4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 1, 2019, 3:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
Disappointing and frustrating that we build up the momentum to a big crowd, and then lose, which seems to be the way with Town, but that is my heart talking.

My head says we were beaten by a side that look as good as any i have seen here for a while, especially at he back, where they were quick, strong and very organised, keeping us mostly at arms length. Their right back was exceptional and looked a couple of divisions lower than his ability, but the whole back four of theirs were very good i thought.

In contrast, our back four looked like it was, makeshift, and we gave away a very soft goal. Macca made some more cracking stops to keep the score down, but for me, they were always just a shade better than us and deserved to win the game.

We had some good moments, and the effort was there, but ultimately, it was a game too far for a depleted squad. Think Mansfield will go up, so no great shame in losing to them. Thought their support was rather tame considering where they are in the league, and hopefully, we can progress in time to the level of their team.

I think Clifton looks better and better every time i see him and he had a great second half, but ultimately, we couldn't get behind them enough to cause too many problems for them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Abdul19
January 1, 2019, 3:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,564
Gold Stars: 216
No shame in losing today, just lost to the better side. Thought their number 5 was very solid. 9 points from 12 is still an excellent Christmas/NY return. Hopefully we get some defenders (back) soon.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
kamakazebear
January 1, 2019, 3:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +470
Hope they go up so I don't have to hear that awful yellow chant for at least another year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
ginnywings
January 1, 2019, 3:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Forgot to mention the member end of a ref. The worst type of "look at me" official. Not blaming him for our defeat at all, but he was terrible. Did everything in slow motion and with exaggerated posturing, but got loads wrong as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
hheh2
January 1, 2019, 3:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Only a goal in it and the stats are even considering we had no centre backs we performed well against top side of the league

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
hampshiremariner
January 1, 2019, 3:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,056
Gold Stars: 35
We had games two tough games before-Port Vale (a) and Exeter (a) and then being scheduled  to play  lunch time was a very big ask. Very little recovery time and a lot of travelling as well. A physio has told me that even an extra 12 hours can make a difference to recovery for these lads. The Christmas programme is a killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
Mikey_345
January 1, 2019, 3:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Had to end sometime but no less disappointing.

Given the travelling of late (still think it’s scandalous our away fixtures this festive period) and the mounting injuries I’m still feeling very positive, certainly can’t fault the effort.

Obviously Hendrie and RHJ aren’t CB’s but I thought they did well filling in and didn’t let us down. Impressed we tried to play our way back into the game.

One thing I would say about Embleton, other than we need to secure him for the season and he’s a very good player, is that I wish (just sometimes) he’d release the ball a touch quicker either to shoot or pass.  He’ll learn that with time, still young.

Macca made his obligatory top class save as well and the red the less that’s said the better....

Hopefully we can get a few back and go again after Palace.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
grimsby pete
January 1, 2019, 3:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,798
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from hampshiremariner
We had games two tough games before-Port Vale (a) and Exeter (a) and then being scheduled  to play  lunch time was a very big ask. Very little recovery time and a lot of travelling as well. A physio has told me that even an extra 12 hours can make a difference to recovery for these lads. The Christmas programme is a killer.

Spot on Mansfield had 2 home games over Christmas then a short trip to us,

Not really fair on us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
Cloudy
January 1, 2019, 3:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Bit harsh on the lads imo Ginny.

Bishop could well have seen red before he scored which was well worked with the modern day ‘blocking off’. Considering our make shift defence thought we coped pretty well, RHJ in particular sticking to his task admirably.
Central midfield all did well. Embleton as ever looking our best bet to create or score especially in the first 10 mins of 2nd half, Clifton is so full of energy and Hess vastly underestimated by many.
Cardwell and Pringle offered little and Wes was well marshalled but his touch wasn’t as sharp as usual.

Mansfield are a side which many would see as typical league 2. Big big side.They have underperformed considering the huge investment by their owner but I expect them to take one of the automatic places come season end
Most on here say if the team gives their all they are happy. On that basis I can’t be too critical because effort and desire was certainly evident

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
promotion plaice
January 1, 2019, 3:53pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

If Thomas had managed to put that early chance away who knows what could have happened but no shame in losing to them.

Though the ref gave us very little but maybe I am too biased towards Town !!!

Agree with Ginny that Clifton seems to get better with every game.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
sonofmadeleymariner
January 1, 2019, 3:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Obviously disappointed to lose and can't fault anyones effort again this today, but Mansfield winning was a fair result, we never really looked a threat going forward because of the state we were in at the back. A mix of individual errors and just not getting the rub of the green kept killing our attacking efforts, Hall-Johnson, Hendrie, Fox and M Rose should be commended for their efforts in defence in the first half and Wooly in the second.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
ginnywings
January 1, 2019, 4:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Am i being harsh? Thought we lost to a better side myself, but there was no lack of effort from us. The difference was probably down to the 2 defences. They were well drilled and used to playing as a unit and we weren't.

Thought we acquitted ourselves well, but they kept us mostly at bay, and are obviously a side that have had a good chunk of money spent on it and are further along in their development than we are. We are a young side and will get better in time. No shame losing today, all things considered, and i'm mostly optimistic, despite the loss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
LH
January 1, 2019, 4:12pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,519
Gold Stars: 173
Terrible ref. A lot of guesswork by him and the assistants and they got most of those 50/50 decisions wrong. Timewasting by Mansfield is easily resolved with early yellows but we rarely see that from any ref anyway.

Mansfield were very good and effective at what they did. We were never going to lose by more than a goal today even with a patched together defence (it was funny how Fox who was the only player playing in his preferred position ended up going off after a poor first half!). They did counter well and were all over us in midfield when once they’d managed to nullify Embleton who had a bit of freedom early in the second half. Singing the name of their owner was a bit cringey moment for me though - although probably exactly why he decided to buy a football club in the first place.

Positives for us: Vernam isn’t long term injured. Hopefully we can get Famewo or Collins in some sort of fitness for the weekend. Palace probably won’t let us get away lightly like Mansfield did today. 9 from 12 is an excellent festive period get some bodies in for cover and extend Embleton’s loan and we’ll be fine but I’d only give us a 1% chance of making the play-offs.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
Bigdog
January 1, 2019, 4:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Mansfield are the finished article if you want to look at the attributes of a League Two promotion winning side. By keeping in the game for the full ninety minutes and giving us a chance of nicking something, I thought our very makeshift team has to be given a lot of credit. Not going to pick the bones out of this one and defintely not going to over-analyse the Palace game on Saturday. Hopefully we can put a near full strength side out a week on Saturday to re-ignite our impressive run of results in the league..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
Jarmo.Is.God
January 1, 2019, 4:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
The players are knackered, and the midfield 3 have been incredible.

Hess did the defensive work superbly today, and Clifton loves to drive forward, local lad or not, he's a good player, and Embleton has ridiculously quick feet, and is a better version of Nolan

I would like to see them 3 play with Welsh behind them against palace and hope to keep them out for as long as possible and aim for Thomas on the counter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
Mrs Doyle
January 1, 2019, 4:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Not much in it their goal was a well taken powerful diving header but he never had any challenge to it in the box and timed his run to perfection.

Pluses for us Clifton is really showing what good player he is. Embelton is always looking to make room for a shot and when he does he always tests the keeper who today made two good saves to deny him. I thought our defence did ok against a good attack and Macca made some smart saves. Thomas seemed a bit too harassed and unfortunately, Akheem never got much service and never got a chance to run at them.

On the whole, their defence looked stronger and well drilled with a couple of stand out players especially good at driving forward.

Our players gave their all you can't ask for much more.                 UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
moosey_club
January 1, 2019, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,247
Gold Stars: 226
A bridge too far.....a hectic Xmas schedule....injuries...suspensions...and playing a side that hasnt lost away and has only lost once all season.

Players huffed and puffed but something just not clicking today....players slipping, passes either underhit or mistimed....Embleton, Pringle and Thomas below par for me...Embleton trying to do too much on the ball and constantly checking back and losing any momentum with the ball.

Up until their goal i thought Mansfield were nothing special just hitting long diagonals which we were picking off , we switched off for one moment let them in but Macca's save only delayed the agony as they scored from the resulting corner.  

Valiant effort but just not enough quality where it mattered and very few balls into the box from wide today.  

Pick themselves up and go again.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
AndyGTFC
January 1, 2019, 4:33pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Was always gonna be hard with that defence, they coped well and there wasn’t much in the game considering. They’re just slightly better at this moment in time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
wembley_double98
January 1, 2019, 4:37pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +154
An enjoyable competitive game considering our defence shortfalls/lack of numbers
Great effort from all the players, there is defo a team spirit about the whole squad
Ref was disappointing to say the least
UTM!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity.
The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
fiveallive
January 1, 2019, 4:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
The loss today was expected a draw would of been great, I didn't see much difference today from us and Mansfield which is great from where we start of the season.

Where making strides and can only see improvements in the coming months.

I think the players have been excellent all Christmas, and I hope Whitmore learns from last game because we needed him today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
Teestogreen
January 1, 2019, 5:00pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -155
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from LH
Terrible ref. A lot of guesswork by him and the assistants and they got most of those 50/50 decisions wrong. Timewasting by Mansfield is easily resolved with early yellows but we rarely see that from any ref anyway.

Mansfield were very good and effective at what they did. We were never going to lose by more than a goal today even with a patched together defence (it was funny how Fox who was the only player playing in his preferred position ended up going off after a poor first half!). They did counter well and were all over us in midfield when once they’d managed to nullify Embleton who had a bit of freedom early in the second half. Singing the name of their owner was a bit cringey moment for me though - although probably exactly why he decided to buy a football club in the first place.

Positives for us: Vernam isn’t long term injured. Hopefully we can get Famewo or Collins in some sort of fitness for the weekend. Palace probably won’t let us get away lightly like Mansfield did today. 9 from 12 is an excellent festive period get some bodies in for cover and extend Embleton’s loan and we’ll be fine but I’d only give us a 1% chance of making the play-offs.

Is this a positive? Morons in charge of the 'red cross' - plus - is a 99 % chance of not making the play offs a positive??? Giraffes alert!

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
scott_gtfc_89
January 1, 2019, 5:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Just reading Mansfield’s managers post match and said that maccs was MotM there place and here today,

Also they stayed over last night even for couple of hours trip even after 2 home games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
RoboCod
January 1, 2019, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
A narrow 1-0 defeat, but we're still not far off where we want to be, and looking at the points haul from the last few games helps numb a frustrating but close result. Transfer window is here just in time, a stronger squad will see minimum mid-table at season end which itself is brilliant, anything more a very welcome bonus.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
lukeo
January 1, 2019, 6:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Make shift back 4 did good considering. I really like our central midfield, proper footballers. Although I think we could do with a 'big unit' in their at times. Felt going forward we did quite well but didn't give Thomas enough support really to threaten massively. I like the way we tried to play most the time, especially the central midfielders. Feel like a times hitting the channel 9/10 is a bit predictable and we should try to look a bit more inside for the central midfielders to try drive forward. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
jock dock tower
January 1, 2019, 6:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
We got nine points from a demanding twelve. Had we lost at Exeter, as everyone expected us to, and beaten Mansfield today the cup would have been rather more than half full. That's how far we've come. Well done Town.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2019, 6:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Missed today’s game but from afar, that clearly shows how hard the squad are working. A complete back 4 playing out of position in the second half drawing the half with one of the best teams at our level is pretty commendable.

Above all else, let’s hope that MJ is at least allowed to replace those that have gone if not more. We’re only 9 points off Bury in 4th - there’s an awful lot to play for.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
FishOutOfWater
January 1, 2019, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Just checking back on our recent form and the last ten games show

W 6 D 1 L 3

One of those we lost to a penalty at the death ( Cheltenham ) and the other two defeats.....both were against Mansfield

To me they are a workmanlike side; not particularly skillful but very effective in the what they do and the way they play

You can see why they are on a good run and you can see why they draw a lot

I'm not downbeat about our defeat today but it would have been great if we had been given the "penalty" when Vernam went down.

What the referee saw there only he knows but from where I was in the Pontoon it certainly looked a good shout.

Why would Vernam go to ground when he was in control of the ball having gone past his man

Mansfield might have thought that would have been rough justice and that they deserved the win. Arguably they did but I think the ref made a wrong call where Mitch Rose Pen could have probably have added to his tally

Onwards and upwards...no need to dwell on today, Palace on Saturday is a free hit, so we just need to get back on track against Macc in the league

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 38
FishOutOfWater
January 1, 2019, 6:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Quoted from lukeo
Make shift back 4 did good considering. I really like our central midfield, proper footballers. Although I think we could do with a 'big unit' in their at times. Felt going forward we did quite well but didn't give Thomas enough support really to threaten massively. I like the way we tried to play most the time, especially the central midfielders. Feel like a times hitting the channel 9/10 is a bit predictable and we should try to look a bit more inside for the central midfielders to try drive forward. UTM

We certainly have a lot more energy in midfield now with Hess and Harry in there

It's early days of course but the more they play together and develop an understanding of each other's play, then who's to say we might not have another Cockerill & Cunnington partnership developing

Maybe that's me just dreaming but partnerships take time and these two lads have plenty of that on their side, being only 24 & 20
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 38
mariner91
January 1, 2019, 7:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,650
Gold Stars: 261
I thought Hess was excellent today and, as someone else said, is vastly underrated by many.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2019, 8:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
What I like about our mid field at the moment is that all of them are happy to take responsibility and always want the ball whilst being constantly on the move.

Today as someone posted above our “work in progress” side came up against a finished article that has took 5 years plus to build at relatively high expense.

Today what I liked was that after going behind the players worked hard to play themselves back into the game and if we’d have had just a little bit more composure as well as the bounce if the ball and a ref that was capable of the task we might have just got the point the effort & application deserved.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
Jaws
January 1, 2019, 8:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
No shame losing to them even with a full strength squad and a less hectic schedule. Only Exeter have beat them in the league and they were a hell of a team. Gave Mansfield much more of a game than we did at their place so must be a step in the right direction.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
Mikey_345
January 1, 2019, 8:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
What also impresses me now is that now, as opposed to earlier in the season, if we go behind or concede we are able to stop 1 becoming 2/3 and steady the game before trying to get back into it.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
Marinerz93
January 1, 2019, 10:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I must be one of the few that feels we were robbed a share of the points. The players grafted hard today and it was a clear penalty. We lost to a slightly better side which considering were we where at the start of the season isn't cause for concern.

We do need a couple of players bringing in that have more quality as I don't see the play off's being out of our reach, and definitely some building for next season.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
1mickylyons
January 2, 2019, 7:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Marinerz93
I must be one of the few that feels we were robbed a share of the points. The players grafted hard today and it was a clear penalty. We lost to a slightly better side which considering were we where at the start of the season isn't cause for concern.

We do need a couple of players bringing in that have more quality as I don't see the play off's being out of our reach, and definitely some building for next season.

Looked a penalty from the Pontoon end of the lower but Mansfield looked the better side to me.I`m not to downhearted though 0-1 with a makeshift back four against a good side suggests we will win a lot more than we lose from now.UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
wuffing
January 2, 2019, 7:33am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Marinerz93

Definite penalty. That 'ref' wasn't going to give us anything. The clear push on Wes Thomas in the first half being a prime example of his ineptitude. We just needed a break yesterday, but when you are playing the ref too, then it isn't going to happen.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
Cloudy
January 2, 2019, 8:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Wasn't a nailed on penalty for me. Was their contact? Yes, Enough for a penalty? Open to interpretation IMO.

Like most others not downhearted by the defeat- we have gained a hell of a lot more points in the last couple of months than most of us expected.
Tough run of games coming up- hope we can win one or two which will set us up nicely
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
psgmariner
January 2, 2019, 8:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Looked a dive from the upper findus. Similar to the Exeter one though there seemed to be some very brief contact.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
lukeo
January 2, 2019, 8:42am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from psgmariner
Looked a dive from the upper findus. Similar to the Exeter one though there seemed to be some very brief contact.

This. Could easily have been given but at the same time not have been. I think Vernham was looking for contact, only seen it once live through ifollow and from that viewing felt it would have been very soft, I didn't shout at the screen like I did when Thomas got dragged to the floor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
diehardmariner
January 2, 2019, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Naturally disappointed with the defeat but I think, as most have already pointed out, the circumstances.

Our lads will be knackered just from the travelling they've had to do over the Xmas period, shocking organisation from the Football League.  As much as I hated the Conference and how they just seemed to run it as an old boys club, they at least made sure the holiday fixtures were relatively local.  No two ways about it, we've had a crap roll of the dice here.  If the Conference, which appears to be run from a shed at the bottom of someones garden can sort this, how can the Football League not, with there far superior resources?  Perhaps Mr Harvey would be better served looking at this rather than trying to snuggle up to the Premier League.

The sheer number of injuries, especially at the back, meant this was always going to be a hard one.  Got to be honest, I think Jolley made it harder by not having Pollock in.  I know he's a young lad but he's a centre-back by trade and it's his position.  RHJ and Hendrie did absolutely fine in the circumstances but they're not naturals. Equally so Mitch Rose is not a right-back.  Having a defence that has 3 of the 4 playing out of position is not ideal, far from it.  Added to that in front of Rose it was either Pringle or Cardwell, whichever combination you use someone is either out of position or on their wrong foot.  That all said, it's a case of damned if you - damned if you don't.  Be a very big game for Pollock to come in and make his full debut in, but then again he seemed to do ok against one of the best strikers in the league a few days before.  

I thought Hessenthaler and Clifton were superb all game.  Clifton especially is just getting better and better with each game.  It's not just about his energy now, he's developing the confidence to actually run games.  Quite a few occasions where he showed some great skill and composure to switch the play.  We've potentially got a very special player on our hands here.

The front four, if you like, never really got into it enough for my liking.  Embelton had more of a go in the second half but Mansfield were more than happy to double, treble up on him.  Pringle had one of those games which prove why he's at this level, Cardwell looked lost other than a few decent flick-ons and I think that was the quietest game I've seen from Wes Thomas so far.  

In no way concerned by one defeat when we were really up against it.  Extra week to get injured players back for the next league game and maybe even a few more quality additions.  We definitely need to be looking above us and not below, I can't see any reason why we won't be pushing for the top 7 slots.

Mansfield are a good side, they'll definitely be around the top 3 come the end of the season.  No doubt about that.  But they really don't need the dark arts stuff.  It's pathetic.  How Bishop didn't walk early on I don't know, the referee saw it and even spoke to him without issuing a card.  That absolutely set the tone for the game and Mansfield walked all over the ref after that.  Actually surprised we didn't get a man sent off.  Melis' attempt at getting Rose sent off when no contact was made was shameful, he should be embarrassed by himself.   When we played Mansfield in the FA Youth Cup a few months back it was the same story, gamesmanship from 17-year-olds.  I've nothing against Mansfield as a place or the club itself, but the current set-up and their mentality they've got is something I dislike - I would even dislike it if it's something we had here.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.