14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
davmariner
March 28, 2016, 5:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,962
Gold Stars: 79
Shame we didn't take at least a point from this. With a difficult run of fixtures coming up I fear we'll be looking over our shoulders. Tranmere have a decent run-in and have a feeling they'll sneak into the play-offs - hopefully not at our expense.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 137
chaos33
March 28, 2016, 5:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,979
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from Mariner93er
Hurst did get it wrong today but my God, how are the players getting away with barely any criticism here. I saw an interview with Graeme Souness the other week were he said players get away with murder nowadays, escape a large amount of criticism which is then diverted to the manager. I can't help but feel he's right.

I'm sure that the supporters who suffered the non performance today will have plenty to say about the players when they return tonight. By the sounds of it, they did little to deserve that fabulous travelling backing they received today.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 137
Sigone
March 28, 2016, 5:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from davmariner
Shame we didn't take at least a point from this. With a difficult run of fixtures coming up I fear we'll be looking over our shoulders. Tranmere have a decent run-in and have a feeling they'll sneak into the play-offs - hopefully not at our expense.

It's the better teams i dont fear us playing though..The crud well that's a different story.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 137
Garth
March 28, 2016, 5:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Sigone

It's the better teams i dont fear us playing though..The crud well that's a different story.  

Thats all very well but its not logic is it,  and its a pattern that could easily change come the play offs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 137
Bigdog
March 28, 2016, 5:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mariner93er
Hurst did get it wrong today but my God, how are the players getting away with barely any criticism here. I saw an interview with Graeme Souness the other week were he said players get away with murder nowadays, escape a large amount of criticism which is then diverted to the manager. I can't help but feel he's right.

You've made a really good point there. But the manager is there to inspire confidence and set out tactics the players will believe in. If us fans find it hard to find any inspiration in Hurst, imagine how the players feel working with him day in day out. I don't think he morphs into Alex Ferguson on the training ground. He also picks the team, the formation and orders them to play to a certain style, method and shape.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 137
MuddyWaters
March 28, 2016, 5:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Some players have been tossing it off for weeks. Unfortunately, like the manager, they think they just need to get to the play offs and that will do for now.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 137
Mariner93er
March 28, 2016, 5:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Bigdog

You've made a really good point there. But the manager is there to inspire confidence and set out tactics the players will believe in. If us fans find it hard to find any inspiration in Hurst, imagine how the players feel working with him day in day out. I don't think he morphs into Alex Ferguson on the training ground. He also picks the team, the formation and orders them to play to a certain style, method and shape.

I honestly believe the impact a manager can have on confidence is limited, with previous performances dictating it much more. And you're right, and maybe his tactics weren't correct today. But what about the other times we've failed to beat lower opposition when the tactic used has worked previously, surely that is a result of the player rather than the manager. I'm not saying Hurst should avoid criticism, but I do feel he is really let down by the players on days like this.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 137
RoboCod
March 28, 2016, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
It'd be great if we could take off one of these under performing players and put a new, chomping at the bit player, eager to prove himself in their place.
Sort of substituting one player for another in a (get this bit!) tactical way.

It could take off, who knows.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 137
Sigone
March 28, 2016, 5:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Garth

Thats all very well but its not logic is it,  and its a pattern that could easily change come the play offs

Football is never logical...Seems that when the players feel a challenge they rise to it..Motivation from either the management team OR the players individually(collectively)  should be called into question.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 137
Bigdog
March 28, 2016, 5:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mariner93er

I honestly believe the impact a manager can have on confidence is limited, with previous performances dictating it much more. And you're right, and maybe his tactics weren't correct today. But what about the other times we've failed to beat lower opposition when the tactic used has worked previously, surely that is a result of the player rather than the manager. I'm not saying Hurst should avoid criticism, but I do feel he is really let down by the players on days like this.

I meant players personal confidence in team selection, management of squad, signings, formation etc. Results and performances do breed confidence though. It's more about whether the players fully buy into his decisions. I think scraping a few wins has papered over the cracks since Halifax. The Bogle outburst was clear evidence that the squad's faith in Hurst's decisions was running a little thin. It has left us brittle when it comes to performances and I'm worried that a team like Tranmere will have the real momentum going into the play offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.