Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gateshead v Town  Thread.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 103 Guests

Gateshead v Town  Thread.

This thread currently has 29,256 views. Print
27 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
March 27, 2013, 8:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
That is how I see it if we win on sat and have a good easter we will be in the playoffs If we can do this with Hearn getting a few run outs to sharpen him up for the playoff matches even better.

Glass now fully half full again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 260
ginnywings
March 27, 2013, 8:54am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Same old story though isn't it?

We always end up making excuses for another game we didn't win. Played well but were unlucky, that was never a pen, the ref was rubbish, the pitch was rubbish, we have to play more games than everyone else, too many players injured and tired, that was a decent away point.

Then we start saying, if we win the next game, if we win our games in hand, if we have a good christmas, new year, easter period, we'll win the league/ make the play offs/ avoid relegation. It doesn't happen, then another season is gone.

Teams that win things come home with the three points and move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 260
chaos33
March 27, 2013, 8:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Yep

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 260
RonMariner
March 27, 2013, 3:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings

We always end up making excuses for another game we didn't win. Played well but were unlucky, that was never a pen, the ref was rubbish, the pitch was rubbish, we have to play more games than everyone else, too many players injured and tired, that was a decent away point.

Then we start saying, if we win the next game, if we win our games in hand, if we have a good christmas, new year, easter period, we'll win the league/ make the play offs/ avoid relegation. It doesn't happen, then another season is gone.

We are in fifth place with a handy points and goal diff advantage over our closest rivals, neither of whom are exactly on a  great winning streak, with a very winnable home game coming up. Our star striker is strating to come back into the reconing.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 260
80sglory
March 27, 2013, 4:04pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
Cobblers. Either you're robbed or you aren't.

Yes we were.
Either it's wasn't a penalty or it was.

My "credit" comment was about how it doesn't seem to matter whether we dominate games or not.
Nothing to do with being "robbed" over the penalty.

Quoted from chaos33
I don't know what 'credit' you want me to give and to who

Any credit to the managers for some good recent performances would be welcome.

Quoted from chaos33
We played well but we wasted a golden opportunity to get three vital points.

There you go again...

How did we "waste" the opportunity exactly when a free kick is given that never should have been ?

Out of interest is EVERY game a "golden opportunity" that's "wasted" if we don't win ?
Cobblers !

Quoted from ginnywings
We always end up making excuses for another game we didn't win.

And what happens when we ride our luck, win 1-0 by not playing our best or Macca pulls off a string of saves to help grab a victory ?

Very few make "excuses" for winning then do they ?

Fact is, periods of good and bad fortune happen.
Some of the results to keep us right up there were "ground out" and most likely, we were most probably punching slightly above our weight.

So perhaps expectations were too high when we went TOP.
But in hindsight, should we not have bothered winning them ?
Should we have been downbeat and still moaned anyway ?

Please just answer me this...
How come these "runs" (good or bad) tend to happen a lot more often than Win, Lose, Win, Lose, Win, Lose etc ?
How come you can get 13 blacks on a roulette table followed by 8 reds ?
How come we haven't won in 6 yet went 18 unbeaten ?

You can't just ignor bad luck, injuries, packed fixture list etc as if we should be winning ALL season.

Quoted from ginnywings

Sorry but win, lose or draw you've been moaning all season.
tbf to you I'm a big fan of looking at the quality of performances (even after a win) and being objective myself.
But when there's never ANY postives to be taken during the whole season, I start to wonder if some people will ever be happy.
Quoted from RonMariner
If we don't win on Saturday, then we can all panic.

Can obviously appreciate the point but tbh, I don't even agree.

1) We don't even know how good the performance is yet.
2) It's a one off game. History is history, Nothing we do to change it now.
3) Even if we draw we're 3 games unbeaten.
4) What's the point in panicking anyway ?
5) No time for dissent and no point when you're striving for promotion and another Wembley appearance.

Let's have a recap of recent games shall we ?

Kiddy (H) - beaten by a very good side on the counter
Mansfield (A) - dominated for over an hour, unlucky not to nick one and hold on.
Cambridge (H) - hit badly by injuries, no Niven, deserved a point IMO.
Nuneaton (A) - ok give you that one, but was 2 days later and we conceded on the counter again.
Wrexham (N) - Drew FT, 10 mins from winning
Gateshead (A) - Dominated with a weakened team, very unlucky.

Just one win in that lot (most recently last night) and there's jubilation and no moaning.

Yes it's disappointing but sorry...
Are we really that fickle to look at a string of "results" alone and just ignor everything else ?

People like ginny or chaos can choose to throw the towel in or moan all they like.
But whatever happens on Saturday the underlying fact still remains we're clear in the playoffs after reaching the Trophy final with key players to return.
Reply: 244 - 260
RonMariner
March 27, 2013, 4:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Whoosh.......

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 260
80sglory
March 27, 2013, 4:15pm
Guest User
Ron I know you were being slightly sarcastic with your comment ?
Wasn't really replying to you or disagreeing with you.
Simply adding my own thoughts on the subject...

I KNOW for a fact you're one of the best and most positive fans on here.
Reply: 246 - 260
chaos33
March 27, 2013, 4:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Say what you like, judge who you want, view it your way....that's fine. There is room for critical analysis. This is not the same as negativity. Moaning is not something I do. You seem to regard anybody who challenges your views as 'negative'. Oh, and I'd be willing to bet that you won't find another poster on here who thinks we were 'robbed' in the Trophy final. You know why? Because we weren't. We lost fair and square to the better team on the day.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 260
Ipswin
March 27, 2013, 4:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from ginnywings

WHS

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 260
marinerjase
March 27, 2013, 4:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,679
Gold Stars: 147
Did 80'sglory write War & Peace??

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 260
27 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gateshead v Town  Thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.