Mendonca1995
February 13, 2016, 6:53pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Monkhouse got left on the pitch instead of Arnold wtf was all that about take off the most creative quickest and brightest player at the club and leave on the slowest weakest lethargic bloke ever seen in a town shirt at 35 year old on the wing is unbelievable how he warrants a starting place in the team every week I'll never know like I say UNBELIEVABLE !!!

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 103
Perkins
February 13, 2016, 7:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
I very rarely post straight after a game, mainly in order to mull things over and not get carried away with instant emotions of joy or dissapointment , but today no amount of time will dispel the memory of what must go down as just about the worst display from a Town side if not this season possibly the last twenty.
Ok, the weather didn't help, but for goodness sake let's have some method to our game when playing lesser sides. We know we can play football against good sides but why do we always stumble against teams like we played today?.
As others have said no plan B, just constantly hoofing it upfield into the wind with little or no chance of any of our players either being there or being able to chase it, the passing was extremely poor from the start and got progressively worse as the game went on. It seems to me that whilst some of the players have some degree of technical skill, very few have a footballing brain.
Boreham Wood are not a good side but obviously very effective, and went home with what they set out to do, get a point. No wonder they have conceded far less goals this season than the majority of teams in this league, last ditch defending from the kick off, and booting it anywhere with only the odd glimpse of any football. They are in the bottom four, and not just because they stymied us today, but I sincerely hope they do get relegated, just so fans of any club in this division don't have to suffer the same sort of display next season.
Been home nearly two hours now and STILL BLOODY FREEZING!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 103
cmackenzie4
February 13, 2016, 7:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
We tried playing football, which I like, but until the 80th minute, there was no urgency!

Tait the only half decent player today

Tried playing football?  More like hoof ball!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 103
sydney
February 13, 2016, 7:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Just realised results have worsened since we stopped the Diz & Clay partnership in mid
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 103
jimgtfc
February 13, 2016, 8:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 45
Right bare with me...

Like everyone had said today was poor, but id like to look at our approach to the game today. We know that at home against teams who get men behind the ball that Hurst likes us to play out from the back, in an attempt to draw the opposition out, and it has worked in the past but today we looked torn between doing that and trying longer balls to get in behind. It seemed like his instructions were for Mckeown to give it to a centre half who then exchanges 5 or 6 passes with fellow defenders, gaining little ground, then bypass the midfield with a long pass up to the strikers. You must let the central midfield (preferably a 3) contribute when in possession to gradually move the ball forward. When your playing a possession based game like we tried today the players who should make the most touches and passes are the central midfielders not the centre halves. I don't think a 442 is suited to playing this style, not enough bodies in the middle of the park to move the ball. I'm also not convinced we have the players to play like this. We don't have that quality dominant midfielder who can dictate the play.

Looking at the weather and the opposition today I'd have gone for a high tempo pressing game, put their back 4 under pressure get them turned and facing their own goal with balls in behind their full backs which the wind would help hold up first half, and make them make mistakes, and then play football on the ground in their half, not ours.

We seemed stuck in between what to do today tactically, and for me that is what cost us victory. Sorry if I've bored anyone with that 😂

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 103
ginnywings
February 13, 2016, 8:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Funny how much better players get the longer they are out of the side. Clay is not playing, we are struggling, ergo it must be because Clay isn't playing. If we are missing the dynamic, free scoring, astute passing Clay, then we are worse off than i imagined.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 103
blasty
February 13, 2016, 8:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +227
Agree generally Ginny but given the run we were on and the fact we had just won 5-0 I do wonder the effect it has on morale and this much touted togetherness that one of the key contributors to this run is just then consigned to the bench to accommodate a new play thing.

I appreciate no player should feel undroppable but surely should also feel they have the right to a shirt when results are warranting it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 103
friskneymariner
February 13, 2016, 8:15pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Mendonca1995
Monkhouse got left on the pitch instead of Arnold wtf was all that about take off the most creative quickest and brightest player at the club and leave on the slowest weakest lethargic bloke ever seen in a town shirt at 35 year old on the wing is unbelievable how he warrants a starting place in the team every week I'll never know like I say UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Said that a couple of months ago and got slated.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 103
barralad
February 13, 2016, 8:18pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from blasty
Agree generally Ginny but given the run we were on and the fact we had just won 5-0 I do wonder the effect it has on morale and this much touted togetherness that one of the key contributors to this run is just then consigned to the bench to accommodate a new play thing.

I appreciate no player should feel undroppable but surely should also feel they have the right to a shirt when results are warranting it?

Or it could just be that Nolan's performances thus far have earned him his place in the team.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 103
DocTower
February 13, 2016, 8:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
They came used the wind in the first half and to pot shots , we hump it to that nu be 33 .   half time 0-0  Second on half did we shoot ? no , hump again to their number 33 . Surely the captain can see it ain't working , the manager can see it ain't working . It's the first time that the chap I was with was ready to walk out at 80 mins . Game plan , none , plan B never had one , new players didn't compliment what we have had before .

The weather didn't help but tactics again have proved to be our downfall yet again . Might be too soon to say that the season is petering out , if it is the play offs , the way we have been playing doesn't give me much confidence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.