Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gateshead v Town  Thread.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 85 Guests

Gateshead v Town  Thread.

This thread currently has 29,252 views. Print
27 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
March 27, 2013, 4:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from RonMariner

We are in fifth place with a handy points and goal diff advantage over our closest rivals, neither of whom are exactly on a  great winning streak, with a very winnable home game coming up. Our star striker is strating to come back into the reconing.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

Yes but are you satisfied with being the runners up in the Trophy and in the play-offs? I sense that expectations are being lowered almost daily -for instance  where are the 'we can still get automatic I won't give up until it's matematically impossible' folk?

There are still plenty of 'if you'd offered me a cup final and the play-offs last August I'd have taken it' merchants but really are you all satisfied with that? Will you consider the final and a play-off spot a successful season?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 250 - 260
RonMariner
March 27, 2013, 5:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from 1600
Ron I know you were being slightly sarcastic with your comment ?
Wasn't really replying to you or disagreeing with you.
Simply adding my own thoughts on the subject...

I KNOW for a fact you're one of the best and most positive fans on here.

Cheers, and I know that your heart is in the right place too. We are all so desperate to get out of this football graveyard that we can all take it really hard when results don't go our way. Until the end of Feb everything seemed to be going so well and then the wheels fell off.  Having seen the debacle at Nuineaten I do think that the Wembley performance was much much better, and it sounds like we did Ok under the circumstances last night.

Saturday is a big big match. Could eb soemthing of a turning point if we get back to winning ways.

UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 260
RonMariner
March 27, 2013, 5:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Yes but are you satisfied with being the runners up in the Trophy and in the play-offs? I sense that expectations are being lowered almost daily -for instance  where are the 'we can still get automatic I won't give up until it's matematically impossible' folk?

There are still plenty of 'if you'd offered me a cup final and the play-offs last August I'd have taken it' merchants but really are you all satisfied with that? Will you consider the final and a play-off spot a successful season?

No, not at all happy to lose the play offs. By optimistic I mean that I think we have a chance of winning the playoffs. And we do.  I remember being hammered 5-0 by Lincoln and then beating them twice in the playoffs. I remember beating Cheltenham twice in the season and then losing to them in the play offs. If we get there, we have chance. And with a fit Disley, Niven and Liam Hearn,  our great keeper, and solid back four, we would be tough for anyone to beat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 252 - 260
Ipswin
March 27, 2013, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from RonMariner

No, not at all happy to lose the play offs. By optimistic I mean that I think we have a chance of winning the playoffs. And we do.  I remember being hammered 5-0 by Lincoln and then beating them twice in the playoffs. I remember beating Cheltenham twice in the season and then losing to them in the play offs. If we get there, we have chance. And with a fit Disley, Niven and Liam Hearn,  our great keeper, and solid back four, we would be tough for anyone to beat.

So Ron, do you like me think that anything other than promotion (by whichever route) is a failure? In other words only getting out of this league will constitute a successful season irrespective on the Wembley visit and the improved final league position

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 260
marinerjase
March 27, 2013, 6:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,678
Gold Stars: 147
[quote=54]

So Ron, do you like me think that anything other than promotion (by whichever route) is a failure? In other words only getting out of this league will constitute a successful season irrespective on the Wembley visit and the improved final league position

[/quote

I'd concur with that. You could argue this year has been low on quality in terms of the whole league, certainly not as hard as last year, and therefore a very good chance to get out. If it doesn't happen I'd have strong worries long term on whether we can sustain our present set up. Yes Wembley money may help, in keeping losses down, temporarily..but how long until the next threat/sympathy/warning from the power that be?

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 254 - 260
80sglory
March 27, 2013, 7:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from marinerjase
Yes Wembley money may help, in keeping losses down, temporarily..but how long until the next threat/sympathy/warning from the power that be?

Exactly.
Even more reason to show support and get behind the campaign while we're in with a chance of promotion through the playoffs.
Reply: 255 - 260
highcliff mariner
March 27, 2013, 8:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from 1600
Ron I know you were being slightly sarcastic with your comment ?
Wasn't really replying to you or disagreeing with you.
Simply adding my own thoughts on the subject...

I KNOW for a fact you're one of the best and most positive fans on here

the best fan contest ? when is/was it ?
with regard to the qustion do i rate the seeason a failiure without promotion ? yup it would be for me , but i think at full strenbh or close to it ,we are a match for any of the competition , would rather avoid kiddy tho .

UTM

Private Message
Reply: 256 - 260
ginnywings
March 27, 2013, 8:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from chaos33
Say what you like, judge who you want, view it your way....that's fine. There is room for critical analysis. This is not the same as negativity. Moaning is not something I do. You seem to regard anybody who challenges your views as 'negative'. Oh, and I'd be willing to bet that you won't find another poster on here who thinks we were 'robbed' in the Trophy final. You know why? Because we weren't. We lost fair and square to the better team on the day.

Anyone who disagrees with 80's bory is obviously a miserable git who knows nothing about football. I think Town have been pretty much average all season and it pains me to say that the football we play is so boring it's almost unwatchable at times. Just been for a family meal and there was 6 Town fans there, five of whom had been to Wembley, and all of them are drunk off with our style of play. Three of them think if we don't go up, it should be the end of the road for S&H.

Someone said that S&H keep telling us what a good squad we have and that they wouldn't swap them for other players, and yet we constantly fail to win games we should be winning. Time to walk the walk, instead of talk the talk. These were not my words BTW.

Anyway 80's, was so pleased with the negative rep you gave me, that i awarded you a plus. Enjoy it you bore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 257 - 260
80sglory
March 27, 2013, 9:00pm
Guest User
This style of play thing is an interesting point.

Whether fans would be quite so drunk off if we were winning I don't know.
Rightly or wrongly I know you've expressed dissatisfaction with the fare on show at BP this season ginny.

I'm a fan of attractive passing football myself.
But let's be honest, under Woods there were complaints about "slackers", lack of hard work etc.

tbh I'm tempted to say "careful what you wish for".
Historically, the last decade hasn't been great and whatever you say, we're doing better this season even if recent results have been poor.

I just struggle to reconcile attractive passing football with a defensive mindset, a player like Derek Niven probably being the most loved and someone like Thanoj often given the cold shoulder.

If there IS to be a change of playing style, I wonder if we can really have our cake and eat it.
And whether some tough decisions need to be taken if we do change.
Reply: 258 - 260
RonMariner
March 27, 2013, 9:45pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Yes, going up is the only thing that will qualify as true success. If we don't go up we can still say that we have made progress, but it would still leave me dissapointed. I am desperate for us to get out of the BSP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 259 - 260
27 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gateshead v Town  Thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.