Teestogreen
January 1, 2019, 5:00pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from LH
Terrible ref. A lot of guesswork by him and the assistants and they got most of those 50/50 decisions wrong. Timewasting by Mansfield is easily resolved with early yellows but we rarely see that from any ref anyway.

Mansfield were very good and effective at what they did. We were never going to lose by more than a goal today even with a patched together defence (it was funny how Fox who was the only player playing in his preferred position ended up going off after a poor first half!). They did counter well and were all over us in midfield when once they’d managed to nullify Embleton who had a bit of freedom early in the second half. Singing the name of their owner was a bit cringey moment for me though - although probably exactly why he decided to buy a football club in the first place.

Positives for us: Vernam isn’t long term injured. Hopefully we can get Famewo or Collins in some sort of fitness for the weekend. Palace probably won’t let us get away lightly like Mansfield did today. 9 from 12 is an excellent festive period get some bodies in for cover and extend Embleton’s loan and we’ll be fine but I’d only give us a 1% chance of making the play-offs.

Is this a positive? Morons in charge of the 'red cross' - plus - is a 99 % chance of not making the play offs a positive??? Giraffes alert!

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
scott_gtfc_89
January 1, 2019, 5:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Just reading Mansfield’s managers post match and said that maccs was MotM there place and here today,

Also they stayed over last night even for couple of hours trip even after 2 home games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
RoboCod
January 1, 2019, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
A narrow 1-0 defeat, but we're still not far off where we want to be, and looking at the points haul from the last few games helps numb a frustrating but close result. Transfer window is here just in time, a stronger squad will see minimum mid-table at season end which itself is brilliant, anything more a very welcome bonus.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
lukeo
January 1, 2019, 6:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Make shift back 4 did good considering. I really like our central midfield, proper footballers. Although I think we could do with a 'big unit' in their at times. Felt going forward we did quite well but didn't give Thomas enough support really to threaten massively. I like the way we tried to play most the time, especially the central midfielders. Feel like a times hitting the channel 9/10 is a bit predictable and we should try to look a bit more inside for the central midfielders to try drive forward. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
jock dock tower
January 1, 2019, 6:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
We got nine points from a demanding twelve. Had we lost at Exeter, as everyone expected us to, and beaten Mansfield today the cup would have been rather more than half full. That's how far we've come. Well done Town.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2019, 6:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Missed today’s game but from afar, that clearly shows how hard the squad are working. A complete back 4 playing out of position in the second half drawing the half with one of the best teams at our level is pretty commendable.

Above all else, let’s hope that MJ is at least allowed to replace those that have gone if not more. We’re only 9 points off Bury in 4th - there’s an awful lot to play for.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
FishOutOfWater
January 1, 2019, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Just checking back on our recent form and the last ten games show

W 6 D 1 L 3

One of those we lost to a penalty at the death ( Cheltenham ) and the other two defeats.....both were against Mansfield

To me they are a workmanlike side; not particularly skillful but very effective in the what they do and the way they play

You can see why they are on a good run and you can see why they draw a lot

I'm not downbeat about our defeat today but it would have been great if we had been given the "penalty" when Vernam went down.

What the referee saw there only he knows but from where I was in the Pontoon it certainly looked a good shout.

Why would Vernam go to ground when he was in control of the ball having gone past his man

Mansfield might have thought that would have been rough justice and that they deserved the win. Arguably they did but I think the ref made a wrong call where Mitch Rose Pen could have probably have added to his tally

Onwards and upwards...no need to dwell on today, Palace on Saturday is a free hit, so we just need to get back on track against Macc in the league

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 38
FishOutOfWater
January 1, 2019, 6:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from lukeo
Make shift back 4 did good considering. I really like our central midfield, proper footballers. Although I think we could do with a 'big unit' in their at times. Felt going forward we did quite well but didn't give Thomas enough support really to threaten massively. I like the way we tried to play most the time, especially the central midfielders. Feel like a times hitting the channel 9/10 is a bit predictable and we should try to look a bit more inside for the central midfielders to try drive forward. UTM

We certainly have a lot more energy in midfield now with Hess and Harry in there

It's early days of course but the more they play together and develop an understanding of each other's play, then who's to say we might not have another Cockerill & Cunnington partnership developing

Maybe that's me just dreaming but partnerships take time and these two lads have plenty of that on their side, being only 24 & 20
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 38
mariner91
January 1, 2019, 7:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,650
Gold Stars: 261
I thought Hess was excellent today and, as someone else said, is vastly underrated by many.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2019, 8:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
What I like about our mid field at the moment is that all of them are happy to take responsibility and always want the ball whilst being constantly on the move.

Today as someone posted above our “work in progress” side came up against a finished article that has took 5 years plus to build at relatively high expense.

Today what I liked was that after going behind the players worked hard to play themselves back into the game and if we’d have had just a little bit more composure as well as the bounce if the ball and a ref that was capable of the task we might have just got the point the effort & application deserved.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.