mariner91
May 3, 2024, 10:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,809
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from forza ivano
one thing that surprised me was Andrew saying how few clubs at our level use data.
That reminded me that when we got 21st group on board JS  said only Plymouth (who were subsequently promoted) and us were their only clients in the lower leagues. So if it is used well, we should have a big advantage over everyone else

More and more evidence is pointing to the disaster of last season being down to Hurst's stubbornness and refusal to actually utilise the things put in place to help. There's no chance any data would have identified Rekeil Pyke as an undervalued superstar centre forward and you only need to watch him for 90 minutes in that position to know that he isn't very good there. Yet here we are, still stuck with him for another season unless someone is willing to take him off us.

For all the good Hurst has done in his second stint, he made a complete pig's ear of recruitment last summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
RichMariner
May 3, 2024, 10:34am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,171
Gold Stars: 212
All clubs use data, it just depends to what degree. Obviously, we're using a system and a network that others aren't, but that isn't to say no one else is looking at data in some form.

I think JS cleared up the data point, too — he said exactly what I'd been thinking, in that data only takes you so far. There are so many variables in football that data can never be the answer. But it can be the head start in identifying and creating value.

You could be the most talented manager in the world — academically, strategically — but if you're a terrible communicator then 90% of your talent (and the data) is wasted.

My question mark over Artell was just that. Clearly he's a bright man, intelligent, applies thinking from other sports, etc. I did wonder whether he was able to communicate his ideas to our players when we were getting spanked at home.

Think we've seen he's also humble and prepared to learn and adapt when things don't work, which is crucial. You don't get that from many managers in the game and maybe that's why JS was at pains to talk about it.

Think some of the comments about Hurst's style have been over simplified to a degree. We went to Wrexham and scored five, so I don't think he was as defensive or as negative as people think.

Particularly in his first spell, when we were in the NL and the onus was on us to win every game, we tended to do just that, and score plenty of goals along the way through the likes of Elding, Hearn, LJL, Bogle, Amond. We've had some prolific strikers here during his tenure, and McAtee wasn't half bad either. He also signed Rose.

Don't disagree that his tactics were often to contain and then counter. There was a lot more of that last season and the start of this. His time was up, no argument on that. Just suggest there's a bit of balance when we talk about him.

People love facts and data, and he delivered two promotions from the hardest league to get out of. Given our promotion record over the last 40 years, that ain't bad for a so-called 'negative, defensive' manager!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
A Brace Of Tees
May 3, 2024, 12:18pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
Yes it would be a mistake to over-simplify our assessment of Hurst. Yes he had his faults (stubbornness being one) and there's no doubt he'd run his course.

But there have indeed been games where we've ripped teams apart - Chesterfield away in that same promotion season being another example, where we spanked 4 superb goals past them before they hardly knew what the fukk was happening! Altincham away where Phil Parkinson couldn't believe how good we were.

I'm hoping Artell has learnt from his tactical errors and has a practical strategy going forward - without once again jeopardising our EFL status. With investors on board alongside Stockwood and Pettit, and a fair wind, we could be in for a real upturn next season. Here's hoping.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
Mariner8
May 13, 2024, 8:50pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -61
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Regarding the investors, I got the impression at least two had “local” links. Any ideas who that could be?

Apparently a local guy who owns an IT company, does a lot of business in China. Supposedly is putting a lot of money in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
Mikey_345
May 14, 2024, 10:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,617
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mariner8

Apparently a local guy who owns an IT company, does a lot of business in China. Supposedly is putting a lot of money in.

Interesting, hopefully hear something soon - would be a huge positive to get more people involved. Not just from a money point of view, as Andrew and Jason have ploughed a lot in already, but just in terms of experience and someone else to maybe shoulder some responsibility with them. He definitely gave the indication it was more than one.

I suppose we're in the position now where we will be able to find out what Andrews understanding of the word 'soon' is...

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › DN35 podcast at 6pm

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.