The Fishy - Grimsby Town FC

League Two Table

1Cambridge Utd241541
2Newport County221040

4Forest Green23838
7Leyton Orient23836

9Crawley Town22634
15Port Vale24-129
18Harrogate Town22-426


Full League Two Table

Follow the Fishy on Twitter
NewsNow logo

Question of the Week

Will Grimsby be relegated?


LJL: Winner
LJL: Winner

John Lewis Opens Account

By: Rob Sedgwick
Date: 17/04/2013

LENNEL John Lewis scored his first goal, which proved to be the winner, in a game of many chances against Woking. The home side had the majority of efforts on goal and Grimsby had to withstand a late siege when they were forced to go down to 10 men after John Lewis was forced off injured.

Town made seven changes from that which drew at Luton, with rare starts for Greg Fleming in goal and another stint for Simon Ford again in the back four.

Billy Knott should have scored for Woking in the opening minute but hit his chance wide, then Fleming saved Knott's effort in the 17th minute, although it took Town's keeper two attempts to secure the ball.

Grimsby's first effort on goal came in the 25th minute. Good work by Marshall on the right led to a cross to Thanoj, whose shot was well saved by Howe. John-Lewis then produced a great save from Howe with a well struck volley.

Simon Ford limped off to be replaced by Miller, but Town shaded the latter part of the first half.

After the break Woking were unlucky not to go ahead on the hour mark when Knott hit the post from close range, the second time he should have scored.

After a quiet spell in the game, the match came to life when Town took the lead with 15 minutes to go. The substitute Southwell found Devitt on the right who got to the byline and crossed -evading Howe - to John-Lewis on the far post who nodded it in.

Woking were to dominate most of the remaining 20 minutes of play. Fleming made a fine save to deny a header from Stockley, then a Parkinson goal was disallowed for offside.

Southwell was put through for Town with a chance to win the game for the Mariners, but overhit the ball and allowed Howe to dispossess him before the young Grimbarian could strike.

The last few minutes were incessant Working pressure. The home side won several corners, had shots cleared off the line, and Grimsby finally ended down to ten men when John-Lewis was forced off injured.

Town hung on, with the fourth official at one stage signaling 40 minutes injury time (which was later corrected to four). A draw would have probably been a fairer result, but the Mariners will take the win as it gives them a chance to finish above Wrexham if they can better the Red Dragons' result on Saturday when Town face Newport and Wrexham take on Mansfield. Strangely the fixture list has paired the four possible play-off contestants in the final game of the season.

Add To Facebook

This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!

Related Stories

Forum Latest
Thread TitlePostsLatest Post
Jay Matete61Mayaman22/01 00:20
Team for Saturday15DB21/01 23:29
Giles Coke training with Grimsby Town54Croxton21/01 23:05
Flitwick Mariner?32KingstonMariner21/01 23:00
Best Chairman27Sammo21/01 22:29
New training facility and it’s location 45KingstonMariner21/01 22:14
Sea shanties15KingstonMariner21/01 22:09
National League at risk101Gaffer5821/01 22:05
Billy Chadwick89always grimsby21/01 17:38
Beat The Clock......  v Scunthorpe30DB21/01 16:42