TAGG
August 30, 2015, 8:42am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from barralad

I think it is a luxury Hurst cannot afford. Personally I'd rather what money we have is spent on providing competition at the other end of the pitch. It's not like you would regularly make a substitution of a goalkeeper during a match. Town like most other teams assess the risks of not even having a keeper on the bench and find it worth doing. It's a lot of money to spend to keep one of your keepers in the reserves. I suspect that particularly with the keeper role managers make a judgement call pre-season of all or nothing. Hurst has obviously decided McKeown is up to the task and apart from the odd error it is difficult to disagree. He was very good yesterday IMO.

Glad he had a good game yesterday because we all know he's got it in him but think every one on here agrees that he's not been up to his usual standards back end of last season/start of this one.
Hurst can find money to bring in a not very good midfielder so why not bring in a Keeper in for a month or two. This may focus McKewans mind a bit.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 105
RoboCod
August 30, 2015, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Having slept on it I'm of the opinion that...I don't know what to think. We almost need a new set of footballing terminology for this club, a new way of addressing our problems that are so different to those problems of other normal clubs.
We'e shot ourselves in the foot so many times before the season was even a quarter of the way through we've surely got no feet left.
Yesterday, taken as a one-off game would have been a decent point if we'd not committed so many stupid-Grimsby things already. Despite constant reminders that we were only 1/2/3 or games in, things would settle etc I wasn't impressed with the seasons start at all. TWO injury time goals in the first two games, silly, stupid tiny errors to gift the opposition goals when they'd barely troubled us...to me we'd already shown our weaknesses to the rest of the division 2 games in.

As a one-off game yesterday I think we take much much more from the game than our rivals. Lots of disquiet here in Lincoln from those who think about the game a little, the Hearn problem gathering pace and the fact that Rhead is the biggest pile of cheating human tissue and bones in the country. Anyone want Rhead on the back of their shirt?

Meanwhile we take the positives, 10 men were better than their 11, better support etc...then to the problems of scoring. Can't see how Hurst can take any blame for yesterday. Would have been Toto and Shaun for me but that's splitting hairs.
We had a family outing later in the afternoon so didn't go, but I even debated even listening to the commentary, so miserable am I listening to the same old tune every week. Tuned in after 5 minutes or so, just as Town had the ball pinging around in their box. Head in hands, I didn't even get excited and waited for it...'and the ball inches over the bar..' yep here we go.
Then the dreaded words 'Town should be winning this by at least two..'...my head sinks further into my hands as that is the signal for a stupid-Grimsby thing to happen in the net 20-30 minutes. What could it be this time??
We've done the overhit back pass, the cross to the far post/unmarked man has been a little overdone, no debutants to stick the ball in their own net...so step forward Josh G.

Rambling here a little but my point...it struck me that had a fan of another team, almost any other team, been in the room with me my behaviour would have looked odd. Ball in their box, mounting pressure, that's a good sign? Should be 2 up, dominating play, you'll go on to win this comfortably, they'd say.

NO. This is Grimsby and they do stupid things and score what seems to be 1 in every 10 chances.
As a one-off game, good result, as one in a sequence of games, more dropped points.
And apart from the one moment of stupidity we can't even lay into any of the players and demand they be dropped/replaced or call for 3 up front/4 in the middle or any normal footballing things.

Sadly, I have no answer to any of this, we just do stupid things just once or twice in a game, miss too many chances, and when these things aren't happening we're being a touch unlucky.

I honestly feel like I've aged a few years because of this bunch.
Enjoy your GTFC-free Sundays everyone.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 105
Ipswin
August 30, 2015, 9:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from TAGG

Glad he had a good game yesterday because we all know he's got it in him but think every one on here agrees that he's not been up to his usual standards back end of last season/start of this one.
Hurst can find money to bring in a not very good midfielder so why not bring in a Keeper in for a month or two. This may focus McKewans mind a bit.

Thing is what keeper worth his salt and good enough to challenge Mac would want to come to a mid table Conference (or whatever grandiose title they have given it to try to make people like us feel better) club?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 105
friskneymariner
August 30, 2015, 10:03am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
We need a leader on the pitch,that is what we are lacking and have been lacking for years.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 105
mariner91
August 30, 2015, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from friskneymariner
We need a leader on the pitch,that is what we are lacking and have been lacking for years.

Take it you didn't see Disley yesterday then? The epitome of a captain's performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 105
rancido
August 30, 2015, 10:39am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 130[b
]Rhead is a known wind up merchant (ie cheat), [/b]but without seeing it I don't know whether to be angry at Gowling for reacting or Rhead for going down like he'd been shot! I can't say for sure that he was overreacting, but Lincoln players congratulating him after the card came out suggests so. That incident aside, we were comfortably the better team and should still have won, 10 men or not. Disley was fantastic in the middle and Bogle's goal was the finish of a man who once a bit more polished, will play higher.

But my man (or child) of the day goes to the 7 stone Lincoln fan who got really angry at something or other, just after someone else had been kicked out. It was fucking hilarious. If only there was a vine of it!

I recall Rhead playing for Mansfield at BP the last time we met. He came on as a second half sub and the first thing he did when he walked onto the pitch was to elbow Pearson in the ribs on the blindside of the ref and linno. This was before play had even resumed and was obviously an attempt to wind up and intimidate Sean. Rhead is an animal with limited ability but he has a function in battering opposing centre backs and being a target man. I'm pleased PH has a different approach to our game and I would hate to have to rely on playing the likes of Rhead in our team and adopting those tactics.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 105
dapperz fun pub
August 30, 2015, 12:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,022
Gold Stars: 83
I bet rhead is Damon's best customer the fat cuunt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 105
grimsby pete
August 30, 2015, 12:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,823
Gold Stars: 222
Just seen the highlights and we outplayed them with only 10 men,

We have got a team that never gives up,

We will get the results and shut the moaners up very soon,

Can't wait to see us beat Boreham Wood next week,

I wish I could get to more home games but that is not possible.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 105
Theimperialcoroner
August 30, 2015, 1:21pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,246
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just seen the highlights and we outplayed them with only 10 men,

We have got a team that never gives up,

We will get the results and shut the moaners up very soon,

Can't wait to see us beat Boreham Wood next week,

I wish I could get to more home games but that is not possible.

Do the highlights show what went on before Gowling grabbed fatty?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 105
Hagrid
August 30, 2015, 1:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,486
Gold Stars: 536
No they dont, they follow the ball
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 105
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.