The Fishy - Grimsby Town FC

League Two Form Guide

3Port Vale6512
5Leyton Orient6411
9Cambridge Utd6210
10Crawley Town649
19Newport County6-86
20Forest Green6-15

Full Form Table

Latest Results (all divisions)

Follow the Fishy on Twitter
NewsNow logo

Question of the Week

How long can Grimsby survive on 1500 gates?

3 months
6 months
12 months
18 months

Hearn: On Target
Hearn: On Target

Town Lose Thriller

By: Rob Sedgwick
Date: 25/09/2011

GRIMSBY came out second best in an entertaining game at Blundell Park on Saturday, losing 3-1 to joint leaders Wrexham. After falling a goal behind, Hearn got the Mariners back into the game. Town had chances to go ahead, but eventually the Welsh side finished stronger, winning by a two goal margin.

Town made just one change from the team which beat Kettering, Ridley coming in for the injured Green at left back.

In the opening minute Town 'keeper McKeown had to make good save to deny Cieslewicz's cross shot.

Then Town came close but only a last ditch tackle denied Hearn when he was played through by Makofo

Grimsby at this stage were putting Wrexham under a lot of pressure, but it was the visitors who took the lead against the run of play. On 15 minutes Town once again defended poorly from a corner. Bean pole Pogba rose to give the visitors the lead with a looping header which sailed over the defence and into the net.

After two Town "goals" were disallowed for offside the Mariners - and, finally, Liam Hearn - got off the mark. Town's hitherto barren striker received a ball from Disley on the edge of the box, took a touch to give himself a shooting chance and flashed it low past the 'keeper

Town had two chances before half time where they could have taken the lead. Firstly a Kempson header from an Eagle free kick was tipped over. Then Hearn was put through again and got clear of his defender in a near identical position to the goal, but this time his shot was tipped wide.

Town started strongly after the break and looked if anything the more likely side to win the game, but the visitors once again went in front with a fairly soft goal. Harris received the ball about 30 yards out from goal, the defence backed off, so he struck the ball low and hard along the ground into the corner of the net, probably taking McKeown by surprise.

Town could have levelled when an Eagle free kick was launched into the box and came out to Disley, who tried to chip the ball back in over the defence and 'keeper but it just missed the target.

Wrexham however made sure of the game with a good team goal. They passed the ball through the Town defence and Fowler finished it off by curling it round McKeown.

Town should have could made the game interesting but, in a massive goal mouth scramble, the ball was twice cleared off the line, leaving more than one Wrexham player injured as boots went flying in.

Grimsby were not disgraced but overall fell shortly below the level set by the visitors.

Add To Facebook

This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!

Related Stories