4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Jaws
January 1, 2019, 8:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
No shame losing to them even with a full strength squad and a less hectic schedule. Only Exeter have beat them in the league and they were a hell of a team. Gave Mansfield much more of a game than we did at their place so must be a step in the right direction.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
Mikey_345
January 1, 2019, 8:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,381
Gold Stars: 105
What also impresses me now is that now, as opposed to earlier in the season, if we go behind or concede we are able to stop 1 becoming 2/3 and steady the game before trying to get back into it.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
Marinerz93
January 1, 2019, 10:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I must be one of the few that feels we were robbed a share of the points. The players grafted hard today and it was a clear penalty. We lost to a slightly better side which considering were we where at the start of the season isn't cause for concern.

We do need a couple of players bringing in that have more quality as I don't see the play off's being out of our reach, and definitely some building for next season.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
1mickylyons
January 2, 2019, 7:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Marinerz93
I must be one of the few that feels we were robbed a share of the points. The players grafted hard today and it was a clear penalty. We lost to a slightly better side which considering were we where at the start of the season isn't cause for concern.

We do need a couple of players bringing in that have more quality as I don't see the play off's being out of our reach, and definitely some building for next season.

Looked a penalty from the Pontoon end of the lower but Mansfield looked the better side to me.I`m not to downhearted though 0-1 with a makeshift back four against a good side suggests we will win a lot more than we lose from now.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
wuffing
January 2, 2019, 7:33am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Marinerz93

Definite penalty. That 'ref' wasn't going to give us anything. The clear push on Wes Thomas in the first half being a prime example of his ineptitude. We just needed a break yesterday, but when you are playing the ref too, then it isn't going to happen.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
Cloudy
January 2, 2019, 8:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Wasn't a nailed on penalty for me. Was their contact? Yes, Enough for a penalty? Open to interpretation IMO.

Like most others not downhearted by the defeat- we have gained a hell of a lot more points in the last couple of months than most of us expected.
Tough run of games coming up- hope we can win one or two which will set us up nicely
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
psgmariner
January 2, 2019, 8:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Looked a dive from the upper findus. Similar to the Exeter one though there seemed to be some very brief contact.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
lukeo
January 2, 2019, 8:42am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from psgmariner
Looked a dive from the upper findus. Similar to the Exeter one though there seemed to be some very brief contact.

This. Could easily have been given but at the same time not have been. I think Vernham was looking for contact, only seen it once live through ifollow and from that viewing felt it would have been very soft, I didn't shout at the screen like I did when Thomas got dragged to the floor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
diehardmariner
January 2, 2019, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
Naturally disappointed with the defeat but I think, as most have already pointed out, the circumstances.

Our lads will be knackered just from the travelling they've had to do over the Xmas period, shocking organisation from the Football League.  As much as I hated the Conference and how they just seemed to run it as an old boys club, they at least made sure the holiday fixtures were relatively local.  No two ways about it, we've had a crap roll of the dice here.  If the Conference, which appears to be run from a shed at the bottom of someones garden can sort this, how can the Football League not, with there far superior resources?  Perhaps Mr Harvey would be better served looking at this rather than trying to snuggle up to the Premier League.

The sheer number of injuries, especially at the back, meant this was always going to be a hard one.  Got to be honest, I think Jolley made it harder by not having Pollock in.  I know he's a young lad but he's a centre-back by trade and it's his position.  RHJ and Hendrie did absolutely fine in the circumstances but they're not naturals. Equally so Mitch Rose is not a right-back.  Having a defence that has 3 of the 4 playing out of position is not ideal, far from it.  Added to that in front of Rose it was either Pringle or Cardwell, whichever combination you use someone is either out of position or on their wrong foot.  That all said, it's a case of damned if you - damned if you don't.  Be a very big game for Pollock to come in and make his full debut in, but then again he seemed to do ok against one of the best strikers in the league a few days before.  

I thought Hessenthaler and Clifton were superb all game.  Clifton especially is just getting better and better with each game.  It's not just about his energy now, he's developing the confidence to actually run games.  Quite a few occasions where he showed some great skill and composure to switch the play.  We've potentially got a very special player on our hands here.

The front four, if you like, never really got into it enough for my liking.  Embelton had more of a go in the second half but Mansfield were more than happy to double, treble up on him.  Pringle had one of those games which prove why he's at this level, Cardwell looked lost other than a few decent flick-ons and I think that was the quietest game I've seen from Wes Thomas so far.  

In no way concerned by one defeat when we were really up against it.  Extra week to get injured players back for the next league game and maybe even a few more quality additions.  We definitely need to be looking above us and not below, I can't see any reason why we won't be pushing for the top 7 slots.

Mansfield are a good side, they'll definitely be around the top 3 come the end of the season.  No doubt about that.  But they really don't need the dark arts stuff.  It's pathetic.  How Bishop didn't walk early on I don't know, the referee saw it and even spoke to him without issuing a card.  That absolutely set the tone for the game and Mansfield walked all over the ref after that.  Actually surprised we didn't get a man sent off.  Melis' attempt at getting Rose sent off when no contact was made was shameful, he should be embarrassed by himself.   When we played Mansfield in the FA Youth Cup a few months back it was the same story, gamesmanship from 17-year-olds.  I've nothing against Mansfield as a place or the club itself, but the current set-up and their mentality they've got is something I dislike - I would even dislike it if it's something we had here.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.