chaos33
March 28, 2016, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,980
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from mariner91

I can see the logic but we're rapidly running out of games to bridge the gulf and today, against a limited team with little to play for in front of lots of Town fans, was a great chance that we've blown. If we'd won today we'd have gone to Cheltenham on Friday with them shitting themselves!

I know mate. I meant to say that statistically we are in with roughly the same chance of the title (albeit a further point behind FGR),  not actually. We won't win the title I don't think, regardless of the teasing, numerical scope.
The thing that's especially galling is that this looks like the year when chance after chance to make a claim on top spot has presented itself. This hasn't really happened to us before. Unfortunately we have squandered opportunity after opportunity, and usually against 'nothing' teams. That has.

Hurst hasn't got it in him to take is to that level, and neither have most of the players, evidently.

If only it was the fans that won promotion eh.....

Did Hurst do a post match interview?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 137
easypeersy
March 28, 2016, 8:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
I think the match at Cheltenham is absolutely massive and if we win then there is still that thread of hope.
Lose or draw it and it's Play Offs for sure!
I reckon it'll be a draw personally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 137
HertsGTFC
March 28, 2016, 8:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

Marcus Bignot - Solihull Moors, currently 12 points advantage at the top of the National North, although played two games more.  Maybe he can get Bogle firing like he did the last few seasons.

I would of said John McDermott at Harrogate, but they have LLDDL their last 5 games, so might not achieve the playoffs yet.

Would you not want someone who has achieved success at our level or above. Hurst and Scott had a good record at a lower level.

I would love Macca as Manager but is he not assistant at Harrogate? Massive gamble that. John Still would have done it for me but he as a southerner would not move North and would be massively unpopular as soon as we had a poor result.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 137
mariner91
March 28, 2016, 8:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from chaos33

I know mate. I meant to say that statistically we are in with roughly the same chance of the title (albeit a further point behind FGR),  not actually. We won't win the title I don't think, regardless of the teasing, numerical scope.
The thing that's especially galling is that this looks like the year when chance after chance to make a claim on top spot has presented itself. This hasn't really happened to us before. Unfortunately we have squandered opportunity after opportunity, and usually against 'nothing' teams. That has.

Hurst hasn't got it in him to take is to that level, and neither have most of the players, evidently.

Not heard it if he has. My worry is that if Amond's goalscoring dries up then we're finished because we have no other threat really. He's a brilliant striker but I'd be very surprised if he can keep going at the rate he has been doing since November which is extremely troubling for our play off hopes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 137
FishOutOfWater
March 28, 2016, 9:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from chaos33

Yeah he did Chaos

In short he said he was unhappy

Unhappy with how we didn't perform in the first half so that's why he changed things early (and admitted that he doesn't usually make such changes )

Even more unhappy with the officials and said their second was way offside and even the Macc bench couldn't believe how they got away with it

He was asked too about the changes and said Hoban out / Bogle in was owing to Pat having given his all but today might have been too tiring whereas Omar was chomping at the bit so deserved his chance. Said he'd get criticism whichever way but the changes didn't affect the team
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 134 - 137
friskneymariner
March 28, 2016, 9:10pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from mariner91

Not heard it if he has. My worry is that if Amond's goalscoring dries up then we're finished because we have no other threat really. He's a brilliant striker but I'd be very surprised if he can keep going at the rate he has been doing since November which is extremely troubling for our play off hopes.

That is my fear, and has been all season,we have no strong  pacey  winger running onto loose balls in the area.This is especially apparent at corners.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 137
Nelly GTFC
March 28, 2016, 10:26pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,754
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Marcus Bignot - Solihull Moors, currently 12 points advantage at the top of the National North, although played two games more.  Maybe he can get Bogle firing like he did the last few seasons.

I would of said John McDermott at Harrogate, but they have LLDDL their last 5 games, so might not achieve the playoffs yet.
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Would you not want someone who has achieved success at our level or above. Hurst and Scott had a good record at a lower level.

I would love Macca as Manager but is he not assistant at Harrogate? Massive gamble that. John Still would have done it for me but he as a southerner would not move North and would be massively unpopular as soon as we had a poor result.
If we can get someone decent that is available yes.  I've said it before, no offense to them, but the Town board will never take the opportunity to grab a decent manager if one was available, it's just the way it is.  We could of had Micky Mellon a couple of seasons ago when he left as assistant of Barnsley December 2013, ends up at Shrewsbury at the end of 2013/14, gets them promoted and even though they're 17th in league one, they haven't lost a match in 9 games.

Hurst just does enough in our league to keep him in his job in the eyes of the Town board, we have had a fairly easy ride to the FA Trophy final, it's a total Mickey Mouse cup, it's not a massive achievement and if we don't win promotion, it will just be a glory day out for 12,000 people who can't be bothered to turn up at Blundell Park week in, week out.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 137
HertsGTFC
March 28, 2016, 10:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
[/quote]If we can get someone decent that is available yes.  I've said it before, no offense to them, but the Town board will never take the opportunity to grab a decent manager if one was available, it's just the way it is.  We could of had Micky Mellon a couple of seasons ago when he left as assistant of Barnsley December 2013, ends up at Shrewsbury at the end of 2013/14, gets them promoted and even though they're 17th in league one, they haven't lost a match in 9 games.

Hurst just does enough in our league to keep him in his job in the eyes of the Town board, we have had a fairly easy ride to the FA Trophy final, it's a total Mickey Mouse cup, it's not a massive achievement and if we don't win promotion, it will just be a glory day out for 12,000 people who can't be bothered to turn up at Blundell Park week in, week out.

I could not agree more to be honest mate.........Though based upon this year 12,000 for the FAT final is optimistic I reckon, but there will be some week in week out fans in whatever numbers we take.

The FAT has cost me this year as a season ticket holder living South I find night games difficult to get to and there have been more this term due to FAT postponements..........Will I be at the final? Only if we win there the week before I'm afraid.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 137
14 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.