MuddyWaters
October 5, 2015, 4:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad
Shame the thread gets turned into another anti Hurst thread.

No intent to do so on my part - just tried to point out that money helps but is no guarantee.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 115
Hagrid
October 5, 2015, 5:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Hurst is the man to take us up. my opinion will never change on this
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 115
Rodley Mariner
October 5, 2015, 5:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,255
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from MuddyWaters

No intent to do so on my part - just tried to point out that money helps but is no guarantee.

Pretentious? Moi?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 115
Maringer
October 5, 2015, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,641
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Yet we are still tenth.

And if we had one more point, we'd be in 7th and two more points we'd be in 5th. It's very close at the moment - probably the closest we've seen the top half of the table since we were relegated to this level. We'll have a better idea of where things stand in this division at the turn of the year.

When you think how many points daft defensive blunders have cost us already, you can see why our improved defensive record in the past few games has been so important.

A bit better at the back over the past couple of weeks but just need to get the balance right and stick one or two in at the other end as well now. Hopefully, the return of Arnold and Marshall will help pep up our attacking options at bit more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 115
ackomariner
October 5, 2015, 5:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from mariner91

We probably could have closed the gap more but our fixtures have been quite difficult, it's not been terrible and seven points is a lot better than it was. I also don't think (hope) that we'll see at least one of Bogle and Amond played from now on but I guess we'll see. I still think we'll be there or thereabouts this season but equally I still think we're lacking a dominating, mobile midfielder.

Agree with the midfielder  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 115
ackomariner
October 5, 2015, 5:43pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Maringer

And if we had one more point, we'd be in 7th and two more points we'd be in 5th. It's very close at the moment - probably the closest we've seen the top half of the table since we were relegated to this level. We'll have a better idea of where things stand in this division at the turn of the year.

When you think how many points daft defensive blunders have cost us already, you can see why our improved defensive record in the past few games has been so important.

A bit better at the back over the past couple of weeks but just need to get the balance right and stick one or two in at the other end as well now. Hopefully, the return of Arnold and Marshall will help pep up our attacking options at bit more.

With ph hell bent with clean sheets are the attacking intentions going to suffer though. I've noticed the last few games just how deep the midfield are sitting and are miles away from the forwards, hence the full backs now hitting the channels in the hope of a willing runner

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 115
barralad
October 5, 2015, 6:01pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from ackomariner

With ph hell bent with clean sheets are the attacking intentions going to suffer though. I've noticed the last few games just how deep the midfield are sitting and are miles away from the forwards, hence the full backs now hitting the channels in the hope of a willing runner

This isn't aimed at you because to be honest I've no real idea where you stand on the issue but earlier in the season despite scoring goals for fun there were a group of posters on here who obsessed about the lack of a "clean sheet". There were even whole threads dedicated to the subject. Now it looks like Hurst is looking more critically at the way the team is set up defensively people are still not happy. I'd prefer to see 4-1 wins at home rather than scrambled 1-0s or draws because I see that home fans deserve to see their team attacking but I can also see the virtue in playing it tight and being very difficult to beat. It isn't and never has been a "one fits all" way to achieve the desired aim of promotion and I will never understand why some cannot see that.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 115
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 5, 2015, 6:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer

And if we had one more point, we'd be in 7th and two more points we'd be in 5th.

If my aunt had spherical objects she'd be my uncle.

We are where we are. People keep saying that when others complain about us being a conference side so now let's admit we are where we are. Tenth place, playing like a mid-table side, happy to put 4 past a defence with more holes than a colander, happy to take one point off the leaders who were more than happy to deny us two.

The OP wanted to know about the money, I want to know about the effect of that money and the support of the fans pre-season on team performance now. So far it seems there has been precious little evidence it has made one iota of difference.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 115
Maringer
October 5, 2015, 6:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,641
Gold Stars: 188
We've got more than two thirds of the season remaining! We've played well in fits and starts this season and poorly in fits and starts yet we're only 2 points behind a play-off place, 7 points off top place and we've got another 96 points to play for!

From the way some were speaking on here, you would think that we were doomed with absolutely no chance of promotion this season. Utter nonsense, of course.

I think the squad we have this season quite capable of putting together a really good run of form (more capable that the one we had last year which managed it). Just waiting for it to begin now.

Hopefully, I'm right.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 115
grimsby pete
October 5, 2015, 6:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
You would think that the ones that are not happy with our position want Town to fail,

Well surprise surprise we don't,

We want Town to win just as much if not more than the happy clappers,

If Town win tomorrow and at Braintree I would be over the moon,

Even if it means Hurst keeps his job a while longer,

I do not want Hurst sacked I would rather he got us promoted.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One hundred and ten large

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.