The Fishy - Grimsby Town FC

League Two Table

1Newport County9922
2Cambridge Utd91620
3Forest Green9618

7Port Vale9316

8Harrogate Town9515
9Crawley Town9514
13Leyton Orient9012


Full League Two Table

Follow the Fishy on Twitter
NewsNow logo

Question of the Week

Should League Two clubs take money from the Premier League?


Proudlock: MOM
Proudlock: MOM

Same Old Outcome

By: Matty Newton
Date: 10/11/2008

THE Mariners travelled to Morecambe for the second time this season, this time in the first round of the FA cup.

Home > 2008-2009 Season > Reports > Morecambe (a)

New loan singing Proudlock was given his first start for Town whilst Hunt came in for cup-tied Trotter. There were also recalls for Jarman and Llewellyn and 18-year-old Ryan Bennett was made captain due to Matt Heywood's injury.

Morecambe were without several first team players as their fringe and youth team players looked to stake a claim for a regular first team place.

The first half was one that will not live long in the memory with no real chances being created. There were half chances for Jarman whilst Henry McStay headed wide for Morecambe.

Morecambe were on top and had further half chances from Taylor and Drummond but were unable to break the deadlock, until the very end of the half. The referee David Webb, coincidently from Lancashire, gave the Shrimpers a dubious free-kick, from which TAYLOR was allowed time and space to head home past Barnes. It was a hard one to take for the travelling fans just before half time, but we hoped Mr Newell could give them a kick up the backside and turn it around in the second half.

Proudlock was the first to test the keeper just after the restart, hitting a half-volley from 30 yards that dipped just over the bar as Town looked to find the equaliser.

The Morecambe keeper then almost scored with a huge goalkick that almost looped over the disappointing Barnes, but he did enough to keep it out.

The next notable chance came from Kalala who smashed a low drilled shot which whistled past the post. Then another long kick from Roche almost caught Barnes out again but he came out to the edge of his area and headed the ball away.

The ever improving Proudlock then rattled the crossbar after good work on the edge of the area but it wasn't going to be the Mariners' day.

Barnes's day went from bad to worse on the 77th minute when his brain seemed to leave him and saw the Town 'keeper charge out of his area to clear the ball, only for him to miskick it and allow O'Carroll to cross for TAYLOR'S second.

That goal seemed to spark the Mariners into life at long last as they came on the offensive with nothing to lose and shots from North, Bore and Jarman were cleared in quick succession.

STOCKDALE did grab a consolation with a simple tap in after the ball dropped to him inside the 6 yard box. It was too little too late for the Mariners though but we could have snatched a draw right at the death, with chances from Newey, North and Proudlock but Town had to deal with the heartache of an early round exit once again.

Now attentions turn back to the league on Saturday and on to Gigg Lane to play Bury. I can't see where our next win is going to come but really hope it is soon, now we have only the league to concentrate on.

Onwards and Upwards

Match Ratings

Add To Facebook

This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!

Related Stories

Forum Latest
Thread TitlePostsLatest Post
Tony Gale7A.l.f.30/10 19:04
Prediction Thread v Stevenage (A)10cmackenzie430/10 19:00
Any ideas?  "Merged"15kamakazebear30/10 18:25
Nobby Stiles1376,96230/10 18:16
Fundraising update25jaygy30/10 17:09
Can't listen to Ollie.73TAGG30/10 15:46
James "Jimmy" Thompson11Lincoln Mariner 5630/10 15:42
Gloating31Marinerz9330/10 15:35
VERY STRANGE ?9arryarryarry30/10 15:07