4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
sonofmadeleymariner
January 1, 2019, 3:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Obviously disappointed to lose and can't fault anyones effort again this today, but Mansfield winning was a fair result, we never really looked a threat going forward because of the state we were in at the back. A mix of individual errors and just not getting the rub of the green kept killing our attacking efforts, Hall-Johnson, Hendrie, Fox and M Rose should be commended for their efforts in defence in the first half and Wooly in the second.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
ginnywings
January 1, 2019, 4:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Am i being harsh? Thought we lost to a better side myself, but there was no lack of effort from us. The difference was probably down to the 2 defences. They were well drilled and used to playing as a unit and we weren't.

Thought we acquitted ourselves well, but they kept us mostly at bay, and are obviously a side that have had a good chunk of money spent on it and are further along in their development than we are. We are a young side and will get better in time. No shame losing today, all things considered, and i'm mostly optimistic, despite the loss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
LH
January 1, 2019, 4:12pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,519
Gold Stars: 173
Terrible ref. A lot of guesswork by him and the assistants and they got most of those 50/50 decisions wrong. Timewasting by Mansfield is easily resolved with early yellows but we rarely see that from any ref anyway.

Mansfield were very good and effective at what they did. We were never going to lose by more than a goal today even with a patched together defence (it was funny how Fox who was the only player playing in his preferred position ended up going off after a poor first half!). They did counter well and were all over us in midfield when once they’d managed to nullify Embleton who had a bit of freedom early in the second half. Singing the name of their owner was a bit cringey moment for me though - although probably exactly why he decided to buy a football club in the first place.

Positives for us: Vernam isn’t long term injured. Hopefully we can get Famewo or Collins in some sort of fitness for the weekend. Palace probably won’t let us get away lightly like Mansfield did today. 9 from 12 is an excellent festive period get some bodies in for cover and extend Embleton’s loan and we’ll be fine but I’d only give us a 1% chance of making the play-offs.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
Bigdog
January 1, 2019, 4:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Mansfield are the finished article if you want to look at the attributes of a League Two promotion winning side. By keeping in the game for the full ninety minutes and giving us a chance of nicking something, I thought our very makeshift team has to be given a lot of credit. Not going to pick the bones out of this one and defintely not going to over-analyse the Palace game on Saturday. Hopefully we can put a near full strength side out a week on Saturday to re-ignite our impressive run of results in the league..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
Jarmo.Is.God
January 1, 2019, 4:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
The players are knackered, and the midfield 3 have been incredible.

Hess did the defensive work superbly today, and Clifton loves to drive forward, local lad or not, he's a good player, and Embleton has ridiculously quick feet, and is a better version of Nolan

I would like to see them 3 play with Welsh behind them against palace and hope to keep them out for as long as possible and aim for Thomas on the counter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
Mrs Doyle
January 1, 2019, 4:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Not much in it their goal was a well taken powerful diving header but he never had any challenge to it in the box and timed his run to perfection.

Pluses for us Clifton is really showing what good player he is. Embelton is always looking to make room for a shot and when he does he always tests the keeper who today made two good saves to deny him. I thought our defence did ok against a good attack and Macca made some smart saves. Thomas seemed a bit too harassed and unfortunately, Akheem never got much service and never got a chance to run at them.

On the whole, their defence looked stronger and well drilled with a couple of stand out players especially good at driving forward.

Our players gave their all you can't ask for much more.                 UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
moosey_club
January 1, 2019, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
A bridge too far.....a hectic Xmas schedule....injuries...suspensions...and playing a side that hasnt lost away and has only lost once all season.

Players huffed and puffed but something just not clicking today....players slipping, passes either underhit or mistimed....Embleton, Pringle and Thomas below par for me...Embleton trying to do too much on the ball and constantly checking back and losing any momentum with the ball.

Up until their goal i thought Mansfield were nothing special just hitting long diagonals which we were picking off , we switched off for one moment let them in but Macca's save only delayed the agony as they scored from the resulting corner.  

Valiant effort but just not enough quality where it mattered and very few balls into the box from wide today.  

Pick themselves up and go again.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
AndyGTFC
January 1, 2019, 4:33pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Was always gonna be hard with that defence, they coped well and there wasn’t much in the game considering. They’re just slightly better at this moment in time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
wembley_double98
January 1, 2019, 4:37pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +154
An enjoyable competitive game considering our defence shortfalls/lack of numbers
Great effort from all the players, there is defo a team spirit about the whole squad
Ref was disappointing to say the least
UTM!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity.
The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
fiveallive
January 1, 2019, 4:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
The loss today was expected a draw would of been great, I didn't see much difference today from us and Mansfield which is great from where we start of the season.

Where making strides and can only see improvements in the coming months.

I think the players have been excellent all Christmas, and I hope Whitmore learns from last game because we needed him today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.