The Grimsby Town FC


Player Minutes

Nathan Clarke2,000
James McKeown1,980
Danny Collins1,948
Siriki Dembele1,812
Paul Dixon1,652
Ben Davies1,631
James Berrett1,620
Luke Summerfield1,522
Sam Jones1,502
Mitch Rose1,215
Martyn Woolford1,167

Full Stats
Latest Scores

Question of the Week

Priority for transfer window?

Reduce squad size
Strengthen defence
Strengthen midfield
Strengthen attack
No change needed

Coulson: Brace
Coulson: Brace

Coulson the Hero for Ten Man Town

By: Rob Sedgwick
Date: 06/03/2011

GRIMSBY came from behind to topple leaders AFC Wimbledon at Blundell Park in the first game after former manager Neil Woods was sacked. The Mariners did it the hard way - they went a goal down, and had to play the last 20 minutes with 10 men after Hudson was sent off for kicking out at a Dons player.

Caretaker boss Dave Moore had promised not to change much but he made four changes. Steve Croudson started in goal, defenders Bore and Atkinson - who had been dropped by Woods - started, and Leary came in in midfield in place of Dean Sinclair. Town started the game playing 4-4-2, with Duffy and Connell up front.

Town almost got off to the perfect start when Kempson headed the ball goalwards from an early corner, but it was blocked on the line by his own player, Alan Connell, who tried and failed to turn it in.

Town had another good chance when Connell played through Eagle for a one-on-one with the 'keeper. The town winger though took the ball too wide and gave himself too narrow an angle to shoot from, and the eventual shot was blocked.

The Dons took the lead on 23 minutes. Yussuff was allowed to run through Town's defence and he calmly poked the ball past Steve Croudson.

Buoyed by their opener Wimbledon started to take control of the game, but it was Town who levelled the match against the run of play. In a rare town attack Duffy set up Croudson, who kept his composure and slotted the ball past Brown from the edge of the area.

Connell then wasted a good chance to give the Mariners the lead, ms-controlling the ball in the six yard box after good work by Hudson.

Early in the second half Town surprisingly took the lead. Coulson received the ball on the edge of the box and calmly placed it past Brown.

Town gained confidence from the second goal, and started to pass the ball around the park, creating some promising attacks.

Just when things were looking promising though, the match turned again on 72. Mark Hudson retaliated after a challenge by a Wimbledon player and kicked out at his opponent. The referee gave the Town midfielder a straight red card, which will mean another three match ban for a central midfielder.

Town had to withstand a lot of late pressure from Wimbledon but held on to record a much needed three points in their bid to keep their faint play-off hopes alive.

Tuesday's game has been postponed due the ubiquitous FA Trophy so the next chance for the Mariners in next weekend away at mid-table Kettering.

Add To Facebook

This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!

Related Stories

Forum Latest
TitlePostsLatest Post
Just Back65ginnywings11/12 09:25
Twat of the Week8ginnywings11/12 09:21
Ifs and buts4BP Vicar11/12 09:19
Mitch Rose151mickylyons11/12 09:10
FGR boss' reaction12Jarmo.Is.God11/12 08:33
Word Association Game44,057fishyfanny11/12 07:50
Change/add-a-letter/remove-one Word Game thread...30,311fishyfanny11/12 07:49
Upcoming Fixtures1SiteBot11/12 03:12
Time Wasting 13UpTheMariners11/12 00:18
Heroes of the week1LH11/12 00:14

News  | Features  | Submit Article  |   | 
© 2017