The Fishy - Grimsby Town FC

Player Minutes

Nathan Clarke 2,810
Danny Collins 2,578
Siriki Dembele 2,525
Ben Davies 2,441
Luke Summerfield 2,332
James McKeown 2,283
Sam Jones 1,985
James Berrett 1,898
Paul Dixon 1,824
Mitch Rose 1,822
Zak Mills 1,661

Full Stats
Latest Scores

Question of the Week

When should John Fenty stand down?

End of season
When successor found
Job for life!

Arthur: MOM
Arthur: MOM

Two Points Dropped

By: Rob Sedgwick
Date: 13/02/2011

GRIMSBY once again disappointed in another Conference game they should have won. Leading 1-0 at half time in a game they had totally dominated, the Mariners lost their way in the second half and let Cambridge into it. But for Kenny Arthur in Town's goal Grimsby could have lost the game.

Lee Ridley start at left back after a long injury lay-off, and Michael Coulson also came in for the injured Peter Bore. The only other change was midfielder Mark Hudson who replaced the injured Micky Cummins.

Town got off to a good start and Coulson set up Connell in the opening minutes. but Town's leading scorer had his shot blocked on the line by the 'keeper.

Town won the first corner of the game on 5 minutes, and the opening goal came from the second phase of the set piece. The initial ball into the box was cleared by Cambridge but Town kept possession and Coulson eventually switched inside and picked out Sinclair, who carefully placed the ball past the 'keeper and it went in off the post.

Cambridge barely made it past the half way line in the first 20 minutes, and Grimsby continued to press for a second. They went close when on 21 Connell had a free kick which was well saved by the 'keeper.

Then on 32 an opportunistic effort by Connell saw Town's talisman attempt to chip the 'keeper, but the ball bounced off the underside of the bar and was eventually cleared for a corner.

Connell 32 opportunistic effort chipped ball from EOB underside of bar, cleared for corner

Kenny Arthur finally had something to do in first half injury time, when he tipped a long range shot over for a corner.

Grimsby had completely dominated the first 45 minutes but only had a 1 goal lead. Would they live to regret it?

Cambridge looked much brighter from the start of the second half, and they forced a good save out of Arthur early on. But the eventual equaliser had an element of fortune in it as a long range shot from Josh Coulson (no relation) took a deflection that left Arthur with no chance.

Cambridge's confidence was lifted by the goal and Arthur was called upon again when Town's keeper denied Patrick at close range.

Town tried to improve things with the introduction of Peacock and Makofo.

But Town were mainly shooting from distance, and it was Cambridge who again went close when McCauley was played through but Arthur was quick to react and dived to save the ball from McCauley's feet.

Town had some last pressure and chances, but the best of all fell to Peacock whose injury time volley went just wide of the goal.

Grimsby in the end had to settle for a point, which saw them losing ground on the teams currently occupying the final two play-off places.

Add To Facebook

This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!

Related Stories

Forum Latest
Thread TitlePostsLatest Post
New Fishy Pontoon Buster Game27Les Brechin24/01 07:20
Phil Neville15Father Christmas24/01 07:15
Was it really?5golfer24/01 06:37
No movement, no news, no hope!!53The Dogs Testicles24/01 06:18
Upcoming Fixtures1SiteBot24/01 03:10
Tonight's Results5KingstonMariner24/01 00:15
Don't call me surely23KingstonMariner24/01 00:11
Gullivers11ginnywings23/01 23:50
Hartlepool 40Mariner Ronnie23/01 20:57
Checkatrade Trophy - Statement9KingstonMariner23/01 20:47

News  | Submit Article  |   | 
© 2018