Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Padraig Amond SIGNED!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 119 Guests

Padraig Amond SIGNED!!

This thread currently has 33,697 views. Print
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
July 3, 2015, 10:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Personally I hope Hurst doesn't sign a big 'target' man.

Lumping the ball up to someone like LJL or Palmer doesn't work and I am afraid Amond will spent all season on the bench (as might JPP) if he does as he will no doubt couple the big lump whoever he is with Bogle.

I fully expect Bogle to be the first name on the team sheet every week given all the over hyped stuff surrounding his signing even if he isn't scoring ('give him time' or 'he will come good' - I can already hear it!)

Bogle and Amond playing it on the deck could just work very well - forget the hoofball

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 129
grimsby pete
July 3, 2015, 10:52am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,828
Gold Stars: 222
I see somebody has just bought his signed shirt,

Now just  shy of £63,000 , great going guys.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 129
ginnywings
July 3, 2015, 10:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Ipswin
Personally I hope Hurst doesn't sign a big 'target' man.

Lumping the ball up to someone like LJL or Palmer doesn't work and I am afraid Amond will spent all season on the bench (as might JPP) if he does as he will no doubt couple the big lump whoever he is with Bogle.

I fully expect Bogle to be the first name on the team sheet every week given all the over hyped stuff surrounding his signing even if he isn't scoring ('give him time' or 'he will come good' - I can already hear it!)

Bogle and Amond playing it on the deck could just work very well - forget the hoofball

Would love us to play 'on the deck' but can't see it myself. Football at this level is fairly agricultural and a pretty level playing field, with the better sides having just that bit more footballing edge. I thought Barnet were an awful side but they found the right formula. Bristol weren't exactly Barcelona either.

I'll be happy if we maintain our great away record and score those few extra goals that will give us the extra points we were missing last season.

If we can up our conversion rate on last season, we will be there or thereabouts and i think we have the strikers to do that now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 129
Nelly GTFC
July 7, 2015, 8:16pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,754
Gold Stars: 31
According to this, League of Ireland Premier Division champions Dundalk and NIFL Premiership runners-up Linfield were the clubs chasing him.
So he turned down the chance of UEFA Cup football to join us >> [url=http://www.punditarena.com/irish-football/league-of-ireland/nnewberry/dundalk-target-ex-sligo-striker-padraig-amond/]Link[/url]

Spent a few nights doing a revamp of his Wiki page, still need to verify his Shamrock and Kildare appearances / goals, but it's accurate after that.
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pádraig_Amond]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pádraig_Amond[/url]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/UyBcjLN.png[/img][img]http://i.imgur.com/MxjKIO1.png[/img]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 129
Alfie
July 7, 2015, 9:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
According to this, League of Ireland Premier Division champions Dundalk and NIFL Premiership runners-up Linfield were the clubs chasing him.
So he turned down the chance of UEFA Cup football to join us >> [url=http://www.punditarena.com/irish-football/league-of-ireland/nnewberry/dundalk-target-ex-sligo-striker-padraig-amond/]Link[/url]

Spent a few nights doing a revamp of his Wiki page, still need to verify his Shamrock and Kildare appearances / goals, but it's accurate after that apart from a goal missing for Sligo Rovers I'll find sooner or later.

Are you single by any chance?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 129
WetFlannel
July 7, 2015, 11:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
How on Earth can some people not understand how the games changed since Jack Charlton played for England?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 129
IrishMariner
July 7, 2015, 11:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 19
Article Amond wrote this week in our local paper The Nationalist

Grimsby's ambitions make it the right choice

"After what felt like a long summer's break I was happy to get back into pre-season training last Wednesday morning with my new club Grimsby Town. It was great to finally get my future sorted just in time for the start of pre-season and not to be going into a club a week behind the other player's fitness. I was delighted to sign for Grimsby town and I am really excited about the coming season with them and I feel it can be an extremely successful season for both the club and me too.
   Grimsby Town are a massive club and they are a Football League club in all but name. The club have great facilities and have a following that wouldn't look out of place in League One. So far everyone at the club has been very good to me and there is a real buzz in the area about the club and the players we have signed already.
I had a number of options during the summer in a few different countries but I think that joining Grimsby could be something special.
  The club were a kick of a ball away from being promoted to the Football League last season (they got beat in the play-off final on penalties by Bristol Rovers) and have been beaten in the playoffs for the past three seasons. There was a couple of things that really sold me on the idea of going to Grimsby. One was how much the management team wanted to sign me there. Another was how keen the manager Paul Hurst and assistant Chris Doig were. They were calling me at every possible chance they had to sign. They were both on holidays and calling me to convince me to sign and it probably would have been done earlier if it wasn't for the holidays getting in the way. The other thing was the style of play the manager has. He is a manager that wants to get the ball down and pass it out from the back too. You want to play for managers like that as they will always create chances and as a striker we thrive on things like that. I spoke to a couple of friends who used to play for Grimsby and they said to me sign there it's a great club which was very reassuring.
    When you join a new club your first day is always a very nervous day as you are the newbie and the chances are that you know nobody except from playing against them.
  Thankfully,I knew a couple of the players is who I used to play with at Accrington Stanley and Morecambe and that made it a lot easier for me. All the other lads were very welcoming to me and over the course of the first week I have got to know them fairly well and so far I love it. The first week was very tough with double sessions everyday but it's a great way to get a squad bonding and pushing each other through everything and we know that that will be key for us if we are to have a successful season.
  The quality of players we have is very good and I'm very impressed with a few players in particular. We have a couple of pre-season friendlies coming up this week which everyone is looking forward to. On Wednesday,we play a local team called Cleethorpes and then on Saturday I will get my first home game when we take on Derby County in what is going to be a massive test for us.
  Results aren't everything in pre-season as it is all about getting match fitness but it would be a nice boost if we were to get a positive result against Derby.
The fixtures for the season came out on Friday so we all know how hard we have to work in pre-season to be on the team sheet for the first day of the season. I have a feeling that this could be a really big season for me and the club. I had chances to sign for a couple of teams in League Two but none of them had the same ambitions as Grimsby Town and the manager Paul Hurst had so I hope that my decision will be proved right come the end of the season in May."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 129
Tommy
July 8, 2015, 12:16am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Thanks for sharing that IrishMariner. Wouldn't have otherwise seen that I don't think, and it's s good read.

The bit about Hurst and Doing pestering him and calling him perusing him to sign is reminiscent of Slade harassing Reddy until he signed for us in 2004.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 129
Abdul19
July 8, 2015, 12:58am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,577
Gold Stars: 218
Cheers IM, a good and very encouraging read.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 129
chaos33
July 8, 2015, 4:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,980
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from ginnywings

Would love us to play 'on the deck' but can't see it myself. Football at this level is fairly agricultural and a pretty level playing field, with the better sides having just that bit more footballing edge. I thought Barnet were an awful side but they found the right formula. Bristol weren't exactly Barcelona either.

I'll be happy if we maintain our great away record and score those few extra goals that will give us the extra points we were missing last season.

If we can up our conversion rate on last season, we will be there or thereabouts and i think we have the strikers to do that now.

I agree mate

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 129
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Padraig Amond SIGNED!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.