew

It's a bit sad but I worked out if that's true last night. It's not. Based on what the sides above us did in however many games they've got remaining, we will finish 8th. So if we did exactly as we did in the last 12 games (we have 12 left) we'll have 71 points. The play-offs on current form will be; Cambridge, Alfreton, Nuneaton & Forest Green.

Reasonable assumption but does/can it take account of the fact that these teams possibly have to play each other at some point? Town's run in once we get over the next two games doesn't look particularly testing IF they can pull a bit more out of the "form bag"

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 261
TAGG
March 19, 2014, 7:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from GrimRob
Losing narrowly away at the side with the biggest wage bill in the division is hardly a disgrace. We're still on target for promotion.

I beg to differ!!!!!!!!!!!!

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 261
GrimRob
March 19, 2014, 9:38pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from TAGG

I beg to differ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be positive FFS, sick of all the negativity at the moment, We are in a very good position.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 206 - 261
RichMariner
March 19, 2014, 9:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,147
Gold Stars: 209
If we were 22nd in the league and battling to stay up, then we'd all have reason to be upset and negative.

If we were 15th and going nowhere fast, we'd have reason to be negative.

But we're one point outside the play-offs with everything to play for. Ok, it could be better, so why don't we just do what fans do best and SUPPORT the manager and the players and help them cross that line.

It's clear they need a bit of a confidence boost and I certainly wouldn't relish playing in front of a crowd that gets on your back as soon as you're not winning after 15 minutes of every game.

I agree that we need to aspire to be more than we are, but sometimes you've got to take a step back and appreciate what you've already got. As I keep saying, we could be much, much worse off. Take a look at Wrexham, who were more than our equals last season. Look at Macclesfield, Hereford, Lincoln and Stockport, who are teams that have been relegated to the Conference after us. How do you think their fans are feeling?!

We're doing well. Not brilliant, not rubbish. Despite what some of you think, we do have reasons to be positive. Just be sensible about it. Inject a sense of balance into your lives; a bit of perspective. That way you won't get so depressed so regularly and so easily.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 207 - 261
Teestogreen
March 19, 2014, 10:17pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
I understand your sentiment Rich Mariner. Clubs like Yeovil, Stevenage, Dagenham & Redbridge, Accrington Stanley, Morecambe, Fleetwood are all punching above their weight in my view - must have a superior business structure to us.

Grimsby Town must not settle for less than those clubs, in my view. I agree that if you looked at the Conference League table and didn't know anything about Grimsby Town, you would say that we still have a great chance of making the play offs.

It's just trying to assess the reality and how is the management team going to achieve the play offs with the resources it currently has. You also have to ask the question - 'Does the Board of Grimsby Town really want to get back in the proper football league?' - or is running this football club more sustainable at Conference level.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 261
chaos33
March 19, 2014, 11:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,972
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Teestogreen

On top of all that you have said Pontoonlew, which is a very insightful assessment of Towns chances, I frightened myself by looking at the very short time frame that we have for fulfilling the remaining fixtures in this season, and I can't see how Craig Disley and Scott Kerr (at the age of 32 each - a lot younger than me I know) can be the midfield powerhouse game after game (younger players being substituted when the facts suggest they sometimes are performing better) . I'm sure this is a reason for the slow starts and it's costing us points. The current strategy is to keep the 'relatively' olduns on.

Craig Disleys goals have been crucial this season to keep us in the hunt - but surely he needs to be looked after, to keep him fresh (er), otherwise he can't do justice to himself. Great goal last Saturday and this reflects his inner desire to succeed

Tell that to Paul Hurst. Never rested, subbed or dropped regardless of form.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 261
27 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FGR v Town Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.