Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Padraig Amond SIGNED!!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 114 Guests

Padraig Amond SIGNED!!

This thread currently has 33,705 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
MeanwoodMariner
July 2, 2015, 6:55pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Ipswin

But does going closer than Lincoln satisfy you? Is that really the extent of our ambitions?

I suspect he would like us to get promoted, like literally every other Town fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 129
Ipswin
July 2, 2015, 6:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

I suspect he would like us to get promoted, like literally every other Town fan.

I'm sure you are right but many seem to regard last season as a success just because we made it to the play off final - it wasn't - we lost and we are still out of the Football League - anything short of that is failure and a miss really is 'as good as a mile'

With the squad we have assembled for next season it appears it is probably our best chance (and possibly last chance) to get out of this league - it is all (sh!t or bust) on next season - players are either on just a one year or will come to the end of a two year contract next May and I don't see many wanting to re-sign if we have missed out again.

If this squad fails then Hurst too must go - if he can't do it with this set of players he is never gonna do it

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 129
StaffsMariner
July 2, 2015, 7:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
Ok. Hands up who turned this great new signing thread in to this drivel. some opinions should be kept to yourselves rather than adding ....but i hope im wrong or similar to the end it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 129
MeanwoodMariner
July 2, 2015, 7:10pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Ipswin

I'm sure you are right but many seem to regard last season as a success just because we made it to the play off final - it wasn't - we lost and we are still out of the Football League - anything short of that is failure and a miss really is 'as good as a mile'

But you can't look at it all in such black and white terms. Well you can if you like but it requires overlooking all the things that make supporting a football team worthwhile.

Yes, we still in the same division we'd have been in if we'd finished 15th. But would there be this overwhelming sense of optimism most of us are feeling? We've got players turning down better deals elsewhere to have another crack at the title. The whole operation promotion phenomenon has been incredible. This just wouldn't be happening if we'd finished mid table.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 129
Rodley Mariner
July 2, 2015, 7:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
I think most people regarded last season as progress because we came closer to achieving what we all want. If we progress more this season we'll go up if we don't there will be a discussion to be had. Why anybody wants to have that discussion at the moment I have not a clue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 129
Ipswin
July 2, 2015, 7:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

But you can't look at it all in such black and white terms. Well you can if you like but it requires overlooking all the things that make supporting a football team worthwhile.

Yes, we still in the same division we'd have been in if we'd finished 15th. But would there be this overwhelming sense of optimism most of us are feeling? We've got players turning down better deals elsewhere to have another crack at the title. The whole operation promotion phenomenon has been incredible. This just wouldn't be happening if we'd finished mid table.

I agree of course but now they have to deliver, players and fans are not going to ride on this sense of optimism (brought about by losing a play off final)  for very long especially if the best squad for years misses out again

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 129
friskneymariner
July 2, 2015, 7:32pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
The thing is we may have lost the play off final,but we were not outplayed or beaten by a better team,we were  beaten in the lottery of a penalty shoot out.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 129
pontoonlew
July 2, 2015, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I'm sure when push came to shove most people would say this is Hurst's last shot at it.

But why on earth is this getting mentioned in July for gods sake? I've never been his biggest advocate and I still have niggling doubts but he is seemingly learning from mistakes that he's made in the past. So just let it go until you actually see the side out on the pitch for a few months at least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 129
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 2, 2015, 7:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

I actually think the last month shows how misleading that saying can be.

Not really. The massive support we fans have shown in the last month may well be partly because Town were the better side at Wemberlee but the end result of a miss in terms of the division we are in is the same as if we were crap and lost 6-0. Unless I'm mistaken, in August we are still in the Conference aren't we? That's the yardstick of success, nearly is not nearly good enough now.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 129
acko338
July 2, 2015, 8:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
Anyway we appear to have another forward who isn't scared to take a shot and seems quick thinking around tight penalty area situations, so let's give him some support on his news thread.

New forwards, new challenge, good times ahead, we hope !!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 129
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Padraig Amond SIGNED!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.