HertsGTFC
February 14, 2016, 10:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from oldun
Well, even the pitch played badly today. What have they done too it? Players slipping about all over the place, Anyway as for the game, I won't use the word football because it was nearly non existent. We might not like the tactics but Boreham deserved their point that their defensive display warranted, including 2 or 3 excellent saves by the keeper. We started poorly and hardly improved at any time in the game. Nothing changed. We moved the ball too slowly, launched balls into the box which were easy meat for their defenders. Hardly ever ran at them. I am not blaming individual players as no-one covered themselves in glory. Surely Horwood is a stop gap cannot see how he improves the team. Shocking going forward. Did have one good shot and seemed to injury himself and should have been subbed at that time. I too failed to see how taking Arnold off and putting on a left sided wing back would lead to a winning goal. As for Nolan MOM that says how poor we were generally. Yes he does drive forward and looks to get us on the front foot, but defensively is not strong enough. So we are clearly in something of a slump and we have to lift ourselves to secure a playoff place which is not guaranteed yet.

Could not agree more TBH, Nolan was the best of a bad lot he may go forward with the ball but Clay does more work in 15 mins than Nolan appears to do in 90..

I assume Danny East must be injured again as I am amazed that PH thinks Horwood if a better bet than East.  

We looked like a team of strangers at times yesterday.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 103
ginnywings
February 14, 2016, 11:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Could not agree more TBH, Nolan was the best of a bad lot he may go forward with the ball but Clay does more work in 15 mins than Nolan appears to do in 90..

I assume Danny East must be injured again as I am amazed that PH thinks Horwood if a better bet than East.  

We looked like a team of strangers at times yesterday.

Running around a lot doesn't make you a good player.

Think it's also worth giving them a bit of credit. Their defence was very well organised.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 103
rancido
February 14, 2016, 12:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 2972[b
]Well, even the pitch played badly today. What have they done too it?[/b] Players slipping about all over the place, Anyway as for the game, I won't use the word football because it was nearly non existent. We might not like the tactics but Boreham deserved their point that their defensive display warranted, including 2 or 3 excellent saves by the keeper. We started poorly and hardly improved at any time in the game. Nothing changed. We moved the ball too slowly, launched balls into the box which were easy meat for their defenders. Hardly ever ran at them. I am not blaming individual players as no-one covered themselves in glory. Surely Horwood is a stop gap cannot see how he improves the team. Shocking going forward. Did have one good shot and seemed to injury himself and should have been subbed at that time. I too failed to see how taking Arnold off and putting on a left sided wing back would lead to a winning goal. As for Nolan MOM that says how poor we were generally. Yes he does drive forward and looks to get us on the front foot, but defensively is not strong enough. So we are clearly in something of a slump and we have to lift ourselves to secure a playoff place which is not guaranteed yet.

I understand the pitch was vey soft and in an attempt to firm it up the groundsman ordered a lot of sand and spread it around the playing surface. Allegedly a certain director reprimanded the groundsman for spending money on the sand without his consent !! It would seem that some people are experts on everything, including ground maintenance, and know more than a professional employed to do such a job.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 103
HertsGTFC
February 14, 2016, 2:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

Think it's also worth giving them a bit of credit. Their defence was very well organised.

Somebody else said similar after the game at about 5.45pm .............95.9 FM and 1485 MW.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 103
headingly_mariner
February 14, 2016, 2:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,380
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings

Whilst I can see Nolan is better with the ball, I do think the way Clay presses the ball high up puts us on the front foot and his desire to win the ball and make challanges was missed yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 103
Marinerz93
February 14, 2016, 2:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from rancido

I understand the pitch was vey soft and in an attempt to firm it up the groundsman ordered a lot of sand and spread it around the playing surface. Allegedly a certain director reprimanded the groundsman for spending money on the sand without his consent !! It would seem that some people are experts on everything, including ground maintenance, and know more than a professional employed to do such a job.

We have one of the best groundsman in football, that director should hold his head in shame, what a member.

Doesn't surprise you though, look what league the directors, directed us to.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 103
FishOutOfWater
February 14, 2016, 3:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Just got in after 3 hours in the car and I still can't believe how bad we where. Conditions where poor but they often are at BP so no surprises there. Also no surprises that we could not break down a team playing 4 - 1 - 4 -1 (well done Borehamwood for doing their home work) no surprises that we did not change the shape.

No surprises that it was not going well before half time and still no changes till 60 odd minutes. No surprises that we drop Bogle who caused them lets of problems earlier in the year at their place, no surprises that both central mid field players never took control of the game but stayed on.

No surprises that JP played so far away from his strike partner that their link play was non existent unlike when Podge & Omar play together. No surprises that the manager broke up a strike partnership that has yielded 36 goals in the league this year, no offence to JP though as I think he's a good guy.

No surprises that on this day last year we had a disappointing result losing to Brizzle and staying 3rd in the table the same place as we are now.

Take a breath.........

No surprises the opposition played the ref and we came away with the skipper suspended for the next 2 games.

No surprises that the gate was just short of 4,000 a crowd that most league 2 sides would call a "good gate" ...................... Support like that surely deserves better from the manager & players.

No surprises that the crowd was a mixture of all ages, ladies, gents, boys & girls, young & old. Many of whom have spent "hard earned" on their tickets, programmes, shirts, hats, scarves, refreshments and mascot packages.

No surprises that the manager came on Humberside and blames the conditions & pitch, gave credit to the opposition and never really acknowledged that we lacked ambition and the ability (or direction) to beat a team of part timers.

All being well this is a "bad day at the office" and hopefully not the sign of a group that had given up on the title weeks ago and are allowing any momentum in to the play offs ebb away.

So things are one again becoming predictable................. A cycle we need to break if and when we get into the play off's as another season in this league will test the loyalty of many and may finish it for some.  

Excellent post Herts....sums things up perfectly - good points and well reasoned.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 86 - 103
golfer
February 14, 2016, 7:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
What we ought to be doing is trying to sign their left winger. He would be brilliant in a side that gave him some support. Fastest player Ive seen all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 103
moosey_club
February 14, 2016, 8:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from golfer
What we ought to be doing is trying to sign their left winger. He would be brilliant in a side that gave him some support. Fastest player Ive seen all season.

Just like that winger from a couple of seasons ago against us....Mackreth...whatever happened to him.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 103
friskneymariner
February 14, 2016, 8:16pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
For me what yesterday highlighted was how little pace and creativity we have. This has been apparent from the beginning of the season,yet Hurst has continually failed to address it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.