MuddyWaters
October 4, 2015, 8:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
If people thought that 110 grand was going to guarantee us automatic promotion, then they would have been better off keeping their money in their pocket. Being unfairly used as a stick to beat the club with IMO. I'm as disappointed as the next man at where we are but c'mon chaps, it's a years wages for a couple of decent players.

Maybe not Ginny, but out of respect for those who put so much time and effort into the fundraising, I think it would only be right to keep fans updated, rather than it just be swallowed up in the clubs budget.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 115
Rodley Mariner
October 4, 2015, 8:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
I remember widespread agreement on here that people didn't want to know in case it put undue pressure on who it was used for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 115
HertsGTFC
October 4, 2015, 8:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
If people thought that 110 grand was going to guarantee us automatic promotion, then they would have been better off keeping their money in their pocket. Being unfairly used as a stick to beat the club with IMO. I'm as disappointed as the next man at where we are but c'mon chaps, it's a years wages for a couple of decent players.

Good post and looking at what the club has to play with it could well be that it was just absorbed into the budget for the existing squad and possibly a bit to bring in decent loans around the next window if we are in contention.  

I would imagine that at are level the senior pro's are possibly on between 30 - 40K max with a bonus structure and a bit extra if you captain the side etc.... A fair bot behind the Parkin's of this world.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 115
barralad
October 4, 2015, 8:54pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Maybe not Ginny, but out of respect for those who put so much time and effort into the fundraising, I think it would only be right to keep fans updated, rather than it just be swallowed up in the clubs budget.

For the sake of clarity could you expand on who you mean by "those who put so much time and effort into the fundraising".
Thanks in advance

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 115
Rodley Mariner
October 4, 2015, 8:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from barralad

For the sake of clarity could you expand on who you mean by "those who put so much time and effort into the fundraising".
Thanks in advance

Not you  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 115
barralad
October 4, 2015, 8:59pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Not you  

**Like**

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 115
friskneymariner
October 4, 2015, 9:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Is there anything left uncommitted.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 115
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2015, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Thanks in advance

Those of you who worked damned hard to deliver the whole campaign, raising, money, raising the profile of the club and delivering the auction items.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 115
barralad
October 4, 2015, 10:22pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Those of you who worked damned hard to deliver the whole campaign, raising, money, raising the profile of the club and delivering the auction items.

Thanks for that. It was a genuine question. I didn't want my reply to be off the mark as it were. When the Trust Board decided to go with Operation Promotion it was always on the understanding with the fans and the club that any monies raised would specifically be used to boost the transfer funds available to Paul Hurst for the season 2015/16. In other words the club were left in no doubt that the money had to be used for the recruitment/retention of playing staff for this season-something that the club were happy to agree to. That was specified throughout the actual campaign to make it very clear what people were donating to. We also decided for the reason quoted by Rodley earlier in the thread that "Boost the Budget" shouldn't become "Recruit a Specific Player". In addition it was recognised that at our level large transfer fees are by and large a thing of the past if indeed they ever really existed. There were a lot of players out of contract at the end of last season who the club and fans alike wanted to see retained. Contrary to what some might think being on the Board of the Trust doesn't make me or other Board members privy to the financial dealings of GTFC. We have had to trust (no pun intended) that the money has been spent in those areas-something I have no problem in doing. It isn't difficult to see that you could apportion a fair amount of that money to the renewal of certain contracts as well as the recruitment of new players-some of whom had dropped a level to play for us. For those amongst us who can make head or tail of financial documents I suspect the only definitive answer will lie in the end of year accounts for the year which includes the Operation Promotion.
I've never made any secret of the fact that I joined the Board of the Mariner's Trust because I wanted to do my bit towards trying to ensure that in the future the fortunes (financial) of GTFC were not dependent on the generosity of an individual benefactor. Operation Promotion showed me and my colleagues that there is a love and affection for GTFC in the country at large that transcends any daft arguments that we have on this message board. The fans who gave freely of their money-some as I can testify from working for a while with the pledge sheets more than perhaps they should , my colleagues who worked incredibly hard during the exercise and have continued since and the people who gave freely of their time to promote things can be extremely proud of what has been achieved. I feel that looking at some of the players we have managed to attract that in a small way I've done something to ensure that they can turn out in the black and white stripes. I suspect I won't be the only one.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 115
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2015, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Thanks for that. It was a genuine question. I didn't want my reply to be off the mark as it were. When the Trust Board decided to go with Operation Promotion it was always on the understanding with the fans and the club that any monies raised would specifically be used to boost the transfer funds available to Paul Hurst for the season 2015/16. In other words the club were left in no doubt that the money had to be used for the recruitment/retention of playing staff for this season-something that the club were happy to agree to. That was specified throughout the actual campaign to make it very clear what people were donating to. We also decided for the reason quoted by Rodley earlier in the thread that "Boost the Budget" shouldn't become "Recruit a Specific Player". In addition it was recognised that at our level large transfer fees are by and large a thing of the past if indeed they ever really existed. There were a lot of players out of contract at the end of last season who the club and fans alike wanted to see retained. Contrary to what some might think being on the Board of the Trust doesn't make me or other Board members privy to the financial dealings of GTFC. We have had to trust (no pun intended) that the money has been spent in those areas-something I have no problem in doing. It isn't difficult to see that you could apportion a fair amount of that money to the renewal of certain contracts as well as the recruitment of new players-some of whom had dropped a level to play for us. For those amongst us who can make head or tail of financial documents I suspect the only definitive answer will lie in the end of year accounts for the year which includes the Operation Promotion.
I've never made any secret of the fact that I joined the Board of the Mariner's Trust because I wanted to do my bit towards trying to ensure that in the future the fortunes (financial) of GTFC were not dependent on the generosity of an individual benefactor. Operation Promotion showed me and my colleagues that there is a love and affection for GTFC in the country at large that transcends any daft arguments that we have on this message board. The fans who gave freely of their money-some as I can testify from working for a while with the pledge sheets more than perhaps they should , my colleagues who worked incredibly hard during the exercise and have continued since and the people who gave freely of their time to promote things can be extremely proud of what has been achieved. I feel that looking at some of the players we have managed to attract that in a small way I've done something to ensure that they can turn out in the black and white stripes. I suspect I won't be the only one.

So having cleared all that up, can you and your colleagues ask the powers that be to pick the players that might deliver the prime objective!
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One hundred and ten large

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.