Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 176 Guests

Match thread

This thread currently has 19,609 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner2000
August 9, 2014, 3:36pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +166
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from brad_gtfc

We are missing arguably our 2 most creative players in Nielson and Arnold, don't panic just yet.

Neilson was here last year and we had no service so why should this year be any different.  Every year we sign players who we believe will provide but they do not.  To me this now seems to be less about the players and more about the management style.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 120 - 161
grimsby pete
August 9, 2014, 3:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,828
Gold Stars: 222
A good solid start to the season,

No body had a bad game,

Lets make Blundell Park a fortress again.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 161
bobbyturtle
August 9, 2014, 3:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
0-0, a good point gained and a clean sheet. Utm

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 161
oldun
August 9, 2014, 3:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
That's a good fixture to get out the way. I expect Bristol will improve on that showing as their new players settle in. Like us today they lacked an attacking threat. Town squad worked hard all game and could (maybe should have) nicked it, but hey an away point is always good. We need to get more points at Blundell Park and the next 2 games give us a chance to get some points on the board. Given he has only just arrived, I thought Connell, although a bit rusty did ok. He takes up some good positions and read the game well. His one effort in the first half was well hit and on target, but well blocked. Tired in the second but pleased we gave him for a while. I like Lennie but yes if his chance had fallen to Connell it would have been dispatched. With a patched up team it shows they can all do a job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 161
Madeleymariner
August 9, 2014, 3:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Thought Magnay was very average, why leave Connell on for so long when clearly not in the game after 60mins. At leasty at the end when he did take him off, stick one of the young ones on to chase and harry there defence for the last 10 mins, not another midfielder. Brown goes off with a cut that takes 5 mins to sort out, why not just bring on Clay/Winfarrah for fresh legs then, instead of playing for so long with 10 men (if he does not think Clay is good enough to play to 15 mins against Bristol why did we sign him). thought defence did a good job, Lenny usual hard work and Mclaughlin good touches when he got on the ball. Looks like the same boring negative set up as I watched numerous times last season. Good to get a point but Bristol were rubbish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 161
Alfie
August 9, 2014, 3:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Thought Magnay was very average, why leave Connell on for so long when clearly not in the game after 60mins. At leasty at the end when he did take him off, stick one of the young ones on to chase and harry there defence for the last 10 mins, not another midfielder. Brown goes off with a cut that takes 5 mins to sort out, why not just bring on Clay/Winfarrah for fresh legs then, instead of playing for so long with 10 men (if he does not think Clay is good enough to play to 15 mins against Bristol why did we sign him). thought defence did a good job, Lenny usual hard work and Mclaughlin good touches when he got on the ball. Looks like the same boring negative set up as I watched numerous times last season. Good to get a point but Bristol were rubbish.

Err - who did we have on the bench again?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 161
marinette
August 9, 2014, 3:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Not too bad.  Bristol R didn't look as if they had anything much to shout about.  Our new players seemed fairly comfortable although Connell didn't seem to be in the picture at all in the second half.  Agree Aswad had a good game.  Very pleased with a clean sheet, as that was a tough game on paper and psychologically, although not as tough as I expected, in reality.  Looking forward to seeing Shaun and Scott Neilson back in the team asap.  Lenny looking very tired towards the end.

Private Message
Reply: 126 - 161
DocTower
August 9, 2014, 3:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from mariner2000

Neilson was here last year and we had no service so why should this year be any different.  Every year we sign players who we believe will provide but they do not.  To me this now seems to be less about the players and more about the management style.

Like everyone is saying , patched up team , got a point from potentially a team who will finish in the top 5 . Early doors , first game . Tactics are the key so expect more tinkering ,
Think I'm going to wait a few games before I make a judgement on players or management .

or

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 161
August 9, 2014, 3:55pm
Guest User
Did anyone catch Hursts after match interview? Just curious to know if Arnold, Pitman and Hannah will be available for Tuesday.
Reply: 128 - 161
moosey_club
August 9, 2014, 3:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from mariner91

What was he realistically expected to do with so many forward players out? There were no forwards on the bench. Clay isn't a game changer and that left us with Winfarrah who is still a teenager who could come on as a forward option. With a full strength team we'd have had Hannah, Paddy, Arnold/Neilson/Pittman to choose from to make a difference which might have got us a win.

I would have expected him to do...........something!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He has built the squad, a squad with little back up up front, he has had to bring in two loan players before the season has even started because his squad, entirely his squad, is not sufficient.  
He did not try anything to go and win the game, they made three subs and they had the better of the second half, we just absorbed and made a defensive substitution in the last few minutes against a team who hardly managed a shot on target in 90 mins.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 161
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.